PDA

View Full Version : What are your tips on tips?

CosmicRay
06-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I have several families ask me for tips and advice on WDW. I feel like that is such a broad range.
I don't even know where to begin, but I just jump in and give them tips I know. What tips do you give? I also get the question of "do you know of any place to get discounts on park tickets?" We've usually stayed on prop. so I've never really checked for discounts. Is there a place that I can refer them to? I look forward to your tips!
:minnie: :mickey3:

Itchy
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
As I recommend to all my friends I tell them to check out INTERCOT.

The all knowing, All seeing bunch of folks you will ever find.

As far as discount tickets, I personally have not found any. I get all of mine with the package when I make my reservations.

Bottom line tips can be a broad question and should be more specific, such as resort, food, and attactions.

If they need help with packages I would have them contact Magical Journeys, they are the only ones I will work with now. Denise is just great and bends over backwards to get me the best deal.

Hope this helps. :mickey:

TheVBs
06-15-2010, 05:36 PM
I know what you mean - it's a broad question! I usually suggest looking at a guidebook to read about all there is to do there, and figuring out what their must-do things are. Nothing's worse than missing out on something you would have loved only because you didn't even know was there. Then I try to give more detailed tips from there, based upon what they want to do.

I've never known of any way to get discounted tickets either, other than buying them ahead of time from WDW with a package.

retiredfigment
06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Which tips are you referring to? Food? Room? We were on the DDP in October and all the TS restuarants listed 15%, 18% and 20% on each bill. Lazily, I used their guide and based it on the service. For the room, $2 per night, given each day. Bags, $1 per bag, but usually carried mine. Magical Express I believe had a tip jar out.

CosmicRay
06-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I am not asking for tips for myself. Just I have random friends that will come to me over the years and say "we're thinking of going to WDW next year, any tips?" And just as another person posted above (and I said too) is that is a BROAD question. I always have to ask what they are looking for tips on resorts, food, dates... etc. Just didn't know if you had really great tips that I haven't thought of.

faline
06-15-2010, 06:47 PM
For discounted tickets, I'd refer them to the Official Ticket Center (http://www.officialticketcenter.com/default.aspx?affid=TC21LBC).

Their are two othr tips you could give them beyond that. Use Magical Journeys (http://yourmagicaljourneys.com/) to book their trip and join Intercot for lots of great information on making their trip better.

Going2HeavenRU
06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I just recently had 2 of my coworkers ask me for tips for their trips to Disney. I also sent them here to Intercot especially for the menu's and for the height restrictions for the rides for their kids.

I also found that the free planning video from the Disney website is very helpful to give to people who are newbies. My mom had some park maps that I gave to one of the ladies so that she could get an idea of the layout of the parks.

My main advise to both of them was "walk into every building because you never know if it will be a ride, store or show and most importantly have fun and just enjoy yourself."

Simba 1
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
I get that question all the time too, since people know we travel to WDW quite a bit. I usually start with the basics - who us going, how long would you like to stay, do you have a season in mind, are you looking for an economical or luxury trip, staying on property or off? So based on those answers I try to give advise and tips. From there we end up talking about resorts, attractions, restaraunts, etc. I find if I just give a bunch of random tips, people get overwhelmed quickly.

Biggest tip - you won't see it all in one trip, so don't stress yourself (and your family) by trying to.

Goofy Texan
06-21-2010, 03:44 PM
I had a friend ask me that question last Spring - about a week before they left. I had a map that I received with the planning DVD. It had a small map of each park on it with a list of attractions. I didn't want to overwhelm them, so in addition to explaning fast pass and the advantages of rope drop, I customized the map. I used a red highlighter to mark the attractions they needed to see first or get a Fast Pass for, I used a green highlighter to mark attractions that were good options for later in the day, and left unmarked, attractions they could consider skipping. I then drew a stars on the map showing good places to watch a parade or fireworks. In the empty spaces around the map, I wrote in tips regarding ride seating, restaurant (CS) options, and other things I thought of.

The family said that map was their constant companion during the week. It seems it provided just enough info to make the trip fun without overloading them with a ton of details.

Belster
06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
I have not used it but have been told that they sell discounted tickets at undercovertourist.com .

MOJoe
06-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Last spring a friend of mine started asking for advice about an upcoming Disney trip. Eager to help, i began throwing out so much information that i could see his eyes start to glaze over. :dizzy:
So i began to ask what things he needed to know. Staying onsite, park hopping, EMH, touring plans, ect. were way down on the list. What he really wanted to know was "Is it really that expensive ?" It being everything - park tickets, meals, rooms, snacks, souveniers, you name it. Saving, or more to the point, not spending money is the Holy Grail of Disney World tips. I have yet to find that treasured tip, so i just told my friend to plan on spending a bundle.

Momto3littlemice
06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
My tips would include:
1. Get to the parks before opening to avoid the biggest crowds
2. Take a stroller for kids that may have outgrown one at home.
3. Use fastpass as much as possible
4. Don't expect to see it all -- rather, slow down and enjoy what you do see.
:mickey:

Seasonscraps
06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I'll usually explain fastpass, ADRs, the dining plan, park hopping, the transportaion. Recommend restaurants or activities I really enjoy. Things like that. If they ask for more specific information, I'll do what I can or refer them to intercot or something similar.

SBETigg
06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
When people ask me for tips, I try to get them to narrow it down. Usually people are more than willing to elaborate and tell you a) who is going to be with them b) what their personalities are, briefly - picky eaters, adventurous, active or slow-paced, etc. And this helps you to better come back with appropriate suggestions that aren't too across the board.

But you're right, there is so much to tell. I think the main thing is to tell people to try not to feel like they have to fit it all in, to study some park maps/attractions lists and prioritize, to make ADRs early, and finally, how to use the Fastpass and Transportation systems.

kemps@wdw
06-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Direct them to Intercot. They'll be able to link to all things WDW related from there. We have people ask us for advice also. Especially my DH...aka "Tour Guide Mikey". It never fails that we hear from some rookies returning from the World, that they didn't have a very good time for having to wait for everything, didn't get to ride what they wanted, or couldn't get in where they wanted to eat. And our response is always the same. A bit of planning is a MUST. WDW is simply not a "wing it" kind of place. And take advantage of the Fast Pass system. And remember, if this is your 1st visit, you cannot do it all. So, decide what are must-dos and what are can-waits, and save the latter for your next magical journey!