PDA

View Full Version : ski trip

sydneymouse
06-08-2010, 08:18 PM
We are looking at booking a ski trip with DVC points. We have never been and will have 7 and 5 year olds with us. Any suggestions as to which area or resort would be best for kids. Any input is appreciated.

tundramom
06-08-2010, 08:51 PM
A little more info might be helpful...for example: month, area of country or even foreign soil, length of stay, other interests, how are you getting around once there, etc.

If none of you have ever skied, you may want to consider a resort with other activities or town within easy traveling distance. I say this because:
A. Skiing is a physical activity unlike anything except maybe water skiing, you will not ski day and night, it is too fatiguing. My DH and I are (and were) quite physically fit when we honeymooned in Colorado. We had skied in OH and NY, but the runs in Colorado were so much longer that we frequently would stop midway just to rest our quads, not to mention the thinner air. and
B. You may end up with one or more in your family who just don't want to ski nonstop. and C. With 5 and 7 y/o you are going to spend most of your time on bunny slopes or "green" hills unless you go to a family specific resort and want to pay extra for 1/2 day ski school or something similar. and
D. Cost!!! Maybe not an issue for you (if not Yeah for you) but for my DH, myself and DD (15) it costs close to $300 a day for lift and rentals. an occasional day off can be a huge savings if you could say go tubing :sled:or dogsledding :sleigh: instead.

Most ski resorts have pretty informative web sites. I always check out the slopes , in your case a higher ratio of green/blue courses would be desirable.
Hope this helps.

DVC2004
06-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Keystone, Colorado is an excellent ski resort for families. It's part of the concierge collection but there is a point range depending on how close or far from the slopes your unit is. There is a great fondue restaraunt on top of the mountain which gets rave reviews and is family-oriented. I have also heard the destination of Park City, UT and Lake Tahoe CA are great too. I think there are RCI destinations at both.