PDA

View Full Version : Swan and Dolphin

xo0ally
06-23-2010, 04:21 PM
I know the Swan and Dolphin are not Disney World hotels but do they still have to Disney magic feel? Or do you feel like you are completely surrounded by business people and there is no Disney Magic?

Tigerinvestigator
06-24-2010, 01:42 AM
In our many stays there, we have noticed very few business people other than when you walk near the convention center. Mostly families going to the parks like every other resort on property. For us the magic is definately there. How can it not be when you look out your window at Epcot or the Studios. You hear and see the water taxis coming and going. The boardwalk is a 1 minute walk away. We absolutely love these resorts and have never had anything but magical experiences. We've now stayed in most all the resorts on property and rank Swan/Dolphin right up there with the best on property.:thumbsup:

Rekenna
06-24-2010, 08:24 AM
On the contrary-you can see the Boardwalk, the purple lights on TOT at DHS and SE at Epcot. We stayed at the Dolphin, it is a beautiful hotel, we felt very "Disney" there.

Also, when you go into the lobby there is a wonderful citrus smell that will totally make you think you are on Soarin'.

Try it, you'll like it!

xo0ally
06-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Have either of you used the teacher discount there and if so is it a good discount or not worth it?

Figment!
06-24-2010, 04:38 PM
We used the teacher discount on our 4 last trips, it has been an excellent value for us.

I believe we've saved around $200 a night with it in the past.

See the Teacher discount page for more info: Swan & Dolphin's Thank you Teachers and Support Staff (http://www.swandolphin.com/offers/teachers/index.html)

Regarding the themeing, we've never felt like we were staying at "just-another-hotel". The decor is not as geographically or time period themed as many of the Disney owned hotels, but the lobbies and grounds are of a whimsical architecture that is very unique.

As far as being surrounded by conventioneers, I think I can honestly say I saw more bussiness people milling around when staying at the Contemporary or Beach Club. If this is a major concern for you, choose a stay at the Swan. The convention center is connected to the Dolphin and thus most of the conventioneers stay there.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-24-2010, 08:10 PM
There's nothing like sitting in the hot tub or pool at night and hearing the music from Fantasmic! I don't think you'll be disappointed if you stay there. You've got 3 "official" Disney hotels right there plus the Boardwalk entertainment and views of both fireworks at night. Partial views but you can still see them.

EllieMae
06-24-2010, 09:29 PM
We used the teacher discount this year on our honeymoon. We went at Christmas and couldn't afford to stay at the Beach Club where we usually stay when we go. The discount was wonderful ( we payed just over $150 a night for rack rate $450 a night room) and we got to be in our favorite area of WDW! We thought the hotel was wonderful. We ate at the Blue Zoo on a whim and it was great ( I probably would have never tried it if not staying there), the lobby bar was great for a drink after a long day in the parks, the bartenders were very friendly as were everyone who worked there. The store was on par with other delux hotels and the spa was excellent! We were in the dolphin so all of those options were right down the elevator for us. If our family did not have DVC at BCV I would definitely stay there anytime on the teacher discount!

Dream'nDisney
06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
During our recent trip, we ended up eating over at the Dolphin twice. We also got off the bus at the Dolphin and walked to our room at YC a few times because our room was actually pretty close the the Dolphin and we just felt like getting of the bus that much quicker. This resort is gorgious! My sister decided to change their summer vacation plans and come to WDW because I was talking with her during our trip, and they got so excited hearing all the fun we were having. So, she being a teacher, I had her check the prices at the Dolphin because I told her how wonderful the Epcot resort area was. She saved quite a bit. I took several pictures of the resort and emailed them to her. They are their right now, having a wonderful time! They love the resort. They also get to take advantage of EMH, which I didn't realize they could do... an extra bonus!! Plus, since her husband has AARP, they got an even bigger discount! To top it off, the resort manager called her a couple days before they were to arrive and indicated that they had a cancellation, and could get a larger room (I guess a suite) for just about $15 more per night. They are loving the extra space. I can give more details after I talk with her again. Oh, the kids are LOVING the pool. It has a waterfall and slide, and nicely spread out.

xo0ally
06-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the help! My family is considering not staying there because its technically not a "Disney hotel". Why is that?

crltkcagle
06-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I am so confused about these resorts. Its not a "disney resort" but you still get all the perks right? Like Dining and EMH?

xo0ally
06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
yes i am confused too, and that is true you get all the perks and stuff but it's not a DIsney hotel. It's on property but not DIsney owned, yet it is still called Walt Disney's Swan and Dolphin. They got me, i can't figure it out?:confused:

