PDA

View Full Version : Best Age to Start Taking a Child?

Brian
06-09-2010, 09:38 AM
My wife and I had our first child in December. Needless to say, we decided not to go to WDW this year. However, we would really like to return next year. Our child will be just shy of 1.5 years old around the time we'd like to return.

What is the best age to start taking a child? I realize that at that young of an age, they may not retain any memories of the trip. So, I'm basically looking at this from the perspective of what's the best age to go that will make the trip enjoyable and stress-free for both the parents and child.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

c&d
06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
We took DS when he was 18months. He really enjoyed seeing all the characters (awestruck would be a better description) and watching the parades. He loved the Dumbo ride and Winnie the Pooh but his favorite, much to our chagrin, was Small World. We must have ridden it a million times when we were there. I must say that whenever he started getting cranky we headed to Small World and life was good again.

The one thing we found was we really had to do Disney at his pace and what he wanted to see. It will be slow. And yes, on certain mornings it took almost a 1/2 hour to get to breakfast because there were bunnies to watch and ducks to see. We would spend only a couple of hours in the parks and then time back at the pool.

Stick to some kind of schedule. Best advice I can give is to leave the parks and spend some time at your resort.

Finally no matter how hard you try there will be the meltdown. Just go with it is all I can say. We found there is little you can do because of the excitement of being there.

jprocket
06-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Everyone is different and you have to look at how your child and family go through the day. We took all three of ours when they were each 3 months old, typically stayed from park open to close and just found cool places in the parks for them to rest if they needed a break while the older ones went on rides, saw characters, etc. We have also taken them numerous times since then at all different ages and our schedule still remains the same-we just take it as the day goes and decide what we need to do.
Our boys are now 6, 4 and 2 and even though they don't remember their first trips, they love to look at the photos and videos and see them with the characters when they were babies. In my opinion, it does not matter that the child might not remember much of the first experience but I have the memories and the stories that I can share with them.

Scar
06-09-2010, 10:47 AM
What is the best age to start taking a child?I would say you should be at least 21 years old before you start taking a child. :D

IrishMickey
06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
We have taken all three of our kids from in womb to as early as 3 months. It is much slower pace, but their faces say it all and the memories are great. We are going this year with our kids (9 7 & 5) and their 18 month old cousin. We are all looking forward to it, woohoo!

megustamex
06-09-2010, 11:04 AM
We started taking the kids at 1 month each, and we've been going ever since. They are 3 and 5 now and both have vivid memories and conversations about the various Disney trips we've taken. So while they might not remember every detail of their first trips, they're building memories with each trip.

But that's not really why we go now. Now, it's become the best family vacation we can have. And by best I mean the most stress-free for us, the parents. Our kids are at the age now where they're HARD to go on vacation with. And we've discovered that Disney is the most relaxing trip for us because it's the one vacation where we don't have to entertain the kids all day - they are happy just seeing everything at the hotels, on the monorail, and when we actually enter the parks. It gives us a break in that sense. It's also the one vacation where everyone wants to do the same things - sure, maybe we're not going on Everest or Space Mountain as often as we'd like, but that's okay, we're all happy to hang out at Disney together! Bottom line is, it's one trip you can all go on and have fun together at ANY age.

DizneyRox
06-09-2010, 11:14 AM
We went at 15 months and while it was a nice slow pace, still had a lot of fun. Diggin in Dinoland was a lot of fun, the characters were a blast, even went on quite a few rides, like Pirates, Small World. etc.

Going again a year later and we expect it will be a whole new experience, new sights, sounds, etc.

I wouldn't sweat the age, just understand it will be different...

Michelle15
06-09-2010, 11:46 AM
:congrats: on your new arrival! My DH and I also had a December baby. And we are going to WDW in September :mickey: and can not wait. Even though she will only be 9 months old; we couldn't wait to go again. Even though it will be a much slower pace then what we are used to...we are excited to show our DD:princess: the most magical place on earth.

cer
06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
It is really all up to you. We took ours for the first time when they were 5 and 7. It was fantastic and I loved every minute.

It really comes down to what your comfort level is. Are you going to be comfortable hauling a stroller? Changing diapers? Returning to the resort for nap time? Will you be flying and what will that be like?

Think about it and if you feel anxiety about it, wait. Otherwise go. The memories you will be making will be for you, less for your child, and you will treasure them. Not only that, you will have great pictures! :) Oh yeah, and free admission for your little one is pretty nice, too.

Goofster
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
We took our DD at 9 months and it was a very, very laid back trip. We only went to MK and the rest of the days were spent at the pool or touring and eating at various deluxe resorts. Timeless memories though of our first "family" trip to WDW.

In 2006, she was a little over 3 and my son was 18 months. At 3 she was great, while my son had his occasional meltdown but was otherwise in good spirits. In 2008, my DD was 5, my son 3 and our newest addition was 14 months. He's our "red head" and kept us busy by not wanting to stand with us in line (he just started walking), etc. In 2009, my DD was 6 and wonderful, my son turned 5 when we were there and was great and had an absolute blast with the characters...while our red head had just turned 3 and was a little spitfire and required my mom to hang out with him at the resort a lot while the rest of us went to the parks. (In 2006 and 2009 we had my mom stay with us to help).

We took 2010 off so our youngest could 'mature' a little bit more and we plan on heading back in March of 2011 when he's a little over 4. So, the moral of the story is that all kids are different and you'll just have to be prepared to adjust your trip on day by day basis based on your child's needs and 'moods'. :thumbsup:

MuchLovedMama
06-09-2010, 02:43 PM
For us we waited til the kids were at least 5. DD was 7 and DS was 5. We waited for DS to reach 44" so that we could pretty much ride everything. RNRC was the only thing DS couldn't ride. PW at AK was closed so that didn't count.

DH and I aren't big on paying all that money just to ride kiddie rides and weren't big on the whole baby swap idea either so that was our reason for waiting so long but if your family is OK with taking it slow and taking breaks and possibly not gettig to ride everything that you might have wanted then you should be OK to go anytime. I know for me personally I wouldn't enjoy wrestling a fussy baby all day though so I don't think I would've been able to enjoy myself until my children were at least 3.

Waiting is hard though I know.

MidnTPK
06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
For us we waited til the kids were at least 5. DD was 7 and DS was 5. We waited for DS to reach 44" so that we could pretty much ride everything. RNRC was the only thing DS couldn't ride. PW at AK was closed so that didn't count.

DH and I aren't big on paying all that money just to ride kiddie rides and weren't big on the whole baby swap idea either so that was our reason for waiting so long but if your family is OK with taking it slow and taking breaks and possibly not gettig to ride everything that you might have wanted then you should be OK to go anytime. I know for me personally I wouldn't enjoy wrestling a fussy baby all day though so I don't think I would've been able to enjoy myself until my children were at least 3.

Waiting is hard though I know.
Can someone explain to me where to travel to, with a baby, that would be easier than Disney World? I've never understood the waiting to visit idea, unless Disney was not a place the parent wanted to travel to. If you only go to WDW for kids, I guess I understand, but where did you go that was an easier experience with a baby?

Did you not vacation at all during these years?

diz_girl
06-09-2010, 04:12 PM
We took our son in the womb and again at 17 months. He had fun, and he especially loved Kilamanjaro Safaris at AK. He was yelling at all the animals to 'come here'. He also loved having breakfast with Pooh, which he says that he remembered. He's almost 3 now and I'm trying to take him back very soon.

I also agree with the PP that Disney is the best place to take a baby. It is a very child-friendly place, with plenty of things for kids to do and see. You aren't glared at if your child cries in a restaurant, quite the opposite. There are baby centers at each park, with my favorite in AK.

We're not going to WDW on our summer vacation and we're still trying to figure out where we are going to go in August. We're trying to find a place that we'll enjoy and that our son will also enjoy. You don't need to worry about that at WDW.

MuchLovedMama
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Can someone explain to me where to travel to, with a baby, that would be easier than Disney World? I've never understood the waiting to visit idea, unless Disney was not a place the parent wanted to travel to. If you only go to WDW for kids, I guess I understand, but where did you go that was an easier experience with a baby?

Did you not vacation at all during these years?

We have an indoor water park resort called Great Wolf Lodge that's about an hour and a half away that we took the kids to and stayed at a few times as well as other smaller fun things. I just can't imagine standing in lines for up to an hour or more with a squirming fussy child and with heat and humidity to boot. That would be too exhausting to me and it wouldn't feel like a vacation.

Yes, Disney is very kid friendly but as I mentioned earlier if my husband and I are to spend that much money then we want to enjoy ourselves as well and be able to ride the more thrilling rides without the hassle. This is why we waited. We wanted it to be fun for us all. It's just a matter of preference and if the kids aren't going to remember it then I don't see what it harmed by us waiting. It's what we wanted. It's different for everybody though and you just have to know what you want.

Gregandmel
06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
The first time we went, our oldest was 6 (he was our only child at the time). We wanted him to be old enough to be self sufficient, tall enough to ride the thrill rides and yet young enough to enjoy the magic. It's different for everyone - part of it is the cost. We have since gone back twice in the last 2 years and now our youngest was 8 for his very first trip. It's different for everyone though. The year we went with our 6 year old, we traveled with another couple who had a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I don't think they enjoyed it quite as much, but they have been back many times since. There really isnt' a right or wrong answer to the "age" question... it's whatever you feel is right in your heart! If it's the "ONLY" time you think you'll ever go, then I would wait until they were older...but if you foresee many trips ahead - start whenever it feels right!:thumbsup:

dnickels
06-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Never! (since I don't plan on having kids). :mickey:

From someone who does though, my dad took me when I was 2 or something like that. He was all excited to take his first child to Disney and apparently I had no interest in anything other than playing on the sidewalk. His advice, like the previous poster, is to wait until they're old enough to be somewhat self sufficient, walking, out of diapers, know what's going on, can do the rides, that sort of thing.

As others have mentioned though, cost matters too. If you can afford Disney every year without it being a problem then go every year. If Disney is a once every five years type of expense then it might be better to put it off.

Most importantly, do what's right for your family, and don't worry about what any of us have to say. :thumbsup:

peemagg
06-10-2010, 08:49 AM
We took my 2 nieces ages 2.5 and 13 months and my nephew age 13 months to Disney and had a blast. The kids were great. Yes the twins don't remember it, but we do. They think it is fun to see themselves there in pictures.

I think a lot of it has to do with the temperment of the child. Our 3 are pretty laid back, so traveling with them was a breeze. They napped in their strollers and I can't remember any of them having a meltdown. They were just too involved in what was going on to care about anything else. In fact we had more problems with their parents melting down than the babies.

I didn't ride some of the bigger rides, but I was fine with that since it was also the kids parents first time to Disney. I watched the babies and they did the rides.

I would take them back tomorrow if I could, but alas the soonest they will get to go is in 2012 when they will be 5, 5, and 6. It should be interesting to see how they do then.

afowl1017
06-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Well I don't think it is a question of what age or how old. I have four children and it hasn't ever been about what age. (However we did take our first child at 18 months...he was a big fan of PlayHouse Disney at the time but we probably would have went before that had resources been there.) My DH and I love going to Disney and we wanted to start sharing our enjoyment of WDW and making memories for ourselves as well as a chance for our children to make them.

We also had a baby born this past December and have decided to make a trip in September (but we do have the three older ones begging to go :secret:). We have found with the kids they love looking at the pictures, watching the home movies, and hearing stories of our trips to WDW.

So I think it is really up to you and how well you think you and your child can handle the trip. Does going at this certain age have worth to you? Congrats on your baby and ENJOY going to WDW...when ever you feel it is right!

Disney Doll
06-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I just can't imagine standing in lines for up to an hour or more with a squirming fussy child and with heat and humidity to boot. That would be too exhausting to me and it wouldn't feel like a vacation.

I wouldn't do that even without kids. :mickey: We never go in the summer so as to avoid the bigger crowds and the heat. Plus, we use fastpass. I won't wait more than 20 minutes to ride anything. Period.

I took my first at 12m, 15m, &23m. We had great trips every time. We're going back in a few months with our almost 3 yr old and our 9m old. I think it was actually easiest at 12m because he wasn't walking yet so no wandering off.

