PDA

View Full Version : Bad Room Locations at Poly?

KAT1811
06-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I always hear everyone talking about the best room locations at Poly and various other resorts. I'm not one to give requests (mainly because I never get them ;)) but I was wondering if there were any areas I should try to avoid when checking in. We will be a party of 6 my parents, DD6, DD4, DS1 1/2, and myself (DH and our oldest DD will join up with us later).

Pirate Granny
06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Many years ago we stayed at the Poly...and we were in RaRotonga, third floor and we faced the monorail...we were excited to stay on site, but it wasn't the greatest view...no balcony either.
:pirate:

#1disneyfan
06-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Rapa Nui! It was so far away from the main house and the monorail. It was probably closer to walk to Ticket and Transportation Center than take the Monorail. It was a very quiet area, but not really convenient, which sadly was why we booked at a monorail resort. We had stayed here in the past, in a different area, but this really changed our view of this resort.

SBETigg
06-18-2010, 08:31 AM
We were in Rarotonga with a view of the quiet pool and loved it. It's right next to the GCH. We could see some of the fireworks from our third floor balcony (a strip of lagoon visible, plus the top of Space Mountain). So I wouldn't rule it out as a bad location. I have heard people say that the luau cove area can be noisy, but just went the show is going on. So I would prefer to be near and to the TTC side of the GCH. But then Fuji runs along the marina and is said to be quite nice, so who knows. I don't think I would rule anything out.

like2workout
06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
the main thing i learned about the poly on my stay there is that not all rooms have a balcony. i love sitting out on the balcony in the early morning and again after a long day at the parks, but my room didn't have one. so next time i'll know to be sure to request a room with a balcony.

KAT1811
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know how many rooms do not have a balcony? I really need a balcony. Traveling with 3 young children that go to bed early I really, really need somewhere to relax with a book and a glass of wine after a crazy day in the parks. I am just wondering what the chances are that I will not have a balcony?

Pocahontas
06-18-2010, 12:35 PM
A good room location can be different for everyone. In earlier posts some said they wanted to be close to the monorail or to the main building, but I find those places can be noisier. I prefer quiet (especially if you have young children who need their sleep) and don't mind a little further walk to the main building. I also liked being close to the beach. Face it, at Disney you're going to end up doing a lot of walking no mater what!;) One plus, if you're in a building closer to the TTC you can just take one mooarail ride to Epcot instead of changing trains.

What ever building you end up staying in, I'm sure you'll have a great time. It's a great resort!:thumbsup:

Stickey
06-18-2010, 12:40 PM
We stayed in Rapa Nui, with no complaints. The rooms facing the courtyard and Tokelau are nice and it is a quick walk to the TTC monorail. The walk to the GCH was no problem.

The original buildings of the Poly have the potential balcony issue. I believe that 1st floor rooms have a patio, no balconies on the 2nd floor, and balconies on only the top floor.

diz_girl
06-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Many years ago we stayed at the Poly...and we were in RaRotonga, third floor and we faced the monorail...we were excited to stay on site, but it wasn't the greatest view...no balcony either.
:pirate:

When I stayed at the Poly for the first time (it was 1980 and I was ten), we had a monorail view and I loved it. I think that kids love watching the monorail go by.

southerngirl
06-21-2010, 10:56 AM
If you want a balcony, you need to request it in your reservation. I think that the first floor rooms have little patios, and the third floors have balconies. At least, that's the way the rooms work in the Hawaii building, which is where we stay.

We love the Hawaii bldg, but it's club level only, so that might not be in the budget for everyone. However, I do know that there are a couple of other longhouses that are in that same area, near the quite pool and the marina. It's very convenient to the boat launch and both pools, and it's not a far walk at all to the GCH. In fact, one thing I love about the Poly is that none of the buildings seem to be really far away from each other. We stayed in a garden wing room at the Contemporary a couple of years ago, and THAT room was quite a hike to the tower. I think it took us 10 minutes, walking briskly, to get there. I can't think of any buildings at the Poly that are that far away from the GCH.

Enjoy!!

pixiesmimi
06-21-2010, 04:21 PM
We stayed at Tokelau last year and all rooms have balconies and it is close to the GCH. But it didn't help me any because the sun came up right in our eyes in the mornings (very uncomfortable trying to sit out there with our coffee ) and the misquitos were bad at night and you couldn't sit out there long, plus it would be hard to read out there at night because it is so dark unless you leave your room light on and curtains open. Will your children sleep with the lights on? Only plus we had to having it was that we got to watch the space shuttle launch from it one night. Other than that, it pretty much went unused.

KAT1811
06-23-2010, 11:34 AM
:thanks:

Thank you so much for all the fabulous input. I will certainly make sure that I include a balcony request in my reservation. I have no desire to stay club level while in Disney. We spend very little time in the room and at the resort. Just doens't make sense for us. I'll have to remember to pack a small citronella candle just in case their are mosquitos. I am their favorite snack! DH bought me the Amazon Kindle so I'll have to get the light attachment so I can read outside without attracting the bugs or disturbing the children. They would not sleep with the lights on. Lol. Thank you again for the input. I'm not really looking to be close to any one part of the resort. I'm not adverse to walking anywhere in Disney , it seems like part of the package. ;) It sounds like every part of the resort is loved by someone. We are typically very easy to please. The only thing I really would be upset about not having is the balcony.

SBETigg
06-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I love my Kindle! I got the Kindle Kandle, which I really like, but if you have a cover for your Kindle, there's a different light that seems to fit inside the covers better. But I like the light distribution on the Kandle, and it comes with three batteries (I'm still on the first battery), and just clips on the top.

I also love having a balcony. Third floor rooms all have them, so that's maybe what you want. And I never had problems with mosquitos there, oddly enough, and I am also on their favorite snack menu. :)

pixiesmimi
06-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention a Kindle or other ebook reader. I have a Kindle too. I have a light for mine but don't know if it is the Kandle or not. Can't remember. It clips on. I will be trying mine out down there also. I hope the WIFI works down there. I tried it on the beach and couldn't get a signal. I'll just remember to download before going down. They say they use natural insect repellants down there to fight mosquitos and things but I still felt them at night on the balcony. But there was a lot of vegetation around our balcony and it is FL. LOL Good luck! Hope you get a balcony but I imagine you will. Just ask. We have 34 days until we will be there and I can't wait!

KAT1811
06-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I love my Kindle! I got the Kindle Kandle, which I really like, but if you have a cover for your Kindle, there's a different light that seems to fit inside the covers better. But I like the light distribution on the Kandle, and it comes with three batteries (I'm still on the first battery), and just clips on the top.

I have a cover for mine but am not adverse to taking it off while I read if the light fits better that way. I use it more for transportation than function. Glad to hear that you like the light. I was wondering if it was a good accessory or not.

Thank you for the tips! I too hope that I get a balcony. Hopefully the CM at check in will take pity on me and move me if they do not have me booked in a balcony room. :mickey: