PDA

View Full Version : How long of a drive from Central Ohio?

MuchLovedMama
06-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Anybody out there who has driven from Central Ohio (Columbus Area here) to Disney via the I-77 to I-95 route that can tell me how long it took you? Google maps estimates it at just over 16 hours for us and it's been about 12-14 years since we've made the drive so we can't remember exactly how long it took us then but we were thinking it was a couple hours less than that. We do tend to drive about 10mph over the speed limit so I know that makes up some time but just curious from folks who've drove it how long it took you. Other than gas and a drive thru for lunch and dinner we won't be making any other stops. Thanks!

SamG
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Just throwing this out here... leaving from Richmond, KY took us ~11 hours. Richmond to Columbus would be ~3.5 to the southern part of the city. That would be I71 to I-75 on down.

Tygger7
06-25-2010, 08:17 AM
We live just north of Columbus, OH and going to coastal route, which I highly recommend, takes just about 16 hours. This includes minimal stops though...last time we drove it, we left around 5pm and drove all night. We stopped around 5am and napped for a couple of hours, then ate a "sit down" breakfast. We got back on the road at 8am and crossed onto Disney property right at noon. So, actual driving time was right about 16 hours, but we took a little a longer due to our nap & breakfast. :D

Now, just my personal preference, but I don't recommend taking the I-71/1-75 route. Traffic was terrible through Cincinnati & Atlanta the last time went went that way, and we got stuck in a 4-hour traffic jam just south of Atlanta. You have to go through Charleston, Columbia, & Jacksonville going the coastal route, but trust me, they're 1000% better than Cincinnati or Atlanta. There are also toll roads going the coast, but to us, it's worth every penny to avoid the major cities.

Happy travels!

Tygger7
06-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Oh, and I almost forgot! Don't go I-70 east to I-77...that's the long way. From Grove City, take I-270 to St. Rt. 33 towards Lancaster. You can stay on St. Rt. 33 all the way to the Ohio river, and you pick up I-77 just after you cross into West Virginia. It's a beautiful drive, very relaxing, and MUCH quicker than going out I-70 to I-77...we timed it and it cut an hour off the drive. (Would have taken 17 hours going the other way.)

MuchLovedMama
06-25-2010, 09:32 AM
We live just north of Columbus, OH and going to coastal route, which I highly recommend, takes just about 16 hours. This includes minimal stops though...last time we drove it, we left around 5pm and drove all night. We stopped around 5am and napped for a couple of hours, then ate a "sit down" breakfast. We got back on the road at 8am and crossed onto Disney property right at noon. So, actual driving time was right about 16 hours, but we took a little a longer due to our nap & breakfast. :D

Now, just my personal preference, but I don't recommend taking the I-71/1-75 route. Traffic was terrible through Cincinnati & Atlanta the last time went went that way, and we got stuck in a 4-hour traffic jam just south of Atlanta. You have to go through Charleston, Columbia, & Jacksonville going the coastal route, but trust me, they're 1000% better than Cincinnati or Atlanta. There are also toll roads going the coast, but to us, it's worth every penny to avoid the major cities.

Happy travels!

Yeah, I would never take the I-75 route. Even seems out of the way to me. You go too far west in my opinion. And no, we don't do I-71 or even I-70. We go down 23 for about 20 miles or so and in or around Chilicothe there's a Route 35 that takes us to I-77. That's what we did about 12 years ago and enjoyed it. So, that's the plan this time around.