PDA

View Full Version : Dec 4-11: Good or Bad

RedSoxFan
07-03-2010, 07:20 AM
We are seriously considering this week for WDW with Kourtney who will be 14. She will miss 4 days of school as one day is already a day off.

I have heard this is Pop Warner week and that they also tape the Christmas Parade.

What type crowds should I expect?
And how does the taping of the parade impact the Magic Kingdom?

I'm thinking of staying at either WL or CSR.

Thanks!!

Strmchsr
07-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Staying at WL Pop Warner won't impact you much. You might see some groups in the park, but they are usually a bigger concern for the values and one or two moderates.

Crowds have grown a good bit during that time, but they are manageable. Just don't expect it to be empty.

MK is NUTS during the parade taping. I always avoid MK on parade taping days. Usually they do music acts in front of the castle on Friday and then the parade itself on Saturday and Sunday, which takes most of the day as they run a float, back it up, run it again, back it up, etc. So, I would definitely suggest another park on parade taping days.

RedSoxFan
07-03-2010, 07:53 AM
How do you find out which days they do the taping? It would be nice if it was the first weekend we plan to go.

RedSoxFan
07-03-2010, 08:20 AM
DH is now thinking --- due to Pop Warner and the parade taping --- of going December 11-19. Is this week busy?

Joannelet
07-03-2010, 08:27 AM
It's usually the first weekend in December.
Usually three days. Like this past year it was the 3, 4, and 5th or the 2, 3rd and 4th???....
It's fun to at least go one day to a taping just to see what goes on. :) Especially if your 14 year old will like who is performing...even better :)
I do have to say that we will not be going again during this time anytime soon. It was WAY too crowded and the lines were ridiculous in MK. The only park that was manageable was Animal Kingdom for us. The other parks were a little nuts. A 45 minute wait for It's a Small World was just beyond my comprehension. And Soarin and Test Track over 90 minutes....that's a lot more than what I am use to.

Joannelet
07-03-2010, 08:28 AM
The following week is MUCH better!!! Crowds were slowing down by the end of the week. We left on the 11th and yes it was MUCH LESS!!! That was around the time we did animal kingdom and it was such a wonderful day as the crowds were sooo low.

retiredfigment
07-03-2010, 08:56 AM
We were in Disney from Dec. 6-12 last year, staying at WL. It was great. Crowds were very manageable. CM kept us well informed about tapings.I was at MK when Jonas Brothers were being taped and getting around was no problem. They kept the 'audience' inside barrier and visitors outside of it. It might have been a little crazy once they were done. Because of rain we were gone by the time parade was being taped, but we probably would have avoided MK that day. All in all the best week I have ever spent at DW.

PetefromRI
07-03-2010, 09:00 AM
That's the exact dates that we will be at WL(4th-11th).We're not park commandos so we'll be O.K. but it would be nice if the crowds were smaller.I don't think that there's a slow time anymore.

Strmchsr
07-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Dec 11-19 will probably be a little better at the beginning, but then much more crowded at the end.

marylynne95
07-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I was there Dec 3-13 last year and yes i have been when it was less crowded, but it was very managabe. The parade taping was the first weekend we were there, we didn't go to MK that day, think it actually made the other parks less crowded. I actually noticed that towards the end of our trip it got more crowded. Good luck and have fun!! :mickey:

faline
07-03-2010, 07:17 PM
We were there in early December last year. I think the taping schedule was adjusted due to weather issues (rain I believe). Overall, the crowds were certainly manageable.

If you go the 11th-19th, you'll find the crowds increasing by the end of your trip as the holiday crowds begin arriving around then.

RedSoxFan
07-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Does Pop Warner last all week?

Strmchsr
07-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Does Pop Warner last all week?

Yes. Most of it anyway. Teams arrive at different points, but it's pretty much all week.

RedSoxFan
07-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Yes. Most of it anyway. Teams arrive at different points, but it's pretty much all week.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!!:mickey:

steamboat52
07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
This is too funny. I got on here this morning to post a question about going Dec. 12 for a week when I found this post. Is there agreement that the week of Dec. 12 is a good time to go?

In our party would be one person, close to elderly, who has never been and we'd be staying at AKL. The room is on hold until I have your answers.

forever a child
07-06-2010, 11:36 AM
This is too funny. I got on here this morning to post a question about going Dec. 12 for a week when I found this post. Is there agreement that the week of Dec. 12 is a good time to go?

In our party would be one person, close to elderly, who has never been and we'd be staying at AKL. The room is on hold until I have your answers.

That's when we are arriving too. I have not been during this time before, so this will be our first Dec trip. Seems to be a slower time than the week before or after. After all, it is not included in the black out dates for room only and free dining discounts. Pop Warner is the week before and Christmas week attendance builds the week after. Should be a great time! See ya there!:santa3:

Strmchsr
07-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Is there agreement that the week of Dec. 12 is a good time to go?

I think it's as good as any time during December. I saw several trip reports from 2009 saying that week was much more crowded than in the past, but you can say that for every week in December. It's becoming about the most popular month to go. But, mid-month does seem a little better than beginning and end of the month.

RedSoxFan
07-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I have this week already booked; 12/11-12/19.
Even better is now I have free dining. The previous week there is no free dining. Made my decision very easy!!

steamboat52
07-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Any idea if I can get free dining if we go on the PIN I got? Or do I have to pay full price for the room to get free dining?

KylesMom
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Any idea if I can get free dining if we go on the PIN I got? Or do I have to pay full price for the room to get free dining?
With Disney, it's one or the other. Unfortunately, they do not allow "stacked" discounts.

steamboat52
07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
I suspected that. I'll have to compare the numbers. I'm guessing that the room rate discount is greater. Thanks.