PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer Island

Guya103
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
In our many trips to WDW we have never visited Tom Sawyer Island. I have an eight year old little brother and am wondering what is there for him to do/see? Is it worth going over? Also, I have read something about a paint brush before, what is this? Thanks!:mickey:

Joannelet
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
It's basically an island for exploring. There are caves etc to see and go through. It's fun and your 8 yr old brother might like it.
The paint brush is something that is hidden in the morning. If you are the first one to find it bring it to a CM and you can be rewarded :)

Stu29573
06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I think its worth it. The most interesting things are the caves and the fort (complete with rifles that "shoot"). I think its several notches above most other "play areas."

dinahvixen
06-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I loved going when I was a kid, and I am female. There's caves and a barrel bridge in addition to the fort and it's a completely different atmosphere. I haven't taken my own girls over, though...

Camping Mom
06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Our family had never ventured over until my children were in their teens. They LOVED it! We have a great video of them pretending to guard the fort and shooting the bad guys "complete with added in gunshots in the editing." Another year our whole clan went (16 of us) and they had never been and we got great pictures. Go...the kids will love running thru the caves.

Bay Lake
06-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I have loved going over there ever since I was little. Now I am 39 and going in August and cant wait to cross the barrel bridges and chase my kids thru the caves. Look out for the "secret tunnel" out of the fort, it lets you out down along the banks of the river.

Guya103
06-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Sounds like fun! We will check it out in August:mickey: Also, isn't there a place on the island called Aunt Polly's that is a bakery or something like that?

Superzeus84
06-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Ehh, I went for the first time on my last trip. Its okay, moreso one of those things you do at WDW to say you have tried it. Im not saying its a waste of time or bad, just that I wouldnt go a second time. However, I might feel different about it if i had a child

RedSoxandPatsfan
06-28-2010, 06:40 PM
For an eight year old it's a lot of fun. I'd take him. It can be a great way to kill some time waiting for a FP return time to arrive at SM or BTMR.

magicalmom
06-28-2010, 08:58 PM
For a parent who's not roaming the island with the kids, there's a small landing that faces BTM -there are a couple of rocking chairs where you can set a spell and wave to the people on the paddlewheeler. DH took the girls through the caves and over the barrels, and I rocked.:cloud9:

finaldynasty
06-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Just got back yesterday and my 8 year old son loved it. It was our first time going over out or our 5 trips with our kids and he and I spent at least 1 1/2 hours just exploring. My DS made a friend shooting guns at the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Aunt Polly's was not open when we were there, which was around mid-day. I would recommend you take the time to take him over. The boat ride is short, but my DS mention that he was excited to ride a raft for the first time!

:mickey:

PlutoPlanet
06-29-2010, 12:06 PM
When our DD was 8 - 10 years old she loved TSI. It is a great place to run around an play. She needed that after waiting in line in the Florida heat.

phillydan
06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Took my DS7 on our last trip and he loved it; we had been passively avoiding it on previous trips. No real reason, except that it wasn't a must do. We went later in the day, so the paintbrush thing was done for the day.

I think the best part for him was that he could do what he wanted, versus waiting in line for an attraction and then not having any say in what happened. He really did not want to leave. His favorite ride is Big Thunder Mountain and you can really get a good view of it from the island.

If you have time, I would recommend it.

Daisy'sMom
06-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I was just thinking about this attraction today. I can't wait to take grandson there. Of course we have a wait, he is only 8 months old. But it will be so much fun, just as it was when his daddy was a little boy.
He loved to spend hours there, exploring and running around. Now we get to chase his son around.:mickey:

Darbylew
06-29-2010, 04:16 PM
We have done it and it is interesting. I think an eight year old will love it. It is not one of my
favorite things to do there at WDW. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
OCTOBER!!!!!!! :D

jaredkari
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I would go out there if I were you. We have only been out there one time but the one time we went out there it was really fun. We were on the first boat over in the morning and we were the only ones?!?! My wife and I walked back to the fort and we had it all to ourselves for about 20 minutes. It was pretty cool to be in the middle of WDW and be all alone. :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
As a kid back in the 70's TSI was second only to Space Mountain. I remember one trip a friend of mine and I spent over half the day scaring people in the caves! There are spots that as a kid you could climb up and perch yourself. People would walk under you and not even know you were there. It was amazing!! (so was Pong I guess!!):mickey:

DisneyDoug2
06-30-2010, 07:58 AM
We visit it every time we are in the MK, it a nice place for the kids to explore on there own and the parents can just sit on one of the many benchs and just relax as the kids run around!

CU Tiger
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
We do not go there every trip, but do go now and then. It is good to let the kids run around and be kids. We did the paint brush hunt and found two of them. That was a lot of fun and my DDs loved it.:mickey:

Snickerdoodle
06-30-2010, 09:59 AM
We've never been to Tom Sawyers island...I think we'll have to go next trip:thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I think we would go more if there was bridge there. The idea of being packed on those rafts in 100 degree days in August for 15 minutes or so is just dreadful!!!

joonyer
07-01-2010, 05:33 PM
The raft ride to TSI actually takes only about 3 minutes. On busy days you will have to wait for a while in the queue, though, before you get on the raft, just like most attractions at WDW.

CU Tiger
07-01-2010, 05:55 PM
The best time to go is early in the morning when it first opens. Hunt for the paint brush to get the free all day fast pass and enjoy the island before it gets too hot (if it is the hot time of the year when you go). Worked for us!:mickey:

Eric87
07-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I loved it as an 11 year old and more recently as a 28 year old. For a while there I hadn't been on the island, but last trip reminded me how great of a place it can be with a little imagination. Also got some great pics in front of BTMR.

xo0ally
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I honestly don't find it anything special. I go on TSI every once in a while but I don't make it a must-do on my trip.

KAT1811
07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Like the OP we have never done TSI. We have been a zillion times but it just doesn't appeal to us. Maybe when DS1 1/2 gets a little bigger we'll try it while we wait for the rest of our party to ride Splash Mtn and BTMRR.

Would it be tough to navigate the island with DS before he is a bit bigger? I think he may be a bit too small to have much fun. DD6 and DD4 would probably have fun but DD13 would probably not.

magicalmom
07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Last time we were on TSI my DDs were 12 and nearly 10, and loved it. It probably depends on the child and how active she likes to be.

WVParkfan
07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I think Tom Sawyer Island appeals to people from urban areas. For those of us who grew up in an area where you could jump across creeks, climb trees, and build forts in the woods, TSI is nothing special. In fact, it is boring. And it is certainly not worth the price of admission to a theme park to do what we can do in our backyard!

Tigerinvestigator
07-08-2010, 02:35 AM
I have many fond memories as a young child playing in Fort Sam Clemens. I used to love to shoot the air guns endlessly at BTMRR or when the riverboat would pass by. I guess my favorite thing was to take the escape tunnel out of the fort. Great memories. Remember when you could get cold fried chicken or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at Aunt Pollys! :thumbsup: