PDA

View Full Version : Poly vs. Beach Club

Jessietoystory2
06-14-2010, 04:19 PM
We are going on vacation at the end of July and can't decide which hotel to stay at. I need help. We are a family of 5. DS17, DD12, DD7 & mom & dad. You see our children are of all ages. We will be going to the MK & Epcot during our 5 day stay. Please help us pick a hotel. Thank you.

Fastpasssteve
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I think it would be a dream come true for your kids to stay at the Polynesian Resort which is on the Monorail loop. It is a lovely resort with so many extras. I assume you've gone online and seen some fantastic photos of the resort and grounds. But the ease and luxury of being on the monorail line is so great. I highly recommend the Polynesian. The rooms there are slightly larger than the Beach Club. Five people can use any extra space they can find.

Being on the monorail line, you can easily transfer at the transportation center to the EPCOT Monorail. What a dream.

forever a child
06-14-2010, 04:56 PM
I think it would be a dream come true for your kids to stay at the Polynesian Resort which is on the Monorail loop. It is a lovely resort with so many extras. I assume you've gone online and seen some fantastic photos of the resort and grounds. But the ease and luxury of being on the monorail line is so great. I highly recommend the Polynesian. The rooms there are slightly larger than the Beach Club. Five people can use any extra space they can find.

Being on the monorail line, you can easily transfer at the transportation center to the EPCOT Monorail. What a dream.

:ditto:

Plex
06-14-2010, 05:34 PM
There are a few up sides and down sides to each one and I think it will depend on how your family plans on spending their vacation, what time of year that you're planning on going, etc.

Poly

Pros: Monorail to MK and Epcot, awesome atmosphere, great restaurants

Cons: It's at the MK end of Disney property, so it's going to be a bit of a bus ride to Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom. Getting to Epcot is going to require a change of monorails or a walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center.

Beach Club

Pros: Great pool, walking distance to Epcot (World Showcase side), Disney Studios, and the Boardwalk area. It's centrally located so MK and AK aren't too bad of a bus ride. If you're thinking you'll be stopping back at the hotel at mid day this will really help to maximize your park time. Tons of great restaurant options between everything in the Boardwalk area and being so close to the World Showcase.

Cons: Busing isn't that great really. BC shares buses with other resorts so you might have to wait a while at busy times. There's not really a quick service anywhere near by, so breakfast options are somewhat limited.

I'd say they're both equally good for different reasons. We love Epcot, so BC was a great choice for us on our last trip. However, we don't have kids in tow, and I think that might change our perspective a little. I think Poly will probably be better for you guys considering that you've got a couple of younger kids with you. Poly gives your direct access to MK and the more kid-friendly end of Epcot.

Hope that helps!

SBETigg
06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Cons: It's at the MK end of Disney property, so it's going to be a bit of a bus ride to Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom. Getting to Epcot is going to require a change of monorails or a walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center.

I wouldn't really list this as a con. It's not a bad bus ride to AK or DS, or anywhere else on property. Plus, the monorail to Epcot is a huge plus and it's easy to access. You're going to be busing to AK and other areas no matter where you stay, and staying at either the Polynesian or the BC does cut down on the necessity to bus to two of four major parks.

I would consider which parks your family prefers- MK/Epcot or Epcot/DS. There's something so magical about staying within sight of the MK and the castle that my kids (now 19 and 16) have been reluctant to try any resort off the monorail line. Though I do want to try the BC at some point, and I think the amazing pools there will be a big plus with older kids. The Polynesian's volcano pool is great, but the BC's Stormalong Bay seems even better. Both resorts have a lot to offer and it's a tough choice between them. The good news is that you won't go wrong with either one.

Jessietoystory2
06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. We will be going at the end of next month. My kids & DH & I prefer MK & Epcot. We won't be going to any other parks but those two. We want to enjoy which ever hotel we stay at the remainder of our days. That is why it is so hard to choose. It is also our 20th anniversary. We have always stayed off site, but since it is our anniversary and my son just graduated high school, it is a treat for our family. Keep the advice coming!

TammiMcMan
06-14-2010, 06:14 PM
It really comes down to personal taste in the decor and theming of the resorts. I'm not a huge fan of the Poly theming, but being that close to the Magic Kingdom, seeing the electric water parade each night and Wishes from the beach, are great amenities. The BC is set up a little more like a regular hotel, so it's not quite as spread out. The pool is a huge hit with the kids and the proximity to Epcot, DHS and the added entertainment of the Boardwalk are big pluses. BC rooms are a little smaller than the Poly. Both have some balcony issues and the Poly has much better view options.

As mentioned though, you can't go wrong with either choice. Just decide which one offers you more of what your family enjoys.

MOJoe
06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, with a 5 day trip and only visiting 2 parks, you need to choose wisely. Of course there isn't a bad choice here, but the two resorts offer quite a different experience.

Despite the theming, MK remains the focus at the Poly. The monorail gets you there in minutes, the castle and the other MK resorts are not out of sight, and no need to leave your resort for evening fireworks. Staying here, and you feel like you never leave the Magic Kingdom.

While Stormalong Bay is great, The Beach Club's view of the Boardwalk tends to capture your attention. And since you can easily walk to World Showcase, the focus here is all the entertainment and dining available within a 10 minute walk. With 2 parks, the Boardwalk and Mini-golf all within walking distance, staying at the Beach Club makes you feel that you are at the heart of all Walt Disney World.

Both resorts are relaxing, offer many dining and entertainment options, and in great locations. But of the two, the Poly may be somewhat more relaxing, while the BC offers more things to see and do.

Again, no bad choices here. Just reflect on how active and varied you want your trip to be.

BrerGnat
06-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, I have my list of reasons for never wanting to stay at Poly. The short of it is that there are too many amenities lacking that other Deluxe resorts ALL offer, and the Poly has one of the highest price tags to boot! Seems like you get much less for the money over there...

Now, I will just say that the POOL is reason enough to choose BC for an end of July trip. The main problem I can see with this is that your kids (and you) will like it so much, it will be hard to plan ENOUGH time to spend there and also do parks. You can EASILY spend 3 hours at SAB every afternoon. It's that awesome. If swimming is a priority (and relaxing, for you), then BC, hands down. In fact, BC also gets the HUGE plus of being able to walk to Epcot. In addition, I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that staying in the Epcot resort area is like being in the heart of WDW. The bus ride to MK is short and efficient, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Finally, I think the BC/YC is the perfect resort to spend an anniversary. It's so much more "adult" friendly, with enough good dining/drinking/entertainment around the entire Boardwalk area.

The MK resorts are great, but at night, all you are left with are hotels and the MK. You can't really go out for a stroll, or walk anywhere. You are tied to the monorail/boat schedule.

DDuck66
06-15-2010, 06:13 PM
If money is not an issue...then the Polynesian rocks. We just priced concierge there and it was about $6K for a week...we can get the Beach Club concierge with a bigger room for about $3700.