PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Cool Solution- Misty Mate!

PirateLover
06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
One of the most frequent topics I see on this board is how to keep cool during the summer months. I just had to share with you this product that has worked great for us over the years. DH and I are frequent visitors to the Jersey Shore, and 2 summers ago I found this little mister product in Rite Aid that became a life saver. It went through countless beach trips, amusement park visits, and walks around the neighborhood before finally meeting it's demise last summer during the sweltering June heat in WDW. Unfortunatley I could not remember the name of the product. With our next trip rapidly approaching, I used my googling skills to finally locate our lifesaver- The Misty 2.5! It is compact enough to fit in your pocket (much more convenient than those huge fan spray bottles), and is easily refillable at water fountains. The water doesn't have to be cold when it is put it- you pump it and somehow it makes it cooler! Misty Mate seems to have all kinds of products to suit your needs. We have also ordered the Misty 3 to use on this trip. Just thought I'd share!:thumbsup:

SBETigg
06-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for sharing! I'll be headed to WDW at the end of July and could probably use this little cool trick. And aw, you and your DH. Are you used to writing that yet? Congratulations again, and happy honeymoon travels to you!

PirateLover
06-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for sharing! I'll be headed to WDW at the end of July and could probably use this little cool trick. And aw, you and your DH. Are you used to writing that yet? Congratulations again, and happy honeymoon travels to you!

Come to think of it, Sherri, I think that might've been the first Intercot usage of it outside of wedding references! We are so pumped for our trip and I'm beyond excited that I found this product I actually screamed out loud.

Melanie
06-13-2010, 03:50 PM
These look like a good thing.:thumbsup: I think I'm going to order the 2.5 2 pack. Thanks Maryanne! I'm realizing that as much as we go now, we're in need of something like this and those big, bulky ones they sell in the parks just don't do it for me.

PirateLover
06-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I was reading a few online reviews and just wanted to make some additional comments- Some people complain about it being poorly made. We did not experience this. Granted, it is made of plastic, so it won't last forever; however, If you don't go crazy on the pump, and don't throw the bottle on the ground, it should last you a while. Ours finally broke when it was in a backpack and I think one of us accidentally sat on it.

Others complain about leaking. If you are not careful when you fill it, water can get trapped in the crevices of the pump portion and it could leak out. Also as time wore on the seal on top didn't seem to fit quite as tight and would leak just a little every now and then. There is a simple solution to this- just keep it a small sandwich baggie!!!

You can find the product for cheaper via other websites, but the Misty Mate website will allow you to register your product for a 4 year limited warranty.

Happy misting everyone!
I'm starting to sound like a spokesperson for the company.

laprana
06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
We found these a few years ago at our local Walgreens and picked them up for our annual WDW trip. I agree, they work great! They really do cool you down without leaving you feeling soaking wet like the squirt bottle/fan things do sometimes. I finally had to replace mine this year and found them on Amazon a few months ago. One tip to pass along: don't tighten the top too much or you'll crack the plastic (this is what I did to mine). Once it's cracked, it won't work because the bottle can't hold any pressure anymore when it's pumped. Other than operator error, I had no problems at all with my Misty Mate! :thumbsup:

Dyanna
06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
We LOVE our Misty Mate. Works great in the warm/hot weather :-)

PopPhan
06-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Might have to get one or two of these to keep in my golf bag! It really gets hot on the course during the summer months!

Nice deal on a six-pack of Misty Mate 2.5 on Amazon. Remember, use the link under ICOT Affiliates and INTERCOT gets a 'kickback"! LOL

Melanie
08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, I wanted to report back on my experience with these, and I'm sorry to say we were quite disappointed. :unsure:

We ordered two of the Misty 2.5 2 packs and two didn't even make it past the first day. One was not working before we even tried to use it (the misting button was jammed and wouldn't depress) and the other was broken in my MIL's bag before the MK opened our first morning. The upper portion you screw on and off to add more water had cracked and split at the side seams and leaked all over her bag. The third met the same fate the next day. In no way were we rough with these misters. I felt like we had to treat them as carefully as a raw egg.

The fourth made it through the week, but it's going back to the company along with the other 3 and hopefully they will send my $70 back.

I wanted to like these, they are cute, but not well constructed. :(

magicofdisney
08-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Several years ago they were selling these on QVC and I picked up a pair. I lost my first one on my last day at MK (4yrs ago). I was devastated! I tried to explain what it was to different CMs but they kept thinking I was talking about those gargantuan misters they sell in the parks.

My second mister finally died a few moths ago. It had a good life span. Like so many products now a days, I wonder if the quality was better back then. Sorry to hear about your mishaps, Melanie.

Melanie
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Ugh. Not pleased at all with the customer service with this company. No refunds after 10 days. So I'm getting replacements which I will no doubt sell on eBay.

SBETigg
09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I bought four for our last trip (one for each of us) and three of us felt it was a real pain to carry them around while one of us took it everywhere and felt it was a lifesaver. We don't do bags at WDW parks as much as possible, and he was the one with deep cargo pockets, go figure. Generally, I can survive without this product, but it did prove useful and only one out of four broke during the trip. We left them behind in our room when we departed because we bought so many souvenirs that we couldn't fit them to come home (even in our two extra bags bought for the purpose of lugging the extra stuff).

Melanie
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
and only one out of four broke during the trip.

Hmmm. But to me, one breaking is one too many, especially when they are new.