PDA

View Full Version : Parade watching options

birdsell
06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
My mom will be in a wheelchar at the MK next Wednesday. They are showing the parade at 9 and 11.

My question is what time should we be in the area of the handicapped viewing to get a spot for the 11 parade? Will all of us be able to sit together (3 adults plus my mom)?

Thanks!

PETE FROM NYC
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Very few folks get to sit while parade watching, unless they are lucky enough to find a bench, or ledge. And even then you will have a whole load of bodies between you and the parade. DW and I are both ECV users and whenever we try to watch from the handicapped areas,someone is always pushing their way in front of you, or shoving their kids up front, showing no consideration for those of us who staked out their spots early.
At least the later parade usualy has a smaller crowd.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-09-2010, 05:30 PM
We've only used the handicap viewing areas once, so I'm sure someone will be along with better details.

But, from what I remember, I would get there fairly early, as the area does seem to fill up. If fireworks are at 10pm, I'd be there not too long after they finish.

For us, they only let one person, plus the person in the wheelchair be right together. I don't know if this has changed, but we just had everyone else be right outside the area, so it was like we were all together.

When we were at the Pirate and Princess parade, we found it easier just to find a spot in Frontierland, where we could pull the ECV up to the parade rope, and the rest of us just sat/stood there too. It was a "regular" spot, but it worked better for us.

I'm sure others will be along with more details.

Renfairwedding
06-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Ask a cast member were the handicapped viewing areas and they will point them out.

I advise you get there a little bit early as like the rest of route they do fill up. When you do find a spot pull all the way up to the rope or curb. this way no one can sit in front of you unless you let them.

This is not meant to be mean or anything but during all the excitement if you leave space someone tall will be sure to step in front. Don't stress most people understand and will help you see the parade

5togetherWDW
06-11-2010, 07:59 AM
We have used the handicapped parade areas and found that they often pack them too tightly for our general liking. Each wheelchair is placed directly beside the next. ECVs are driven touching -- manual wheelchairs are allowed a little more breathing room, but often are so close that you can't move your own wheels without hitting your artms. Cast members will direct the drivers to move chairs closer if they do not go tight. Each chair is allowed to have one family member either sit in front of the chair, on the curb, or stand directly behind the chair. Having been the person on the curb - I will warn you that it becomes VERY hard to get items out of the chair once you are packed in place. You pretty much are in spot until after the parade ends. If you choose a veiwing area with a curb -- you also will have to wait to exit until each of the other chairs do. (In the areas without an actual curb, they will remove the rope and you can simpy roll forward to exit.)

While this may sound negative and cramped -- it does cut down on the number of tall people pushing in front of the chairs / standing blocking their views. Sometimes, in the non-guarded areas -- you will have inconsiderate people block you at the last moment -- inviting their three 6ft tall friends to stand with them and lean right in front . . . Chairs tight together cuts down on this sort of problem.

Will all of you be able to sit together? It depends how close together you wish to be. All 3 adults will be allowed into the area with your mom -- but they try to get you sort of single file with the chairs in front. Two could sorta squeeze together behind the chair and one sit on the ground in front -- but you wont be able to spread out side by side.

alaMode
06-11-2010, 11:38 PM
We watched the 9:00pm parade tonight from a great spot in Frontierland! I parked my son's wheelchair right up against the rope and no one got in front of him.

We were able to get our spot at 8:30pm, so the wait wasn't too long and the parade was awesome!

Thanks again!