PDA

View Full Version : Late arrival, extra magic hours

sydzach
06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Hey, question, when you check in REALLY LATE, meaning probably between 11pm to 1am in the morning, is that ever a problem-should we call or let our travel agent with MJ know? We are driving down from Ga on our trip, it takes us anywhere from 7-8 hours depending on traffic and we probably will not be able to get away until 3-4pm due to school. I am hoping because we are checking in SOOO late, that process will go smoothly and we can get to the room quickly and hopefully get some sleep for our first day at the park.

We have mapped out or days and tried to hit parks with extra magic hours. Now that we are staying at POR, I think we might try to hit the parks early, then come back and relax for a few hours mid day, then head back in the early afternoon/evening and enjoy the extra magic hours. I have picked the extra hours at night, hoping we can maybe take a nap or just relax mid day. We have never experienced the extra hours before so very curious to see how that will work.

What is your experience with the extra hours-we are going the week before/during Thanksgiving so I am not sure how the crowds will be but really hopeful the weather will be much more pleasant than our normal spring/summer trips in the past.

faline
06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
We've arrived really late and it has not been a problem. Last December, our flight was delayed and it was around midnight or so when we finally got to the resort. On another occasion, we arrived around 1 in the morning.

The only evening extra magic hours we've attended has been at Animal Kingdom. On the evening we attended, it wasn't crowded and we went on every open attraction we wanted to within 1-1/2 hours.

Crowds at the beginning of Thanksgiving week aren't bad but increase during the week until it is very crowded by about Wednesday. It remains crowded throughout the weekend.

nicjohn3
06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
We went Thanksgiving 2008 and crowds were big no matter what day it was. Of course Sunday and Monday before Thanksgiving was less but still crowded and we did Extra hours in evening!! Bad choice for us. I remember crowds being bad even at 10-11 pm. ONe particular--Great Movie Ride had lines out the door and they were using all the lines indoors (that go back and forth). We left at that point and said never again--however, that "never again" only stuck with us till the next morning :) because we stuck with the EMH for the rest of the trip and 2-3 more trips after that one. I would still go again over Thanksgiving and do EMH because it is---Disney!!

sydzach
06-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the insight. I am hopeful that maybe Sat-Tu will be decent in regards to crowds. We plan to be at MK on Sunday and Tuesday, that being our favorite park. Then Epcot on Sat, HS on Monday, and Animal Kingdom on Wed our last day, because they have extra hours that day. Granted, I feel sure it will be crowded but I simply can't imagine it being more crowded than it was spring break of '09 which also was the week before Easter that year. Not only was it PACKED but it was very hot. Standing in lines when it is lower 90's that is pretty tough, compared to standing in lines with lower 80's or upper 70's.

nicjohn3
06-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Went over spring break of 09 also--Very similar :) Temperatures do make a difference like you said.:mickey:

CleveRocks
06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey, question, when you check in REALLY LATE, meaning probably between 11pm to 1am in the morning, is that ever a problem-should we call or let our travel agent with MJ know?
No need. You've already paid either one night's room rate (for a room-only reservation) or you've paid it off in full (for a package reservation), and as a result, Disney doesn't get jumpy about late arrivals. At plenty of other hotels you need to "guarantee for late arrival," but Disney resorts simply don't work that way. If you did call and tell them, there's not really even a way for them to note it on your reservation ... THAT is how meaningless it is to them.

At WDW resorts, you aren't considered a no-show until after 6 a.m. on the day after your arrival day. Your room will NOT be given away to someone else unless you arrive after 6 on the next morning.

Arriving late may be new to you, and it may be a big deal at other hotels, but at Disney it's just another day at the office.

Pirate Granny
06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I agree that at 'other' hotels it is a big issue. We are going to the MNSSHP and then plan to take a taxi over to our Universal Hotel...and even though there are three nights paid in full...they are less than happy to hold the room after midnight...come on...the room is PAID for...so, although our reservations state a very late (early morning 1:30am arrival time)...we will call more than a few times that day to remind them that we ARE NOT A NO-SHOW...if it wasn't a Saturday night I wouldn't worry, but with all the HP excitement I don't want to be left without a room.
:pirate:

IloveDisney71
06-30-2010, 11:36 PM
We've checked in at 1:30 or 2:00 at POP and had to actually wait in line because so many other people were also checking in late. It is not unusual for people to check in late to Disney. :mickey: We didn't call ahead and let them know we'd be late.