PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland Building Permits Issued

Ed
06-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Walt Disney World has pulled a $15 million building permit to construct the Journey of the Little Mermaid, the Little Mermaid-themed dark ride at the center of the Magic Kingdom’s sweeping Fantasyland expansion.

The permit, which was issued by the Reedy Creek Improvement District in early March, covers design and construction work. Reedy Creek puts the value of the work covered by the permit at $15.4 million.

The district has also issued at least two other permits related to the Little Mermaid ride, one for a backstage employee sidewalk and another to relocate existing lighting.

Among other Fantasyland-related permits that District has issued so far are permits to disconnect mechanical, electrical and plumbing infrastructure at Ariel’s Grotto (which will become the site of a Beauty and the Beast-themed area); demolish the Scuttle’s Landing eatery; and remove a backstage maintenance shed in the area of the former 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction. The expanded Fantasyland is scheduled to open in phases beginning in 2012.

With the Fantasyland construction having begun in earnest, building activity at Reedy Creek is mushrooming. The district says it permitted projects with a combined construction value of $23.2 million in March 2010, up 192 percent from the same month last year.

Meanwhile, the number of building permits issued rose 24 percent in April and 4 percent in May. (Details on total number of permits issued for March and construction valuation for April or May weren’t immediately available.)

Other recent big-ticket permits issued by Reedy Creek include one to redo the Mexican cantina restaurant in Epcot (valued at $4.8 million), another to rehab the façade of the Expo Hall in the Magic Kingdom ($1.6 million) and another for an exterior remodeling at the Days of Christmas shop at Downtown Disney ($700,000).

wdwfansince75
06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Permit was pulled by Disney...
I am confused....
Term "pulled" usually means "withdrawn"...but permits (permission) is usually withdrawn by issuing agency, not recipient. Does this mean that the permit issued in March is now on hold?

Ed
06-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Permit was pulled by Disney...
I am confused....
Term "pulled" usually means "withdrawn"...but permits (permission) is usually withdrawn by issuing agency, not recipient. Does this mean that the permit issued in March is now on hold?

In the construction world, the term "pulled a permit" means that the contractor or property owner has applied for and been granted a permit. It does not mean that the permit has been withdrawn.

Exactly why such a confusing term found its way into widespread use is beyond my comprehension.... :shrug:

Ms. Mode
06-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Hey Ed,

Do you know why they are using the term "dark" for Arial's new ride? I had heard it's going to be a water ride using the old 10,000 Leagues spot, but "dark" could mean anything. :cool:

kakn7294
06-22-2010, 10:03 AM
If it's what they previewed recently at DL, it is a dark ride with an omnimover ride system (think Haunted Mansion). Guests ride in clam shells like in Nemo and Friends through Ariel's undersea world.

Ms. Mode
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks! I was wondering if it was going to go "under the sea" or something...;)

crltkcagle
06-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Cool beans!!!!

BellesRose
06-24-2010, 01:08 PM
A Beauty and the Beast themed area?! REALLY?? :party::D:thumbsup: