PDA

View Full Version : Work at home...

Dizneyana
06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know of any legitimate work at home companies/agencies?

I am looking for something, and don't have any solid leads... I got burned when I was in my late teens by the 'stuff envelopes' scam, and lost $20 bucks... Live and learn... :rolleyes:

Any help would be appreciated... :)

sassafras
06-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Don't know of any legit ones. Just be careful. There are some scams going around now where you're supposed to do some sort of work at home or be a "secret" shopper. They send a pretty large check, tell you to deposit it, and mail money orders or wire them back a huge portion and keep the rest for you. These are definitely not legit! Unfortunately lots of people get taken by this one and by the time, the bank notifies you that the check is fraudulent, it's too late and you're the one who takes the hit moneywise!

1DisneyNut
06-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't know of any either but a legit company will not ask you to pay them anything to do their work. If they ask for money, it is a scam.

Dizneyana
06-10-2010, 08:56 AM
... If they ask for money, it is a scam.

This part I know... Been there, done that...

princessgirls
06-10-2010, 09:43 AM
In New Jersey there was recently a big bust on a work from home scam. It had something to do with felony mail fraud and a mafia family...

STAY AWAY...IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT USUALLY IS!!!

Julie:mickey:

NewDVCowner
06-14-2010, 01:58 PM
You can also look into starting your own business that you can do from home. I don't have any experience with it, and it would take a while to set up a client base, but companys like Mary Kay and Avon encourage work from home. Or get a certificate in bookkeeping. Adult education out here offers five or six classes needed to get a certificate in bookkeeping, then you can do that work from your home computer. Again, though, you'll need to build a client base - the best way to do that would be to have connections at an accounting office. I work at one and we often have clients asking us for names of bookkeepers.

Dizneyana
06-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the ideas Aryn! :thumbsup:

In my dreams
06-15-2010, 08:31 PM
I can tell you of something to AVOID!!! medical billing and coding.
I am a RHIT ( Registered Health Information Management). I attended a techical school for 2 yrs and the program was accredited thru AHIMA ( American Health Information Management Assoc). You will not be able to get a good paying job thru the classes that are offered thru the ads in magazines. Now I see this advertised on TV, too. :confused:

All respectable hospitals will make sure your education was thru an accredited program.

Wadeace
06-15-2010, 10:49 PM
you might want to try calling larger companies with call centers directly if you have a dsl connection they might be able to connect you into there central system for your home that way.

another option are virtual assistant services, like callruby.com, these are services that offer to smaller business the ability to have answer the phone for there company 24 hours a day, giving them the look of a larger compony. many also offer other services to there clients much like an dedicated personal assistant would.

ElenitaB
06-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Depending on your skillset, you might consider checking out a site called elance where you can bid on different types of jobs (IT, admin, translation, programming, research, etc.) as a freelancer. Good luck!

Ian
06-16-2010, 02:27 PM
A friend of the family works as a transcriber from home. She takes tapes from doctors, lawyers, etc. and then transcribes them. I think she makes decent money and it's all work from home.

Not sure what qualifications you need for that, though, but it might be something to check into.

Dizneyana
06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks Ian... I'm sure that it takes some training, and I'm all up for that !! I appreciate everyones ideas (and warnings :nono: ) and will take them all into consideration before moving on... I'm in no hurry so baby steps are good in this instance.. :thumbsup: