PDA

View Full Version : PIN Code Poll!!! Please vote

forever a child
06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
All this talk of PIN codes has gotten me curious and how many receive pin codes and what you attribute to qualifying to receive them. Please share your stories if you like so that others may learn of possible tips!:mickey:

Donald's Girl
06-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Amazingly my husband got a pin code in the mail and I got one emailed in the past year! This was after years of my complaining that we never got one!
We were able to add my to our October vacation that was already booked. His allowed us to take a 4 night trip in May that we never would have done without it!

DizneyRox
06-16-2010, 09:26 AM
The Disney marketing machine is in full swing. PINs are able to be tailored to individuals, be it your vacationing time, level of resort, last visit, etc. They are definitely targeted as they are "one time use" and tagged to particular people. If this wasn't the case, I could use my parents and they wouldn't care. By enforcing them to the recipient, (in the above case) it stands to reason they don't feel that I need incentive to visit and my parents do.

There has been a big push to integrate systems lately. The data gathered is being used for something, and that's to get people to visit more often and spend more.

BugeyedMuggy
06-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Within a month of adding all our email addresses (not just our personal one) we recieved a pin code for the first time and was able to apply it to our Dec trip. Maybe the more you give them the better your chances.

mickeefan
06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Since the first of the year we have received three pin codes.These are the first and we have been going at least annually since 1990.

KylesMom
06-16-2010, 09:57 AM
I've been a registered Disney site user forever. We get the Vacation Planning DVD every year, I'm registered on the Mom's site & have been sent the "big red box" before, belong to the Movie Club, am a faithful Disney Visa Cardholder, etcetera. Nary a special pin code. Yes, I've gotten a few mailers through the Rewards Card, but they are basically the same offers that are out there for the general public.

My mom, however, has received two separate PIN codes from Disney this year which come close to some of the A/P offers we've received in recent years. I've never been able to figure it out! :mickey:

PopPhan
06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
I get PIN codes from Disney Visa. One of the benefits of carrying the card.

I have received ONE PIN code from Disney Destinations in the past year (but couldn't use it.)

Kenny1113
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I am registered on all the Disney sites as well, have ordered the DVD in the past and have not recieved a pin either. Maybe I will now that I am not going several times a year. Do fl residents get pin codes???

Dragongirlx
06-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Never had a code and I am registered on all sites and always get the vacation planning DVD but as a UK customer I might be excluded

KAT1811
06-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Never received a pin code, never gotten an upgrade, just plain unlucky when it comes to that stuff I guess!!! Lol!

renecat
06-16-2010, 12:19 PM
My sister and I are both on the disney website. In March my sister and I started
planning a trip for Oct. About a month or so later I got a pin code in the mail for 40% off our deluxe resort so we had Wendy at MJ apply it. A month or so later my sister got the exact same pin code by e-mail. Yesterday a pin code came in the mail for my husband for 40% off any resort. We went on a disney cruise in Feb. and before now we had never recieved a pin code. We have been to disney many times so I can't tell you why all of a sudden we start getting these pin codes. Not complaining and am hoping they keep coming.

CU Tiger
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
We have the Disney Visa, signed up on all web-sites, annual pass, etc.. and no pin codes.

BigThunderFan
06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
We are all registered on the Disney site, plan lots of trips, Disney Visa (Charter) cardholders and never a PIN. :confused:

eeyorepoohfan
06-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Both my DH and I are registered on Disney's site, and log in periodically too. I also order the vacation planning DVD every year. Took our first trip last December. Still no PIN codes for us. :( Though I would love to receive one Disney!!!!! :blush:

Mousehead35
06-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Same story here.. I sign up and enter my e-mail anywhere I can, but still no pin codes :(

Plex
06-16-2010, 08:34 PM
I have actually gotten 2 or 3 sent to our address. One was mine, one was for a friend that was going to be traveling with us, and I believe my fiancee got one as well!