#1donaldfan
06-10-2010, 12:27 PM
....our first family trip was with our youngest at 5...she did great and we didn't need a stroller, which I was dreading, having to drag that around....everyone is different and completely different levels of comfort, so you should get 10 outta 10 different answers....!!:secret:

ANG
06-10-2010, 12:34 PM
It totally depend son what you and your wife want out of your Disney trip. The younger the child, you'll have to sacrifice certain rides/shows.

DH and I took our son when he was 5 months old and had a blast! Sure he won't remember it, but we have some great pictures to remind him. We're also going this fall when he will be about 18 months.

1DisneyNut
06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
We were going every year before the kids were born and continued after they were born. Seems that Its a small world is always a favorite for small children. Now you asked when would be best to avoid a stressful trip with children.... To avoid a stressful trip with children, wait until they go off to college and then you and your wife go to WDW. Otherwise, no matter the age, trips to WDW with children of any age are going to involve some level of stress. lol

MidnTPK
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
To avoid a stressful trip with children, wait until they go off to college and then you and your wife go to WDW. Otherwise, no matter the age, trips to WDW with children of any age are going to involve some level of stress. lol

This is perfect...thank you. It's excatly how I feel and I couldn't figure out to express it this way.

ANG
06-10-2010, 02:28 PM
We were going every year before the kids were born and continued after they were born. Seems that Its a small world is always a favorite for small children.l

Our son HATED IASM! He cried the entire time and I felt so bad for the other passengers. To quote my husband "For such a small world, this is a long *** ride"

Brian
06-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all of the responses! I think this helped solidify my decision that we should go next year. We've been there many times in the past, and will hopefully be able to continue going well into the future. So, missing attractions is not a big deal to us. The biggest excitement will be seeing his reaction to everything and riding rides that he is able to enjoy himself. Personally, despite my love for coasters, I enjoy taking in the scenery and Disney's "slow-moving" attractions more (boat rides, movies, etc.) :mickey:

My biggest concern was really just the logistics of vacationing at WDW with someone that young, and not so much the limitations of what we can and can't do. We'll be taking him to the beach later this summer, so that may be a good "test run" to see how things go. He's a really laid back kid, so I'm expecting it to go well.

Thanks again for the responses! They have been very helpful and informative. I look forward to reading more if anyone else has anything to contribute!

crltkcagle
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Our youngest was 2 his first time and he still remembers everything. Plus there is so much magic there for a toddler. I wish I would have started my other two children out at two. Have a great trip!

BrownEyedGrrl
06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I really love age three, it's such a magical age anyway, so it was a wonderful time to take our two boys (they were both three on their first trip). They were in awe of everything, and never doubted the magic for one second.
But, that being said, we took our seven month old foster son last year with us, and he absolutely loved it! He was such a good baby at the time though, so I can't vouch for seven month olds everywhere. :D

I think that any age is a good age, depending on the personality of the child. As adults we get good at tuning out a lot of stuff, but WDW is hyper-stimulation city for babies. So, as long as you know your own child, and are willing to take a LOT more breaks and time outs than you ever did going as an adult without children, you and your little one should do just fine, IMHO. ;)

RedSoxFan
06-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Our first trip was when Kourtney was 5 and in kindergarten and the boys were in 5th, 7th & 9th grade. We thought about going when Kourtney was 3; but friends of our went when there daughter was 3 and didn't have a good time and advised us to wait. Wish we could have taken the boys when they were younger; it just didn't work out that way.

BelleKP
06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
We took our oldest at 2 and it was Amazing!! She was into all of it! Loved everything about our trip, including the down time at the resort for naps and swimming (without kids we would go from open to close!!). :cloud9:
We took our youngest when she was 9m, and although we still had a great time (eldest being 5 and still totally into the princesses!), I think it was too early. Our youngest is very easy going, travelled well and we went at a slow pace . .. however, I felt I was so preoccupied with caring for her that I missed out on a lot of the magic. I look at her now (15m) and wish we had waited until this summer (we went in December because we had never been during the holiday season before). Now she knows who Mickey is, who the Princesses are, loves Pooh and Handy Manny, etc. I just think we would have all enjoyed ourselves more if we had waited.
But as others have said . . . it's a very personal decision of what would be best for you and your child!
Have a great time when you do go! :thumbsup:

Rekenna
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
In the womb! You want to get the kiddos acclimated early.:mickey:

Seriously, I have been when I was pregnant with #2. By the way he is a WDW Freak at the age of 4! We have been with all 3 of our boys at all different ages. Age 1-10. They all have a great time not matter what.

