View Full Version : Beginning of the Tarzan Movie too Sad... any others that get to you?

Mammabruski
06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
We've been kind of having movie days here at home since the weather's been bad and my youngest DD is sick. This morning my older DD wanted to watch Tarzan. I tried to entice her with other movies, but no dice...

This has got to be the saddest beginning of a movie ever! Tarzan's parent's death, the little baby monkey, too. I cry like a baby. Then the scary scene with the leopard. Whoa. Disney really lays it on thick!

It made me think, what other Disney flicks get to you? Sad, scary...

afowl1017
06-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Sad beginnings.... UP. The love story of the couple in the beginning is beautiful but ends sadly, as life does. A bitter sweet start to a beautiful adventure! Love this movie! (I all ways thought Cinderella started off on such a sad note too :( )

disneymom15
06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
I agree, UP starts out very sad.

VWL Mom
06-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Does crying at sneek peek trailers count? If so, Toy Story 3! DS18 has basically grown up along with Andy....now they're both off to college leaving all those toys behind. :sad:

badkitty
06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I cried at the beginning of Nemo and I sobbed during the love story montage of UP! but then I cry at everything: Bambi's mom getting shot, the wilderbeast stampede in The Lion King, Uncle Remus leaving the plantation, Dumbo's mom rocking Dumbo in her trunk through the bars (next to UP! this is probably the one that affects me the most-Baby Mine makes me cry every time-I am tearing up just thinking about it!). I'm sure there are others. Ugh. Such a wimp. ;)

PirateLover
06-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I have seen UP 4 times now and have cried each time at the beginning.
The other movie that gets me every time is Toy Story 2, the song "When Somebody Loved Me" and Jesse is remembering what it was like when she was a beloved toy, then she was given up. I have such a deep connection to some of my toys that I have never been able to give them up myself because I felt like I was abandoning them. :blush:

akaDisneyDreamer
06-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Lion King always gets to me when Mufasa dies and little Simba is told it's his fault! Argghhh!

alphamommy
06-14-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thought the beginning of Up was horribly sad. DD10 kept patting my hand as I cried quietly. It ruined a great movie for me.

I haven't let DD watch either Bambi or Dumbo because they are too sad for me. There are great parts of both movies, but I can't stand it when Bambi's mother is killed, or when Dumbo's mom rocks him in her trunk. One of these days, I'll have to give in and let her see them.

IloveDisney71
06-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Up gets me EVERY time! I had recently lost my grandmother when I saw it and she and my grandfather had been married for almost 60 years so I went through a lot of tissues in the theatre when I first saw that one. I guess it will always get to me because of that memory but I love that movie probably because of that too.

PirateLover
06-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Up gets me EVERY time! I had recently lost my grandmother when I saw it and she and my grandfather had been married for almost 60 years so I went through a lot of tissues in the theatre when I first saw that one. I guess it will always get to me because of that memory but I love that movie probably because of that too.

Wow similar story here! My grandmother has been gone a few years now but she and my grandfather were also married for 60 years and not a day goes by that he doesn't think of her and talk about how she was the love of his life and how great she was.

I start tearing up when she is at the doctors and can't have kids... I'm bawling by the time she can't make it up the hill. I still love the movie though because I think it tells a beautiful and touching story overall.

joanna71985
06-14-2010, 05:09 PM
The beginning of UP, the end of Homeward Bound, the end of Meet the Robinsons, and parts of Air Bud (including the ending)...just to name a few. :blush:

McLiberal8
06-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I remember Up being pretty rough, but nothing compares to the tears I spilled during The Princess and the Frog! Talk about a tear-jerker!

Niecyboo
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
I think "Up," is the saddest of the movies, and I cried HARD at the theater (3D was a bad idea).

But the movie that makes me choke up every time is the end of Monsters. It's not sad, it's happy and sweet, but when you hear "Kitty" and the look on Sully's face! Every time!

Kenny1113
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Yep. Another one for "Up", it was a surprise tear jerker for me, didn't even see it coming. :( The other sad Disney movie is Bambi when he goes back for his mom "mother, mother". :'(

citizensnoopy
06-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Dumbo ... every time without fail!

alphamommy
06-16-2010, 04:43 PM
I completely forgot the worst one, because I've tried to block it from my memory for years: Old Yeller.

My mom (who had seen it years before) insisted that I watch it, and had to explain the ending to me (I was in elementary school). Since she knew what was going to happen, I can't understand why she wanted me to see it.

badkitty
06-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Ugh. Totally forgot about Jesse in Toy Story 2 and Boo' s"kitty" line at the end of Monster's Inc. Great. Tearing up just thinking about it.