Maybe I should start buying lotto tickets? :mickey::mickey:

4disneynuts
06-16-2010, 08:47 PM
My DH got a PIN Code in the mail about two weeks ago. We were planning to go to Disney in December for our DD Birthday. We were going to stay at the CBR but with the 40% offer we were able to upgrade and stay at the POLY for our first time. We have received one of these PIN Codes in the past about a year ago but this is the only one since. Not sure why all of a sudden we get them as we have gone to disney that last 5 years. Hope they keep sending them though!!:party:

Mary Poppins fan
06-17-2010, 03:09 PM
We've never received a pin code despite the fact we've been registered on the Disney site forever, been to WDW numerous times, have the Disney Card, etc. However I did get one sent to my house a couple of weeks ago addressed to a family we traveled with two years ago. The odd thing was, we never linked our ressies! :confused:

limegreenmonorail
06-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I've been registered on all the Disney sites forever, and I'm always planning trips, and I've never gotten a pin code. Until a few weeks ago...I couldn't remember which email I had registered on disneyworld.com, and so I opened a new account with my current email, and ordered the WDW planning DVD. A day later, I had a pin code in my email. Maybe you have to open a new account to get one? I'm happy to have it, and I hope they keep on coming!

apequet
06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
I've been logged on all the disney web sites for years, but recently got the disney visa and ordered personalized maps from the disney web site -all with in a few weeks of eachother...then I received my first a pin code thru email! Wendy @ MJ was able to apply it to our current reservation in dec and it saved us so much $ that we upgraded from Pop to POR! I am so excited! After a week of recieving my first pin code...I got another one thru email again, but couldn't use it. Have u ordered the maps lately? Maybe the maps might get you something. Good luck!

steamboat52
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I've been a registered Disney site user forever. We get the Vacation Planning DVD every year, I'm registered on the Mom's site & have been sent the "big red box" before... :mickey:

What is the "big red box"?

Tigerinvestigator
06-17-2010, 06:41 PM
We get them once or twice a year but rarely use them. Seems like we get better deals online or at the Swan/Dolphin.

mouseketeer mom
06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
I have pin codes coming out of my ears. I have 4 different pin codes for various dates and offers right now. Just got another one this week. I have no idea why I keep getting them.

Disney4us2
06-17-2010, 08:03 PM
No pin codes for me. Hopefully one day I will get one though.

Jeri Lynn
06-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I got my pin code after I registered at the Disney website under a different email address than I typically used. I made up a couple itinerary's and when they asked if I needed accomodations I chose that I was staying off site. I did this a couple times and received a pin code for 40% off the deluxe category. We saved about $700 which is more than what a free dining discount would be, if it comes out.

Fastpasssteve
06-18-2010, 01:12 AM
I've been to Disney many times, but never received a pin code. This is one area of Disney that is truly a mystery! Fate is fickle.

forever a child
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
It looks as though 36% have not ever received pin codes or at least received one in the last year. :cry:

Thanks to all who have responded and shared tips. Not that it helps solve the mystery of receiving Pin code discounts...but it can't hurt!:thumbsup:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm about ready to complain to Disney. Seems like once a week I get some form of Pin Code, either a mailing (like the Toy Story Pin code offer I got last week) or the same offer via email or thru Disney Destinations or thru the Disney Visa.

I may not be getting them exactly once a week, but I bet I get at least 3 or 4 a month between email and snail mail.

I'm sure this is simply a sign of the economic times. There are so many offers out there right now you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out which is best.

DVC2004
06-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I've been a registered Disney site user forever. We get the Vacation Planning DVD every year, I'm registered on the Mom's site & have been sent the "big red box" before, belong to the Movie Club, am a faithful Disney Visa Cardholder, etcetera. Nary a special pin code. Yes, I've gotten a few mailers through the Rewards Card, but they are basically the same offers that are out there for the general public.

