PDA

View Full Version : Driving from SE PA

Goofy Pluto
06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey all.

So I've been reading some posts about taking an alternate route from SE PA to Disney instead of I-95. It involves taking I-81 South to, I think I-77 and then a Route 26 somewhere.... anyway...

I'm just wondering from anyone who has taken both (or either) routes what the non-95 route is like. Checking out Mapquest it looks like the 81 route would be about an hour longer for us. Now when we are going down we're leaving at like 3 in the morning but coming back traffic in Va/DC could be an issue. Just wondering if it might be worth going out of the way to take the other route, if there are places to stop, is it worth taking, etc.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

gerald72
06-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I live in central PA and have driven both routes many times. For me it is about the same distance both ways.
I prefer the 81 route. Take 81 to exit 81 in southern Virginia. Then take 77 to columbia sc. Then take 26 to 95 into Florida.
It seems like less turns and traffic is managable. I just drove that direction 2 weeks ago to Atlanta , and had hardly any traffic. It seems endless through Virginia though, and no south of the border signs.
As for stopping, I usually drive straight through, or nap at rest stops.

Scar
06-17-2010, 01:10 PM
81/77 is a much more scenic ride. There is a section of 77 (NC I think) that provides a stunning view.

definately go 81/77 if you will be in DC anytime around rush hour(s).

Brian
06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
I live in Central PA as well, and recommend the 81/77/26 route over 95. As others have said, it is very scenic, especially through Virginia. There's not too much along the way, though. Sure, there are places to stop, but nowhere near the amount of stuff you'll find along 95.

For us, the 81/77/26 route adds about 30 miles to our trip. However, I think it clocks in at less time due to less traffic. The only traffic we've ever hit taking that route is around the Charlotte area, and that doesn't even come close to the mess you'll run into around DC and Richmond on 95.

On the other hand, I have a sister that claims the 81/77/26 route is too boring. She prefers taking 95. To each their own. I'd rather be bored than angry. :mickey: