PDA

View Full Version : No Advance Ressie available at Ohana. Help!

Jessietoystory2
06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
We will be staying at the Poly and would like to eat dinner one night at Ohana's. I tried to make advanced reservations and they are all booked. Will they take a walk up?

faline
06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
When are you going to be there? This is a very popular restaurant and it might be quite difficult to get in as a walk-up.

I'd suggest you keep trying. You might get lucky and someone cancels. Last December, we went to Disney with my brother's family and it took me until two days before we left, but with daily checking (sometimes several times a day), I was able to secure a breakfast reservation at Chef Mickeys' at a time I wanted.

Jared
06-21-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree with everything Linda wrote. 'Ohana typically fills during the busier seasons denies walk-ups. Even in January, when I last ate there for dinner, the line at the podium extended almost back to Kona Cafe, and the hostess quoted a brutal wait for groups without reservations.

I suggest checking the website periodically between now and your trip. Cancellations happen more frequently than you may expect. You just have to hope you are the lucky one who snags the open table.

Good luck!

Hammer
06-21-2010, 09:08 PM
There are a few factors which influence the answer to your question:

What time you arrive at 'Ohana
How many are in your party
Time of year

I just returned from a solo trip to WDW. On Sunday, June 13th, I had a reservation at Grand Floridian Cafe for dinner. As I was ready about 30 minutes early, I decided to stop at the Polynesian to see what the lines looked like there and maybe change to Kona Cafe. The time was 6:00, so each had been serving dinner for at least an hour. I noticed that there wasn't much of a crowd waiting for 'Ohana so I walked up to the podium and asked if they could seat me as a walk up. They said no problem and I was seated within 5 minutes at a table for 3 people (yes, I did cancel my GFC reservation). Now when I left after 7:15, the lobby was more crowded. I just wanted to say that you can get seated as a walk up, but it helps if you are a small party and get there before 6:30.

DisneyorBust
06-21-2010, 09:55 PM
We had changed our vacation from December to September and found ourselves within the 180 day ADR window. We wanted to dine at 'Ohanas and they were booked for the entire week of our stay. I just kept trying, using the on line reservation system, and after 10 days of trying, success! So it was booked and our other ADR was cancelled. Just keep trying ! People constantly cancel or change ADR's, don't give up hope.

1EeyoreFan
06-21-2010, 10:02 PM
We were there in May and were told they had no openings for the entire week we were there. We took a chance and called from our room at the resort and they told us they could get us in for that same evening!

We were also able to get a walk in for LaCellier and Garden Grill for an early dinner eventhough they were also booked for the week when we tried for ADRs. We noticed as it got later this was not an option. I guess the early dining was the key.

Fastpasssteve
06-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Don't lose hope. People cancel and change plans all the time. Every day, every hour, every minute things shift.

Jessietoystory2
06-22-2010, 09:31 AM
We will be there on July 22 for 5 days. We have five people in our party. I will keep on checking everyday to see if someone cancels. Everytime we go to WDW we have dinner at Ohana's. It's kind of a tradition. The problem was my husband decided to suprise me about a week ago and tell me we were going to WDW to celebrate our 20th anniversary and our son's recent graduation from High School. Otherwise I would have booked something like this way in advance. Thanks for all the advice

faline
06-22-2010, 10:52 AM
While you will be there at a very busy time, you still have time to hope for an opening or a cancellation. Although you're already within the 45 day time frame (the point at which packages must be canceled without penalty), folks with room only reservations can cancel up to 5 days before arrival.

Even if you don't manage to get something prior to arrival, I'd all Disney Dining after arrival as well.

southerngirl
06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
We're going to be down there at the same time, and I also wanted an ADR at O'hana. Our travel party is just 3 people (DH, DS and me), and I made our trip reservations back in late April. Even then, I couldn't get an ADR for dinner at O'hana for any night of our trip, even by using the IPO at the Poly! I kept checking the on-line system every day though, and I finally found one at 5:30. So, I'd keep checking. And, since you're staying at the Poly, you could always walk up to the podium right when the restaurant opens a couple of nights (assuming your plans are flexible) and see what's available. You might get lucky that way, and if you don't, Kona is right there, and it's generally not tough to do a walk-in there, especially early or late in the evening.

#1disneyfan
06-23-2010, 03:45 PM
I just scored a ressie at O'hanas for our upcoming trip and previously they had nothing (other than 9:30 pm). I was able to get someone's cancellations for a dinner at a reasonable hour. So I would suggest checking at least daily!!

Good luck and have a great trip! :mickey:

Pigtunia
06-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Play around with the times (earlier or later than you planned). When I first tried to get ressies for November, they didn't have the time I wanted (the site said nothing was available). I tried for a time 30 minutes later than my initial request, and voila, I got it.

Heh, more time for a fancy drink at Tambu Lounge. :marg:

Good luck! We love 'Ohana.

Gregandmel
06-25-2010, 02:07 PM
We had 5:05pm dinner reservations there one night on our last trip April 2010. People start lining up around 4:45pm to "check in". We got there around 5:00pm and there were about 15 people ahead of us. The guy standing in front of us was a "walk up" with his family of 4. He asked what the expected time of being able to be sat was, and the CM told him up to 2 hours. He went ahead and put his name in, went to the bar to get a couple of drinks for him and his wife, and about 30 minutes later we saw his family being sat. So......it may depend on the time of year you are going, but because he was there first thing, it may have given him a better chance when the "no shows" started appearing. Not sure...but worth a try! It's a definite favorite of ours! :thumbsup:

Tigerinvestigator
06-26-2010, 12:49 AM
A couple of things that will help. Staying at the resort will give you a better chance because you can check each night without much work. I would suggest definately trying if you get a rainy night. We have always had so much luck getting booked restaurants when it rains. For some reason there will always be a few who don't brave the weather to go eat. This is especially true in the parks late at night when it is raining because some will leave the park or go back to their resort.:thumbsup:

Jessietoystory2
06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Thank you for all your help. I checked several times a day based on everyones advice & I got a reservation! O'hana's is my husband's favorite restaurant (and mine too). We are celebrating our 20th anniversary. This is going to be the best vaction ever!!!!