PDA

View Full Version : January/February

JabberJaws
06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
I know that, aside from the two holiday weekends of MLK day and Pres Day, that January and the first half of Feb. are considered good times to go and are "value" season.

What has been everyone's experience about these times? Crowds? later in january or early feb. better than early january?

Also, has anyone gone during MLK weekend? How is that weekend compared to other times?

Thanks!

Skippy
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Watch for Cheer at the beginning of February. This USED to be my favorite time to go. Crowds are still lower, however Disney has been working hard to balance the levels.

hokies4life
06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
We were down there this past Jan from the 16-23 and it was great. Good weather and not many crowds at all. The beginning part of that trip was MLK weekend, but we didn't notice any problems. Yes the crowds were larger than the rest of the week but they were no where near the levels of summertime. This is one of the times we're planning on making our future trips because the weather was pretty good and the crowds were low.

I should also mention that we stayed offsite so I don't have any info on bus waits and such.

faline
06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
January (after the holiday crowds leave) and early February have generally been a very good time to visit. Weather, however, can be quite variable and it can be cold at this time of year!

Maleficent_vf
06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
We've gone in early January - shortly after the first of the year - and have found it to be a great time to go. The only drawback (which wouldn't stop us from going again) is the shortness of day light hours. But WDW is beautiful at night, so it's not a major drawback.

RE: cold temps - it's all relative. We're from snow country, so weather in the 50s & 60s in January seems like heaven to us (it sure beats high 80s & 90s) :blush:

Snickerdoodle
06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
It's a great time to go, just be prepared for the chilly temperatures.:thumbsup:

ILoveMickey'77
06-30-2010, 03:56 PM
We went February 7 -14 last year and the crowds were minimal during the week. Now the weekends were a lot more crowded than we anticipated. We also went in the week in between the Super Bowl being in Tampa and the Daytona 500, so I don't know if that made a difference. But it was still much better than the 4th of July and Christmas......WAY BETTER!

The only two things that a "bad" about going during value season are the park hours, they aren't opened as late as during busier times and this is a time Disney likes to do a lot of refurbs, so your favorite ride could be down.

Gator
06-30-2010, 09:02 PM
The crowds were very manageable when we were there in January. The temps were perfect, but the week before we were there, it was highs in the 40s. Also, they had several things closed down - namely, Spash Mountain. Many other attractions were down for refurb, so be prepared to have your favorite shut down if you go during those months.

FenwayGirl
07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
The majority of our trips are in mid-January. Crowd levels are lower and no humidity.:cloud9:

MushuGrl
07-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Our last trip was the last week in January. We were lucky enough to get there on the tail-end of that awful cold snap that hit everyone last year, so to us the weather was perfect, somewhere between 60-80. (On the day it was 80, we got seven inches of snow in Tennessee. Talk about feeling in the Twilight Zone, getting phone pics of the white stuff while eating a Dole whip in my t-shirt!) Humidity's low, and it only rained once!

Crowds were manageable - this was our "hakuna matata" trip and we slept in every morning, made it to the parks about tenish, and still had very little wait (exception TSM). As a matter of fact, I walked on Test Track twice!

Downsides, as everyone has mentioned, parks close earlier, and more renovations happen around this time. (Splash is always closed during this time. And that's my excuse for not riding it this trip. So there.) If you are a water person, this isn't the best time to go.

I personally recommend it and would love to go back again during January!

EvilQueensRock
07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
This is crazy... but isn't one of the water parks typically closed during January?

Dyanna
07-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Typhoon Lagoon will be closed during this time.

Melanie
07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
RE: cold temps - it's all relative. We're from snow country, so weather in the 50s & 60s in January seems like heaven to us (it sure beats high 80s & 90s) :blush:

But this year it wasn't 50s-60s for a better part of Jan-Feb. It was 30s-40s. ;)

That said, I LOVE going in January. The week after the marathon (usually 2nd week of Jan) is great. :thumbsup:

disneykid@hrt
07-11-2010, 12:22 AM
We were there this year from January 9-17 and went back for a short little trip February 15-19. January was FREEZING. I mean I'm used to cold, I'm a midwesterner. It was a different type of cold. It was a colder winter than usual. This was when the farmers were defrosting their crops 24/7. The crowds were pretty much non-existant. We arrived the day of the marathon and left the Saturday of MLK. Then when we went back in February it was insanely busy. I'm glad we had just been. We spent more time walking around and enjoying shows. It was after the President's Day/ Valentine's Day. It was still cold then, but much more manageable.
And about the water park... DH and I went to BB in March of 2006 and it was pretty chilly then. When we were there in January we wore our winter coats a majority of the time. One day we were able to take a dip in the pool but it once we got out it was like "Okay put on your clothes and run to the room!!" Brrrrr...
But we're going back Jan 2-14!! Low crowds make it worth the sacrifice. And usually no Splash Mountain :(

Jillirose
07-11-2010, 09:40 PM
We have gone six times in FEB, the week before President's weekend. There are usually crowds, but as someone else mentioned, manageable. It does get busy on the weekend of President's day.

As someone mentioned, it was cold last year! Everyday!! Most years, it's been 60s 70s and one or two afternoons in the 80s. Plenty warm for us MI folk.

I just did a poll, and asked others if the week before or after President's weekend is better. DUe to cost and crowds, it looks like we will continue with our week before tradition.

DizNee143
07-13-2010, 10:09 AM
i LOVE going in January!
its my favorite time to go..
yes weather can be iffy..but i rather go at cooler times then going in the summer when you sweat like crazy even if all your doing is standing!!!!!!!!
crowds are pretty much not really there..lol..yes a few things may be down for refurb but oh well..youll get them next vacay!!! :mickey:
ive been at all different times in january..ive been there to celebrate the new year and leave around the 5th..ive been around the marthon quite a few times..and also gone around mlk weekend a few times also..considering my bday is around that time!!..really all of January is a pretty good time to go..at least in all my experiences..
im trying to plan my next trip for Jan 2012..i cant wait to go!!! :mickey:

EmmMOM2
07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
We are trying January for the first time this Jan!!

We are very excited about the change in temperature, as we usually go in the heat of August!!

Coming from the North, I don't think we will have a problem with the temps...heck, I'd wear short sleeves when its in the 50's

TikiLounger
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Haha...Yeah, here in NE, 50 degrees is a heat wave. ;)

Just have to say that we enjoy travelling to Disney so much more in the winter months (Dec-Feb). I'd rather walk around with sweatshirts and jeans (and maybe even gloves and hats) than walk around in 100 degree temps with 100% humidity. We visited last Jan. during the "record low temperature" cold spell and were more comfortable than this past June during the very high temps.

BellesRose
07-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I went the past January and February, and the weather was perfect! Crowds...well, we still had very long waits for most rides, but we went during the weekend, so that may have had something to do with it. It's definitely a great time to go, no doubt!

EvilQueensRock
07-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Sounds great! We are so used to being buried under Lake Effect snow in January I don't think we'll be fazed by 50 degree weather! Now... most importantly, as my dates are flexible...
arrive Sunday, Jan 9 and leave before MLK day, or arrive Wednesday, Jan 12 and leave the day after MLK? The second option causes DD to only miss 3 days of school as opposed to 5. On a side note, I scored ressies at CRT on Jan 13 so the whole trip has to be planned around that.:D
Seriously, how bad are the crowds MLK weekend?