PDA

View Full Version : Disney Gift Card Question

forever a child
06-19-2010, 09:09 AM
I would like to purchase a Gift card and add to the balance every month. Is this possible?
I was thinking of ordering a GC from the Disney store and then either going back to the DS periodically to add to my balance, or if I can to walgreens or walmart since both of our local stores also sell Disney gift cards. Is this possible? Can I keep adding to one card over a period of time? Has anyone ever done this and if so, can I do it at other stores that sell disney gift cards other than just going to the disney store? Just curious as it would be a great way for me to save for our vacation! Any suggestions?

SallyP
06-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Good question, never thought about it before. I did find this on the Disney Gift Card (http://www.disneygiftcard.com/faq/#q3) site under FAQ

Where can I reload my Disney Gift Card? Disney Gift Cards can be reloaded at locations that sell Disney Gift Cards. Online reloads are not available at this time.

disneymom15
06-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I would like to purchase a Gift card and add to the balance every month. Is this possible?
I was thinking of ordering a GC from the Disney store and then either going back to the DS periodically to add to my balance, or if I can to walgreens or walmart since both of our local stores also sell Disney gift cards. Is this possible? Can I keep adding to one card over a period of time? Has anyone ever done this and if so, can I do it at other stores that sell disney gift cards other than just going to the disney store? Just curious as it would be a great way for me to save for our vacation! Any suggestions?

Exactly what I was hoping to do. I'll have to check my local walmart, hope they have them.

Fangorn
06-20-2010, 11:46 AM
It is relatively new that the gift cards are now sold at Walgreens, etc. The blurb on the website about adding to your gift card has been there from the beginning when the cards were only sold at Disney owned stores. I know you can add funds at the Disney Stores.

I wouldn't count on being able to add funds to the cards at Walgreens though. It's possible they have a system in place to do that, but I kinda doubt it. To do so would require that Walgreens stores have access to Disney's computer systems, and I just don't see Disney allowing thousands of non-Disney controlled locations across the country to have that access.

If you try it, please report back, as I'd like to be surprised on this one.

Steve

forever a child
06-20-2010, 01:03 PM
It is relatively new that the gift cards are now sold at Walgreens, etc. The blurb on the website about adding to your gift card has been there from the beginning when the cards were only sold at Disney owned stores. I know you can add funds at the Disney Stores.

I wouldn't count on being able to add funds to the cards at Walgreens though. It's possible they have a system in place to do that, but I kinda doubt it. To do so would require that Walgreens stores have access to Disney's computer systems, and I just don't see Disney allowing thousands of non-Disney controlled locations across the country to have that access.

If you try it, please report back, as I'd like to be surprised on this one.

Steve

That is what I was thinking too. Thought I would see if anyone has had any different experience. I think I will either buy smaller amounts at other stores or buy from wdw site and add amounts from disney store...but I might ask when I am at walgreens next time too!:tink:

allirae
06-22-2010, 02:23 PM
This doesn't help for reloading gift cards, but I thought I would also mention another place to purchase Disney gift cards. Check with your church or other organizations that do fundraising. If they participate in the SCRIP program you can buy Disney gift cards from them and they get a percentage back. We purchased enough Disney gift cards from our church to cover our upcoming vacation (we get the entire value of the gift card) and the church got 3% back. Not too shabby. We didn't spend any extra money, but the church made money. Good for us and good for them!

forever a child
06-22-2010, 02:47 PM
This doesn't help for reloading gift cards, but I thought I would also mention another place to purchase Disney gift cards. Check with your church or other organizations that do fundraising. If they participate in the SCRIP program you can buy Disney gift cards from them and they get a percentage back. We purchased enough Disney gift cards from our church to cover our upcoming vacation (we get the entire value of the gift card) and the church got 3% back. Not too shabby. We didn't spend any extra money, but the church made money. Good for us and good for them!

Thank you for sharing this! I am helping out doing some fund raising for our school and church and this will help out a lot! I have never heard of it before. Glad to hear it worked for you! Thank you again for sharing!!!:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-24-2010, 08:24 PM
It can definitely be done at the Disney store. My sis has been doing this for our upcoming trip. Not sure about the other stores though.

EvilQueensRock
07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Re: SCRIP

Thanks for posting this! My DD attends parochial school and we use Scrip for everything, but for some reason the Disney gift card offered says Disney STORE on the order form. I did contact the Scrip rep for the school to make sure I can use it for the vacation pmts and it's not Disney Store specific. I also chatted online with a CM on Disney.com who told me I could not use a Disney Store gift card to pay for a vacation pkg but could go to the store and purchase regular Disney gift cards and use those (too much work, not enough time for that! LOL)

forever a child
07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Re: SCRIP

Thanks for posting this! My DD attends parochial school and we use Scrip for everything, but for some reason the Disney gift card offered says Disney STORE on the order form. I did contact the Scrip rep for the school to make sure I can use it for the vacation pmts and it's not Disney Store specific. I also chatted online with a CM on Disney.com who told me I could not use a Disney Store gift card to pay for a vacation pkg but could go to the store and purchase regular Disney gift cards and use those (too much work, not enough time for that! LOL)

Thanks for the follow up that these cards can NOT be used at WDW parks or for package payments. :thanks:

EvilQueensRock
07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I was told you can't use Disney STORE cards, but regular disney gift cards are ok. (Not sure what the difference is, but...) I'm going to get th amount for th downpayment from Scrip and see if it works. If not, I have some xmas shopping money.

EvilQueensRock
07-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I went to the Disney Store today at our local mall and asked the sales clerk about the gift cards. She showed me the back of one where it says you can use it for resort payment. Bottom line: read the fine print. Of course, since I tend to over-analyze EveryThing! I am sticking with plan A which is purchasing $200 Disney Gift Card from Scrip and making sure it really truly does work for buying a vacation package. I just have to wait until the 2011 rates are released...;)