PDA

View Full Version : So many choices...

SamG
06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Just starting to plan a vacation for 2011... end May/beginning June. Trying to decide where to stay. We are spoiled, we generally stay Deluxe (WL & Poly last two trips). There will be 5 of us (DW, myself, DD12, DS7, DD5).

Looking at WL, Poly, CR, & AK. Also considering renting DVC points (bigger room) at BLT or AKV.

The DVC points is SLIGHTLY more expensive than standard rooms. But for a larger room, it may be worth it. We'll spend late evenings at the hotel (probably swimming by moonlight). Family usually doesn't do early mornings (I know, I know).

Thoughts, suggestions?

SBETigg
06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
All good choices. With five, you might really like to have the room to spread out a bit, as you say. I would choose Poly or CR, but maybe look into the BLT. I would rule out AK and WL as the regular rooms are smaller there and space will be more limited, unless you get a DVC space or one of the suite type rooms. All good choices, really. I can see why it's a tough call. I think BLT has a lot to offer, though, and might be a nice change, with the Top of the World Lounge and proximity to MK.

TammiMcMan
06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
There will be 5 of us (DW, myself, DD12, DS7, DD5).

Looking at WL, Poly, CR, & AK. Also considering renting DVC points (bigger room) at BLT or AKV.

The DVC points is SLIGHTLY more expensive than standard rooms. But for a larger room, it may be worth it.Of your resort choices, only the Poly and CR have standard rooms that would hold 5. For AK and WL, you'd need to price out 2 rooms or a suite, which makes those two resorts significantly more expensive.

The great things with AKV and BLT are that you can get a 1-bedroom unit that would hold all 5 of you. For a slightly higher cost as you mentioned, but you could probably make up the difference pretty easily just by having breakfast in your kitchen before heading to the park. Personally, I'd like to stay in BLT, so I'd lean towards that one, but it really comes down to your families preference to theme and location.

Pirate Granny
06-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Rented points at BLT are more expensive than at other Disney DVC's. And there are three levels of roomS also. One person will have to sleep on the hide a bed (couch).
:pirate:

diz_girl
06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Just a warning, if you rent points for a 1 br at BLT, then three people will have to sleep in pull-outs, two in the pull-out sofa and one in the pull-out chair. The master BR in BLT has only a king bed, not two queen beds. If you rent points for a 2 br at BLT, then everyone gets to sleep in a bed because there will be a king bed in the master BR and two queen beds in the second bedroom. The difference in renting points (and depending on the view) to go from a 1 br to a 2 br at BLT could cost you an extra $1,000 for a week's stay, as you'll probably need an extra 70-80 points at $12-$13 per point.

If you decide to get a room at the Poly, try requesting the Tokelau building. The rooms in that building are the largest non-suite rooms in the resort. For that extra $1,000, you could splurge for club level at the poly.

TammiMcMan
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
The master BR in BLT has only a king bed, not two queen beds. With 2 adults and 3 kids (same as me), this sounds like the perfect setup :D .

SamG
06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
The last hotel (non-Disney) we stayed out had one queen & a pull out sofa. DW & I got the queen, the two DD's got the pull out and DS slept on the floor. I think the 1 bedroom would work fine. :thumbsup: I appreciate the advice though.

Trying to decide between BLT & AKV. Anyone got a coin? lol

TammiMcMan
06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Trying to decide between BLT & AKV. Anyone got a coin? lolSuch a difficult choice, they both offer unique things. If you and your wife aren't leaning towards one over the other, maybe put it up for a family vote. Although, I would imagine the appeal of the animals on the savannah is going to sway the kids decision. For transportation and location though, I'd have to give the nod to BLT. Tough one :shrug: .