My mom, however, has received two separate PIN codes from Disney this year which come close to some of the A/P offers we've received in recent years. I've never been able to figure it out! :mickey:

Same here! I think maybe since we aren't booking packages (we are DVC) but we got one code- strangely enough it was sent to my neice (who is a child) but addressed to our home (where she does not live). It's been very elusive. We occassionally do book packages, but we visit 2 times per year on our points- so I guess we aren't thier target market.

kakn7294
06-18-2010, 04:32 PM
A few months ago, DH and I both got e-mail PIN codes that were actually the same code sent to different names on different e-mail accounts on the same day. I also got one not long ago in the snail mail. It was in my name.

akaDisneyDreamer
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Several months ago I went to the website and planned out a trip, but didn't book it. I decided to go with Magical Journey's and let them book it for me. A few months later I got a pin code. I think maybe I got one because they didn't see that I actually booked a trip (since I didn't book it myself through the website) and they were trying to encourage me to book it! Anyway, my agent was able to apply my pin code and saved me 40% off my trip! Then I got another pin code a month later! These are the first pin codes I've ever received and I hope I keep getting them. Wish I could pass that extra one on to someone else who could use it! :mickey:

Harriet
06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
This is the first year I have gotten PIN CODES. I have gone to SWS and DL lots and I was overjoyed when I got the Monster code in the mail. I had gotten a code by e-mail but I code not use that one as I had already gotten my park tickets and besides that The free dinning would not be a benifit for me since I travel solo. The cost of rack rate verse the cost of the meals did not work out to my benifit. I did much better with the 40% off code. I have no idea how I rated a code except I do send e-mails to disney asking questions and giving ideas as well as checking prices for rooms. Since this is a very special trip for me I am trilled I got a pin code I can use. MJ made everything work to my advanage.:mickey::cloud9:

pixiesmimi
06-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Last year we received about 10 pin codes. One or two were addressed to my daughter at our address. This year, we have received none except for one addressed to our daughter at our address (different last name than the last one she received) after we had booked rooms for this year in her name and ours. We never used any of them though because none were during the time we were going or the deal we had was always better.

Darbylew
06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I am a Disney visa card holder and I go to WDW
at least twice a year. I have never gotten a pin
code. I don't understand why I have never had
one. I am on the Disney sites and get their
emails all the time but never a pin code. Where
is mine? :confused:

forever a child
06-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Just a reminder that the Poll closes on the 28th! Still looks like over 60% receive pin codes in last 12 months (not that they are always that helpful for your plans) but a decent number!:mickey:

PopPhan
06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Although technically not a PIN CODE, I received e-mail from Disney Destinations yesterday with two offers - Free Dining Plan for Mods & up (extended thru 10/2) and Values for $58/night Room Only (thru 9/30).

Dsnygirl
06-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I have given up any hope of ever getting a PIN code... I get all sorts of other e-mails from Disney Destinations, so I know they know about me and have my e-mail address... but never a PIN code.

What is so frustrating is that I get notifications from them w/ all the public discounts... which I am usually aware of before I get them, thanks to I'cot. :) But never, ever a PIN. :(

(and I've tried everything anyone has ever said works... starting a reservation online but choosing not to complete it... ordering planning DVD's and park maps... calling... changing my profile info on their website... you name it)

I guess some of us just don't have the magic touch of being one of the ones chosen when those e-mails go out -- it certainly seems to be VERY random!! :sob:

Polynesian Dweller
06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Pin codes are a marketing tool and no real magic way to get one. The business, Disney in this case, decides it want to increase revenue in an area. So, they instruct the marketing department to try to sell that product.

One way is to use their database of people that have registered on the Disney site or some other way and target people they think will want to buy that product (product can be rooms and dining plans). They will set some criteria and the pins will go out.

So no magic way to get one except to register with Disney and then hope you meet the marketing criteria. But, you'll never really know what the criteria are or all the reasons they are marketing that specific product.

fernsmommy
06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
I got my first pin code after we got back from our trip in May. I couldn't use it though because I can't afford to go more than once in a year. We try to go every 2-3 years.

