PDA

View Full Version : Hotel options for a family of 5?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
My DW and I have been fortunate enough to stay on property several times, usually at moderates.

We just added 3 DD to our family and are now talking (long range) about our first trip to WDW, hopefully next year.

Just wondering what are the options, and what are the prefered ones for a family of five? Girls ages would be 8-6-4 at the time we'd probably go.

Our preference (and financial necessity) is to only have one room.

Hoping that all the discounts and pin codes that I've been receiving this year, when I can't use them, will still be there next year!

SBETigg
06-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Deluxe rooms would fit you and most do accommodate five very comfortably. Another option, renting DVC space from a member. You could check out Fort Wilderness Cabins.

Your best bet for a moderate might be to check out Port Orleans Riverside-- the bayou rooms have a trundle bed and can sleep five. Or there are family suites at one of the value resorts. Also, if your trip is much later, WDW has announced that they're building a new all-suite resort with a Disney animation theme near the Pop Century resort area. Art of Animation resort discussion. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=170597)

crltkcagle
06-18-2010, 06:51 PM
As a family of five your options are very limited. I know because we are a family of five. We usually stay at POR and we enjoy it. You can try a suite at the All Star resorts also. I know a few of the deluxe hotels offer space for 5 but I never looked into that option. Have a wonderful "first trip" with you girls!

Mary Poppins fan
06-19-2010, 12:04 PM
We too are a family of 5. We usually stay at the Poly, but on occasion go to POR. With the ages of your girls, POR should be alright, but a little tight. If you can afford it, I'd opt for the Poly. The rooms are bigger and the transportation options can't be beat. Good luck and happy planning! :D

HackLaSalle
06-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I'd reiterate the Fort Wilderness Cabins. There's lots of stuff to do there for the kids. We've slept five grown males in there pretty comfortably. You get the awesome boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. I love it there personally.

skisurf2
06-19-2010, 06:35 PM
As your kids get older having space is nice. my family stayed at West gate Villias and probably will not stay at disney again for awhile. It is close, we payed half the price of disney and get kitchen and washer and dryer. You get you own rooms and nice screened patio. Hard to beat. I do miss emh but it is nice.

TammiMcMan
06-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Just wondering what are the options, and what are the prefered ones for a family of five? Girls ages would be 8-6-4 at the time we'd probably go.

Our preference (and financial necessity) is to only have one room.Below, I've shown some of the most least expensive on-site options. IMO, a trundle bed room at POR is a great value. Probably a better value, if you can get it, is a garden wing room at the Contemporary. Not only do you get the amenities of a deluxe resort, steps from the MK, but it's at a great price. These rooms tend to fill up quickly though.

2 value rooms ~ $238 ($119/each)
Family suite ~ $275
POR trundle room ~ $210
Cabins ~ $270
Contemporary Garden Wing ~ $285

(prices shown are value season)

Tigerinvestigator
06-21-2010, 06:34 PM
We have the same trouble with a family of 5 but it has never slowed us down. Far and away the best option for us is the WDW Dolphin. Usually get a room for 5 for between $129-149 per night which is a much better deal for us than two rooms or even POR during most of the year. We've stayed at almost every resort and the Dolphin ranks right up there with all of them. They also give a great nurse/teacher/gov't employee discount! We can't beat that.:thumbsup:

ShanPooh
06-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Congrats on your new addition!
When DS-to-be comes home, we will also be a family of 5. Both DSs will be 10 and DD will be 7 when we are hoping to go.
We are thinking about a room in the Alligator Bayou at Port Orleans Riverside or two rooms at a value - depending on any discounts we can get and how well everyone is getting along. ;)
Value suites don't seem to be discounted (because they are so popular, I guess). Otherwise, we would look at those, too.
Have fun planning!

Kaps
06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Port Orleans riverside not the biggest rooms but you are in the parks more than the rooms:number1:

finaldynasty
06-27-2010, 10:27 PM
My vote is for POR. Just got back this evening from a week at this resort with DW and DKs (8, 6, 3) and we loved it. If you stay there I would recommend building 14 or 25. They are close to the bus stops and the pools. There are other buildings that are close. The room was large enough to us and my DW liked the two sinks. We had not had that since we stayed at the WL.

Congrats and good luck! :mickey:

wickedgin
06-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I would (and did!) pick POR for our family of five. My children were 9, 7, and 5, and I think POR was just about perfect for us. In coming years, we'll want to upgrade to larger accomodations, but while they're little, the trundle bed is just fine. My children really liked the pools and Ol' Man Island.

However, if a 40% off is available, the Grand Floridian or the Poly would be ideal for little princesses. :cloud9:

magicalmom
06-27-2010, 11:50 PM
POR Alligator Bayou - the trundle bed lets the room accommodate 5, and the resort is marvelous for kids. Great pools, fishin' hole, boat to DDT, food court and TS. If I remember correctly, also two sinks.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks everyone. Our last trip - no kids - we stayed in POR - Alligator Bayou and my wife and I loved it. I knew about the trundle bed option but was curious what other had done.

If I could make a Disney wish come true right now, we'd be staying at the Polynesian, a dream that both my wife and I have. Unless the wide range of discounts continue deep into next year, we'll probably look at POR for our first option, which would be more than great, but I'm going to remain optomistic that somehow we can pull off the Polynesian.

Mary Poppins fan
07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
You can always do the split-stay route with a few nights at POR and then the Poly. That way you get double the magic! :cloud9:

casey@bat
07-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Buy a small camper & stay at Fort Wilderness. My dad was going to rent a cabin there. When he saw the price, he bought a camper. What he would have paid for a week in the cabin went towards more than a year of camper payments.

Now we bought a camper and it is great for our family of five, not only at Disney, but at the beach, mountains, etc.

You can save money by eating in the camper instead of eating out all the time. And we take our bikes and love riding them around the campground.

Fort Wilderness is the best!

wdwfansince75
08-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I noticed on another of your threads that your brother will be returning from deployment....He can reserve up to 3 rooms at Shades of Green....The rooms at SoG have two queens, and a very comfortable day bed...and a great rate! Check out the SoG website....

CU Tiger
08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Six of us (my family of 4 & 2 parents) have stayed in the FW cabins each of the last five years. We love it there. :cloud9: There are so many advantages to having the full kitchen, a deck, great location, etc.. Fully recommend it!:thumbsup::mickey:

TikiLounger
08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I'd reiterate the Fort Wilderness Cabins. There's lots of stuff to do there for the kids. We've slept five grown males in there pretty comfortably. You get the awesome boat ride to the Magic Kingdom. I love it there personally.

I agree...we had the best time there. So fun and rent a golf cart!