The key is to go at their pace, relax, take naps, swim, play on the playground at the resort, don't eat dinners where they have to wait too long, etc.

Have fun!:mickey:

PinKy
06-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I think everyone has a different point of view about this and really they're all valid. It's really up to you and what your family's traveling style is. Disney is our family trip every year, so when we decided to begin having children, we of course just took them with us. Our two have been every year since they were born. We have a new arrival on the way and he will be the youngest we have ever taken a child - 3 mo. This of course isn't for everyone, but we enjoy it. It's our annual family vaca. And it wouldn't be complete without everyone there.

A couple of tips: make use of the baby care centers, don't rush, try to keep your child on his/her normal schedule, plan well, stay in accommodations that are as comfortable as you can reasonably afford- ie. Will you need a kitchen available to you or could you get by without one?

Have a lovely trip!

disneykid@hrt
06-13-2010, 04:57 PM
We took our daughter when she was 21.5 months old and although our friends and family all rolled their eyes "It's more for you than them"... all that GARBAGE- it was an amazing time! Small World is definitely a hit. The jumping water. The characters. Nemo. Figment.... The list goes on. We also took her for her second birthday and shortly after that as well. Each time she enjoys it more and I know that she wont remember her first three trips, and maybe not even her 3rd Birthday trip in January- but I have video and pictures and I will LOVE every moment of retelling the stories. So maybe it is for me?? the notion that "dreams really do come true" sounds so cheesy, but when you live it for a week it is that much more real.

Take a break in the afternoon!! DH and I would even switch off, one would do nap duty back at the resort and one would try and hop on some "grown-up" rides. (Soarin Tot, etc)

But take him!! You'll love it.

DizNee143
06-14-2010, 12:55 PM
i had my babygirl Cheyenne in Dec also..
im waiting until next winter to take her for her first trip..so she'll be around the 2 year mark..
and i am only waiting that long because of finances..lol..
i say go whenever you guys want to..you will get many opinions and what not from people but..you gotta do what you want! :mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
At 59 years old, I am my mother's oldest child.
You can take me to WDW any time you like.

AXOAlum
06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Well, my first trip was at a whopping 5 weeks old, so I am all for taking them at any age!

First trip for DS was when he was 8 months - he loved it... all of it. He was a wonderfully, easy going child, so we were very happy. (He is 7 and we just got back from his 10th trip, so he is still going strong!)

DD was 6 mos at first visit, 1 year at second, and 2 years at third (last month). She was a little harder at 6mos than DS because she liked being on a schedule. But at 1 year and this past trip at 2 years, she was great. Very carefree and ready to roll. She slept in the stroller whenever she wanted, and we were able to do pretty much whatever we pleased.

Regardless of age, just take it easy and go at their pace. You can't do/see it all in one trip anyway, so take your time & let the kiddos soak up the Wonderful World of Disney!

ghp918
06-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, asdie from the trip that DS was in the womb, his first trip was last Septrember and he was a couple weeks shy of 2. It was perfect - for us, but it definitely is a different pace than traveling kid free. We'd do parks in the morning, lunch in the park, then back to the resort for a nap, pool in the afternoon and then dinner somewhere. That was pretty much our schedule the whole trip. We did keep him up one eveniong for fireworks and i think he was so doggone tired and a little too young - he just zoned out in the stroller. He LOVED the characters and riding the rides - and we'd go on the multiple times - Dumbo & Small World were his favorites. And the pool (we stayed at AKL) was probably his real favorite - he could run around and it was just priceless to see his joy.

We went to Hawaii when he was 16 months and he was too young to get anything out of that trip. It was a family trip otherwise we wouldn't normally have gone to Hawaii with a kiddo that young. He did like seeing animals, but he couldn't have cared less.

We are going again in September (a couple weeks before his 3rd b-day) and I am 100% sure he will have a BLAST!

Jillian01520
06-22-2010, 04:57 PM
This is a great thread! I loved reading all your reponses because I am in the process of planning for next March the big WDW trip with myself, DH and 2 DS ages 2 and almost 7 (at that time)