Daisy'sMom
06-22-2010, 07:11 PM
We booked our trip and our parents last month for the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov. We received a pin code today! It's been applied. 40% off of room. Thanks be to Disney!:mickey:

Kathy Jetson
06-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Dh and I both recieved the 40% off pin code a couple weeks ago but not for my dates. Yesterday I get an email from Disney Destinations and got excited only to find out it was the same offer they already sent:(

ShanPooh
06-23-2010, 05:18 AM
We've gotten three different email pin offers this year, my parents have gotten an offer in the mail (with our last name), and we've gotten a snail mail offer (with my parents' names).
All these offers! Oh man! Go figure, other than the year DS was born, this will be the first time in 11 years that we aren't going down :(
We are saving up for next year. Hopefully we can either get free dining or some other just as wonderful offer.
I will have to play around with the WDW reservation site a few months before we plan on booking our trip and see if that will generate anything.

kemps@wdw
06-23-2010, 10:45 PM
I've always read over the years of people on here getting the pin codes, but never knew what they were or how to get them. Figured as many times as we've been, that SURELY, I should have gotten at least 1. Well..ask and ye shall receive! I've received 2 in the last 5 months. Of course, they were for dates we could not travel. But I appreciate the fact that we got them anyway. Maybe, I'll get lucky and get another one for our exact travel dates in Oct.

Mickey91
06-23-2010, 11:21 PM
We received a pin code by snail mail and email about 3 months ago. There were plenty of dates but a narrow time frame to book. The pin codes were the same deal and there was little difference in the pin code deal and the one being offered at the time to the general public. Their deals use to be a lot better! Maybe that's why I finally started getting them! LOL!:mickey:

BigThunderFan
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
So I have to change my response, after replying to this I have since gotten 2 pin code emails! Unfortunately they were only through 12/18, and we are going in January. Keep your fingers crossed we will see another or at least a good public discount for the later dates!

I wish I could give someone else this pin to book under... :(

forever a child
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
So I have to change my response, after replying to this I have since gotten 2 pin code emails! Unfortunately they were only through 12/18, and we are going in January. Keep your fingers crossed we will see another or at least a good public discount for the later dates!

I wish I could give someone else this pin to book under... :(

It's a good start at least! :mickey:

IloveDisney71
06-24-2010, 09:50 PM
I've been going to Disney regularly for years. They have my email at home and work as well as my snail mail address. I get pin codes but often don't get to use them because they are for times when I just can't go due to work or other issues. I am a member of the Disney Movie Club give my email out to all sorts of Disney sites. I don't know if that helps or not.

sndral
06-26-2010, 09:47 PM
The first one I got was back in 2002 or 3 and was a snail mail postcard for AKL, which I used.
In 2009, I got a snail mail in mom's name @ my address - 40% off deluxe, which we were able to use as mom was going.
This year I received several email codes for DL (probably because I live in Ca) which I didn't want and finally in April I received the 40% off deluxe @ WDW email pin, which I used. The email came 2 days after I'd updated my profile and saved the vacation package I was interested in on the WDW site.

DawsonAR
06-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I get pin codes all the time through both snail mail and email. I get at least 4 per year. I'm not sure why I get them but I do. I have only used them twice.

eeyorepoohfan
07-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I know the poll is now closed but I need to change my answer! I got my first ever pin code in my email TODAY! It is for 20% off Value, 30% off Moderate, 40% off Deluxe. It is actually valid for our dates in December, so now just crunching numbers to see where to stay! I had recently logged onto the Disney site and update my account. I went into "My Disney Vacation" and changed from wanting to stay on property, to staying off property. I did that about a week or so ago. I have also logged in and gotten quotes for the December dates, but didn't book. The email I received was from Disney Destinations and it basically said that since I'm still looking for accomodations, they want to give me something to consider staying on property. I was nearly jumping up and down when I saw the email!!!! I have been registered on Disney's site for at least 10 years now and often get quotes, but finally got my first PIN code!!!!! :cloud9:Happy Dance!!!

Lakin
07-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Where is the 'What's a pin code?' option?

countrycharmer
07-16-2010, 12:25 PM
never ever and it is wicked disappointing.

lala71474
07-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Second year in a row with the pin code! Staying half at Boardwalk this year and half at Poly! Super Excited! Thanks Mickey! :mickey:

Tinksmom
07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
I think the PIN code system may also have something to do with Disney Photopass. I logged in to see my sister's pictures several years ago. And since then I get PIN codes with her family's name on them. Since I already had my primary email address assigned to her because of that first transaction, I had to use my junk email address for my photopass account. Well, anytime I get a PIN for her in my regular email, I know to check my junk email for one for my family. It's there everytime.