NewDVCowner
06-17-2010, 07:01 PM
The Lion King. I always cry at the begining ("Circle of Life"), middle (Mufasa's death) and the end ("Circle of Life" - again).

Up I was blubbering hard at the begining, too.

disneycutie165
06-17-2010, 07:02 PM
ok here's my list:
fox and the hound: when the woman has to take todd to the forest to part with him... cried when i was little and still do
lilo & stitch: when stitch thinks hes all alone and lost and reading the ugly duckling book
hunchback of notre dame: beginning when his mom has to give him up.. im such a wimp!
UP: duh!
princess and the frog: OMG saddest disney movie i cried the last half hour of it!

....i'm sure i could go on but this all i can think of right now

Dznygrl79
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
The begining of Nemo gets me everytime, I turn on the dvd and walk out of the room until Nemo says first day of school and then I walk back in

DVC2004
06-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Up, Bambi comes to mind, The Lion King when Simba's dad goes, parts of Dumbo! So many I get sad over, it's embarrassing... I try to hide my crying from the kids but my youngest usually chokes up at the same things I do.

NJDad
06-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Up and Toy Story 3.

McLiberal8
06-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Yep - Toy Story 3 has now reached the top of that list, for me!

BellesRose
06-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I cry every time I see two scenes in Up. I watched Toy Story & Toy Story 2 yesterday with my parents; my mom cried for both of those. It's hard for me not to cry when someone else is crying. We are going to see Toy Story 3 today, I know we're all going to be bawling in the theaters. I'm already tearing up.

Ms. Mode
06-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Haven't seen UP because DD won't let me....she said I would cry.

But then we went to see TS3...and both of us were crying our eyes out in the theater (and trying not to let on). :mickey:

Maybe it's a new Disney thing, make them cry before you give them something to laugh about?

Disneypixie513
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
The begining of Up
The end of Wall-E
The Princess and the Frog. When I saw 2 stars in the sky, I bawled!
Old Yeller
It's not sad, but I choke up or cry during the song Beauty and the Beast and then at the end when Belle is asking the Beast not to leave her. (Must be the romantic teenage girl that I am,because I never used to cry during that movie.)
There's probably other movies that I've cried at (I am also one to cry at ANYTHING), but I can't remember them.

AdventurerKim
06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Up has the saddest beginning because it always reminds my DH and I of us.

DisneyDog
06-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I cry hysterically at the end of Meet the Robinsons. Every. Single. Time.

RAIDER
07-03-2010, 02:47 AM
The Fox and the Hound ,the part when she releases the Fox in the woods .... Was the saddest film ever for me
Was i welling up when i first saw that . And i havent watched that film since and i simply cant ever again, as it reminds me of my old Jack Russell, Harry who lived to a grand old age of 19.5 :blush:

Evil Genius
08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
"Baby Mine" in Dumbo is a very touching moment. I've been known to well up even before the song begins...just knowing it's coming.

The opening montage for Up! is a emotional rollercoaster! By the time he's visiting her in the hospital I am a wreck! I had to go see this movie alone as my wife and girls went without me and as I sat solo in a theatre with very few people I quite literally bawled. Sobbed in fact. A grown man in public watching a "children's movie" weeping. It was a sight!

The Princess and the Frog was the surprising one for me though. ::Spoiler alert::

When they threw the curve ball of Ray's death I was really thrown! Then once he joins Evangeline I was again boo hoo-ing. I'm such a softy!

rjmdds
08-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I think the beginning of UP is brilliantly sad. It is to me the best beginnning of any Diesney movie ever. The effect is powerful and sets up the undelying themes of the rest of the movie perfectly. It is so sad yet so frighteningly real. Saddest beginning to me by far.

Dragongirlx
08-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I had to ban my sister from watching Lilo and Stitch because she would cry all the way through that film but especially at the end when it looks like stitch has to go away.
I always cry at the bit in toy story two when Jessie is remembering the past.
I also cried at toy story 3

StitchFan#1
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I always crack at the end of Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch, when hes dead in Lilo's arms and she sheds a tear on him and he wakes up. Yep I cry all the time. :stitch2:

Dragongirlx
08-20-2010, 04:03 AM
I always crack at the end of Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch, when hes dead in Lilo's arms and she sheds a tear on him and he wakes up. Yep I cry all the time. :stitch2:

Stitch not dead Stitch Furry! Gets me every time too:stitch2:

brivers222
10-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Another vote for "UP"

my fiancee was feeling really down about the death of her monther a year before and she wanted a pick me up movie... so she saw disney had a new movie out...

BAD IDEA!!!! is all i can say.

loved the movie but i felt terrible for her :(