Tigerinvestigator
06-28-2010, 12:30 AM
yes i am confused too, and that is true you get all the perks and stuff but it's not a DIsney hotel. It's on property but not DIsney owned, yet it is still called Walt Disney's Swan and Dolphin. They got me, i can't figure it out?:confused:

Really not as confusing as it sounds. Walt Disney World allowed Sheraton/Westin resorts to build the Swan/Dolphin on Disney Property in the middle of the magic. They are the only non-disney owned resorts in the heart of the resort other than shades of green which is for military personnel. They are still luxury resorts in one of the best locations on property. There is a Disney guest relations desk in both, a disney store in both, the staff is fantastic, the restaurants are among the best on property. The views of WDW from the guest rooms simply cannot be beat. The heavenly beds alone make it worth every penny after a long day in the parks. You enjoy all of the perks that the disney owned resorts have except the ability to charge in the parks to your room and magical express pickup. My family has stayed at almost every resort some multiple times and we feel and experience the magic at these resorts every bit as much as the disney owned. We love the water taxis that the resort shares with the boardwalk and Disney's Yacht and Beach clubs. The easy walk to Epcot is also appealing. I know it sounds like I own the place and am trying to sell it but I don't, I just think alot of people miss out by not experiencing these resorts because they are not "Disney owned" resorts.:thumbsup:

Melanie
06-28-2010, 07:13 AM
I just think alot of people miss out by not experiencing these resorts because they are not "Disney owned" resorts.:thumbsup:

Agreed! We poo-poo'd it for years until trying it last month and loved it. Can't wait for our return weekend to the Swan in October! :thumbsup:

Scar
06-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Walt Disney World allowed Sheraton/Westin resorts to build the Swan/Dolphin on Disney Property in the middle of the magic.Just to clarify, Tishman built and owns The Swan & Dolphin. Starwood/Westin/Sheraton manages them.

Jeff
06-28-2010, 10:49 AM
My family has been staying at the Swan for years, usually over Christmas - We love it and are planning to be back there this Christmas.

Don't let the nay-sayers scare you away. Most of the folks who say the S&D are not good and lack the "magic" have never stayed at either. In fact, most have just looked at them from a boat or a bus. We have stayed at many resorts on property in all categories and the Swan is my DW's favorite.

Frog
06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
i remember reading somewhere that emh would work from the swan and dophin, but if you wanted on the dining plan, you would need to stay somewhere else.. can someone more knowledgable than i clarify that?

Scar
06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
i remember reading somewhere that emh would work from the swan and dophin, but if you wanted on the dining plan, you would need to stay somewhere else.. can someone more knowledgable than i clarify that?Confirmed. And that somewhere else would have to be a Disney owned resort.

crazypoohbear
06-30-2010, 09:32 PM
as scar pointed out you can not have the dining plan while staying at the swan or dolphin.
however, the dolphin was the first hotel we stayed at when my youngest was 3 and 1/2. We stayed there many times before "finally" staying at a disney owned resort. When we checked into PORS his 1st words were "when can we move to the dolphin, my real disney hotel"
We love the dolphin, the grotto pool, picabo, and the location.
As for not having a "disney feel"
the same year my youngest was 3 and 1/2 he became sick, I called the front desk and asked where the closest walk in clinic was.
They offered to have someone drive me there, wait and then take us to the pharmacy.
I declined as we had a rental car.
When we returned to the hotel after visiting the doctor the hotel had left 2 stuffed dolphins on the beds as well as a get well card for my son. (they left 2 dolphins because I have 2 sons, the staff looked up our reservation to insure no one was left out) If THAT is not disney magic I don't know what is!!!!
Stay at the swan or dolphin you will love the disney feel!

Disney Yankee
07-01-2010, 12:06 PM
We stayed at the Swan a few years ago, and loved it. We used my teacher discount, and had a wonderful view of The Boardwalk and DHS. I was just looking at the pictures, and it reminded me of what a fantastic view we had! :cloud9:I think it was one of the best views we ever had, and we have stayed at BCV, BWV and the Contemporary! Don't worry, there is plenty of Disney Magic to be found at the Swan and Dolphin!!! :mickey:Have fun!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Just to clarify, Tishman built and owns The Swan & Dolphin. Starwood/Westin/Sheraton manages them.

Scar is right on the money with this. And to explain further, Disney is their landlord. They rent the space from Disney.

big blue and hairy
07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
DW and I have stayed at most all of the WDW resorts. The only exceptions being Yacht CLub, Beach Club, and Boardwalk. Why? Because every time we talk about it we can't pass up the Florida resident rates at the Swalphin. We have stayed there several times and always enjoyed it. The beds are heavenly, as advertised.

:sulley: