PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe, no park visit weekend advice

bcornette
07-02-2010, 10:49 PM
I have training the week of August 9th, my work is paying for room, food and transportation the week of training for me and my family (DW, DS8, DD 6, and DD2) by SeaWorld.
I saw that there is a room only discount I can use to go down the Fri - Sun ahead of training and just relax in the hotel and enjoy the resort.
I have never stayed at a deluxe before and want to stay where we can have the most fun just at the resort. I was original thinking AKL since it has the animals but from the pictures the pool looks pretty weak (I think POR pool looks better). So now I'm thinking the Beach Club, but just don't know.:confused:
Thanks

Seasonscraps
07-02-2010, 11:07 PM
DH & I have done that at the Boardwalk & WL - they are our two favorite resorts.

The Boardwalk is really great since there are a bunch of restaurants on the Boardwalk and at the other resorts. There's some performers and games on the boardwalk in the evenings. Jelly Rolls is a fun place to hang out in the evening. They have a nice feature pool [as long as you are ok with clowns. ;)] - the pool at the BC always looks crazy busy to me. I just really enjoy having a lot to do right outside the door without having to worry about buses or driving to other resorts.

Fastpasssteve
07-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Don't kid yourself. The Moderate resorts are great, but the level of luxury, landscaping, and theming present at a Deluxe Resort Pool is...impressive. You would enjoy them all. I'm staying for the first time at AKL this Fall. Take a look at the pool on the Internet. The detail that I noticed is that there are two (2) jacuzzi's there. Fun! Plus, two of my favorite restaurants on Disney property are there...Jiko & Boma.

However, it depends on your style. Take a look, take a chance. You won't be sorry.

SBETigg
07-03-2010, 06:51 AM
I've stayed at POR and the pool was well done, but it's not comparable to the AKL pool by appearances to me. The AKL pool also has a slide, and it's zero entry, plus hot tubs. The theming looks great to me, but maybe it's not your thing. If you're choosing a resort with the pool as a big consideration, then, yes, you would probably love the Beach Club. And the bonus is that you're close enough to Epcot to catch some of Illuminations and you have the Boardwalk to enjoy, too. Of course, being so close to Epcot might be tempting and might make you feel sad that you're not in the park. I think AKL is a great choice, but Beach Club is good, too.

GusNJacque
07-03-2010, 09:29 AM
The Beach Club is my home resort. There are several right in that area that you could pick and still be able to visit the other resorts. The Beach/Yacht Club pool is wonderful. Don't forget Beaches & Cream is right there. You want dining? Everything from Yachtsman steakhouse to Cape May buffet. Of course right there is the Board Walk with all it's own options. And you are within walking distance of the Swan & Dolphin. So many choices. Good luck!!

magicalmom
07-03-2010, 10:31 AM
AKL is marvelous - you can see the animals, try wonderful foods, (they also have kid food), the pool is really lovely,much larger the the one at POR. The African theming is stunning, and when we stayed there, they also had story telling for the kids.

One other thought: Although you can't pool hop, you can go to activities at other resorts, such as beach movies, campfires with marshmallows, Bob the piano man, and so forth. Maybe you want to stay where you'd be happiest with the pool, and then wander about a little?

Jillirose
07-03-2010, 11:54 AM
BCs our favorite for pool, atmosphere and boardwalk. :thumbsup:

bcornette
07-03-2010, 01:15 PM
thanks for the answers.
from the pics AKL pool definitely looked bigger than POR or CBR; but from a fun things for kids I just didn't see it with the same slides, guns, or water squirting things. Maybe it's the pics I was looking at.

Right now I think I'm leaning toward BC.

I was planning on doing a Ohana dinner so I could have a reason to watch the fireworks from the beach. What other non-park things should I try to do. I haven't gone to florida in over 10 years without going to a Disney park.

Cinderelley
07-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Have you considered Wilderness Lodge? You would be very close to Fort Wilderness. You guys could go to the campfire and watch the movie. There's horseback riding, carriage rides, animals to see, and you could go to Hoop De Doo and Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner. I think the kids would enjoy it. I think I would stay in one of the cabins for proximity, but you stated that you wanted to try a deluxe.

I know that Animal Kingdom Lodge has different things for the kids too like cast members who tell stories and night vision goggles for the guests. The Boardwalk is very entertaining for children in the evening too. My kids especially like the magic shows. I don't think you'll go wrong with any choice, but you know what your family likes most.

mickeefan
07-04-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't think this has been mentioned, but with 3 children you could go to Goofy's Cape May character breakfast at BC/YC.

luvDaMouse
07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Have you considered the Poly??My husband and I spent a weekend at the there, we hung out at the pool, had breakfast at Kona and dinner at Kona, rented the water mice and rode around Bay Lake. You said you want to go to Ohana's and watch fireworks from the beach so you would already be there. They have the volcano pool with a great slide and kids games during the day. There is the torch lighting ceremony at 6pm in the lobby. They also give out cookies in the lobby at about 3pm everyday. You could take the boat to Fort Wilderness I think they have a buffet at the trailsend cafe( I think its the least expensive buffet on property)The fort also does a campfire sing a long at night with ( I think Chip and Dale) You could also watch movies on the beach at night. Also ride the monorail around without even going into the parks! I am a big fan now of the Poly ( and I am a dvc member) I found it relaxing and beautiful and didnt even miss the parks.;)

mickeefan
07-04-2010, 03:23 PM
This last suggestion of the Poly is a great resort to consider. We love it there and it is our favorite.
You would be able to see the electric water parade and the fireworks from the MK all three nights. You could take a boat over to Wilderness lodge and eat at Whispering Canyon and tour the lodge.
You mentioned you wanted to eat at Ohana. I would suggest you check the on line dining to see if you can find any available times. At this point I would guess there are very few times available, if any. It does fill up fast.

SBETigg
07-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Something else to consider is that the BC or Poly have larger rooms than the AKL, plus most rooms have a day bed. No day beds at the AKL, as far as I know. If you have kids with you and space is a consideration, I would take advantage of larger accommodations.

MizMissy
07-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Another thing to consider about AKL is there are lots of kids activities offered - games around the pool, arts and crafts, telling stories around the fire pit. Your kids also are given beads when they complete each activity. One evening, our DD played games with one of the CMs (they made African music), DS watched cartoons in the lobby a few steps away and DH and I enjoyed a drink the lounge overlooking the animals on the savannah. Very, very relaxing evening. But, you do feel separated from Disney - which if I couldn't go to the parks, would be a good thing, much less temptation. I do not think I could stay at the Poly and see MK and not go in.

magicalmom
07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
AKL does have rooms with bunk beds - very nice when my two decided they couldn't share. :blush: