PDA

View Full Version : Pop Warner...Should I change my dates?

familyof5
06-15-2010, 11:32 AM
I have our first ever trip to DW booked for December 5-12th at POR...but recently found out that POR resort often has Pop Warner familes. I'm really concerned about not having a good experience and high shool kids "taking over"!

Does anyone have any input?

Should I change my dates to December 12-18th instead? And if I do...will it be busy then since it's closer to Christmas?

Thanks in advance and sorry about all the questions!

Zimkeeper
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
We have been at WDW both weeks in the past and stayed at both POR and CB and have never experienced any problems with the kids at the parks or the resorts We do not use the food courts very often but on the occasions we did, I don't remember any bad experiences. We will be at POFQ from 11/30 through 12/6 for our 25th anniversary and I am looking forward to another wonderful experience.:tink:

MW1218
06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Don't reconsider at all! You're going at one of the absolute best times of year. Good weather, low crowds, and the Holiday party if you want it. It's also been a week for Free Dining for the past two years. I went in the first week of December, 2009, and it was wonderful. Have a great time!

LuvsTigger80
06-15-2010, 12:58 PM
hi there!! We were there last year at that time...and you couldn't really tell the kids were there. We stayed at POP. and the whole week and a half that we were there..i think we saw them once at downtown Disney! They are too busy doing their pop warner stuff. Hope you have a great first trip! It sure is pretty at Christmas!!:mickey:

kakn7294
06-15-2010, 03:41 PM
We stayed at POFQ during Pop Warner week in 2006 and we could tell the kids were at POR. We shared buses between the resorts and they were often crowded with football players and cheerleaders, especially at the end of the night. POFQ's food court was very busy as well and I found out that some people were coming over from POR because they said it was impossible to eat breakfast there - lines were outrageous and there were no tables available anywhere. However, once we got to the parks, you really couldn't tell who was who except for the occasional small group all in their team colors or bursting into a cheer. People probably thought we were there for Pop Warner the day my 2 DDs and my niece all wore their school t-shirts. The kids we ran into were in the 10 - 14 yo range and traveled with their families or were well chaperoned so there no significant problems.

DisneyPrincess21
06-15-2010, 04:11 PM
I have our first ever trip to DW booked for December 5-12th at POR...but recently found out that POR resort often has Pop Warner familes. I'm really concerned about not having a good experience and high shool kids "taking over"!

Does anyone have any input?

Should I change my dates to December 12-18th instead? And if I do...will it be busy then since it's closer to Christmas?

Thanks in advance and sorry about all the questions!

Do not change your dates. This will be my 3rd year in a row being in WDW during Pop Warner time, and I have never had a problem or even noticed them in the parks. The only time I saw them was last year during a MVMCP (Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party) because their Coach bought the group all tickets to MVMCP as a surprise, and the only reason I saw them there is because I was waiting under the tree at MK and that is where they were all told to meet. After that point, I didn't see them the rest of the time.

The crowds you will encounter if you move your date will be way more of an impact then the Pop Warner kids.

You are honestly going at the best time, this will be my 4th December in a row and it is the best time to be at Disney. Disney is even more magical during December when it is all decorated, make sure to attend a Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, it is a wonderful special party that has special Christmas fireworks, christmas parade, Snow on main street, christmas carols being played, no lines at all the popular ridea (Pirates of the caribbean, haunted mansion, etc) other special holiday stuff and free hot cocoa & cookies.

Also make sure you don't miss the Osbornes Spectale Of Dancing Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

If you have an questions or want any tips about visiting WDW in December, feel free to send me a private message. :santa3:

AllDisney
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
This year will be our 3rd trip to WDW during Pop Warner week. We have never seen an impact at the parks. The Pop Warner kids are very busy with Pop Warner events/activities.

The only times we even saw them at the parks were at AK...6 kids & 2 adults and MK.....7 kids and 2 adults. Well behaved and had no issues at all.

You will be fine. Don't change your plans:mickey:

Simba 1
06-15-2010, 10:20 PM
We stayed at Port Orleans Rverside the first week in Dec 2009,over the Pop Warner competition. First, let me say that I am pretty easy going and don't complain about much - especially at Disney!

Port Orleans was filled to capacity, mainly because of the competition and it significantly impacted our resort experience. My suggestion is to go the same week, but check with Disney to find out if there are any moderates that are not hosting kids from the competition. I would not stay at Port Orleans if schools are staying there.

The kids were fairly well behaved but everything was packed - food court, buses, lobby, pools....I also felt that Disney did not adequately staff the hotel either. Check in was a disaster. Bell services took forever (plane in at 4pm and I had to beg for our bags at 10:30pm). Several CMs told us it was because the resort was at capacity.

We had a nice warm day in the middle of the week and decided to take a break and go swimming in the afternoon. We were in the pool for only a short time before one of the teams returned, victorious. The whole team jumped in the pool with their cheerleading clothes on while the parents cheered and took pictures. My 3 daughters were quick to jump out and want to leave.

Each morning we went down to the food court and literally waited 20 min or more in each food line (of course the kids all wanted something different). All the while listening to girls shrieking and cheering. Repeat the same scenario at the bus stop....and on the bus.

I usually love watching kids have a good time, but this all wore thin after a week. I don't fault Disney or the kids, but I will always check with the resorts first to make sure we avoid those kind of events (at the resort) in the future.

As far as the parks were concerned, we had an awesome time and would go again during this time of the year. The parks are pure magic. Don't miss Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.