PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scene tour

squad_51
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
My wife and I want to take the big tour next year when we take our family. Is this tour worth it? What do you see? Is the lunch good? Tell us about it.

retiredfigment
06-21-2010, 06:09 PM
We've done it twice. First time in 2001. It was fast passed, tour guide very knowledgable, lunch at Mama Rosas. It was really wonderful and well worth money. Second time in 2009. It was still a lot of fun, but we didn't see as much and it was slower. We went behind scenes at American Adventure - awesome to see equipment. Also went to the corridors 'under' Magic Kingdom, though this time did not see huge control room with computers, saw where plants were grown, toured costuming, and went behind scenes at AK where the parade set up, then went to parade. Lunch was at Whispering Canyon. Did not care as much for the guide the second time - was more business and less 'magic' orientated. Either way, if you have never done it, it is well worth it. Do you have a Disney Visa card? You get 20% off. And you mentioned family - need to be over 18 I believe.

faline
06-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Are you talking about a full day tour or another one?

retiredfigment
06-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Oops, I assumed when you said 'big tour' you meant the all day Backstage Magic Tour.

squad_51
06-21-2010, 11:47 PM
yes, I ment the all day backstage magic tour. We are bringing my parents, (the kids grandparents), so they may watch the kids. I am a train fan and would like to see the monorail shop, does the tour go through there or does any tour?

Simba 1
06-22-2010, 06:39 AM
We took the Backstage Magic tour several years ago and loved it. In addition to what was already mentioned, we went through the carpentry, electrical, and paint shops (which are the size of warehouses). I don't recall if the monorail is fixed there, but we did see various parts of attractions and parades being worked on. At the time we even saw them uncrating parts of the Electric Light Parade to get it ready for its latest engagement at the time.

We went through the costume area where they create every costume on set and saw them sewing new Christmas Princess gowns.

We also visited the 3pm parade start in MK (behind the scenes) and saw them getting ready. We spoke with float operators and saw how they controlled things. Then we sat in the control room during the parade and watched as they worked their magic.

One other thing - I remember that an entertainer got on our bus between parks and stayed in character the whole way. Once we got to lunch, she joined us and we could ask her all about being an entertainer at Disney.

I'm sure what is included changes over time, and I thought it was well worth every dollar spent. I highly recommend it for any Disney fan.

Tick-Tock
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I am a train fan and would like to see the monorail shop, does the tour go through there or does any tour?

Dont' know about the monorails, but there's a steam-train-focused tour. From Intercot Info Central:

Disney's "The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains":
Learn about Walt's passion for steam trains, and join the opening crew as they prepare for another day at the Magic Kingdom! This tour also offers the rare opportunity to visit our backstage "roundhouse".
Held Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturdays at the Magic Kingdom.
Meet at the park turnstiles at 7:30 a.m.
$40.00
(2 hours, must be 10+, park admission required)