PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay with a lake to swim?

sherriepaul
06-20-2010, 10:53 AM
We are planning a trip to WDW for September 2011. We were planning on staying at CBR, but I just found out there are alligators in the lake there. Is this a stupid question........Are there any resorts by lakes that you can go swimming in the lake?
20 years ago when my parents took us for the last time, we stayed at GF and remember that we went swimming in the lake there. Is that the only lake you can go swimming in?:confused:

Thanks in advance!

SBETigg
06-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Over 20 years ago, swimming in the lakes and lagoons was allowed. But FL law and Disney rules have changed for the safety of patrons. There's a risk of a deadly infection from a warm-water dwelling amoeba from swimming in the lagoon water, and so it has been banned at all resorts. The water sports are allowed to continue because they limit the risk of exposure, but no swimming or playing in lake or lagoon water. Only pools.

crazypoohbear
06-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I remember hearing years ago that all lakes, lagoons etc in all of florida was home to alligators and that it was best to avoid swimming with the enemy.

sherriepaul
06-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the information! I thought what's the point of the lakes and such if you can't play in them. And having 6 year old twins thought that would be perfect, they wouldn't go in far, but with alligator.....ahhhh forget about it!:cool:

DizneyRox
06-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Florida has alligators

Alligators like large bodies of water

Lakes are large bodies of water

There a reason that most houses in Florida have pools. With pools, you can see straight through to the bottom and see if there are alligators in there!

MuchLovedMama
06-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah, you couldn't pay me to swim in anything but a pool in Florida. They're always finding gators all over the place down there. Gators move from one body of water to another sometimes so I would never trust murky water down there. I don't think I would even want to do the watersports myself personally. I'm a chicken though. :secret:

HackLaSalle
06-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah... I get the good ole natured fun of swimming in a lake but every resort has a pool and there are water parks. Florida has snakes, alligators and the aforementioned amobeas... and to think people were worried about germs.

Melanie
06-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Of course, signs/warnings/etc. don't deter some. We saw a boy swimming in one of the lakes at CBR last month, while mom was lounging nearby in a chair. :shake:

BrerGnat
06-20-2010, 09:29 PM
It's not just alligators, either. There be snakes in those lakes...water moccasins and such. NO THANK YOU!!!

Plus, the deadly brain eating amoeba is quite a turn off as well...