PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Dee Doo with young children

Goofy Pluto
06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone.

My wife and I are considering making some changes to our trip. One thing we are considering is trying to book the HDDR. But we're concerned about going with our young children and whether they will enjoy it. We have 7 yo DD, 5 yo DS, and 3 you DD. I think we'd be particularly concerned about the 3 yo as she typically doesn't sit still in restaurants. Anyone have any experience with young ones at the HDDR? Did they enjoy it? Did they sit still? Do they have a different menu for young children? I don't think my kids will eat ribs and fried chicken.

It's been a LONG time since I've been to HDDR (and my wife has never been). Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Thanks.

faline
06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm sure your two older children will like it very much. Your three year old may enjoy it as well but that depends on the child. I don't think you need to worry about having a child sit still at this venue! There's so much going on most of the time, I would guess your three year old will find much to entertain!

aurora, ariel, and bell
06-08-2010, 06:33 PM
We took our two granddaughters last year, ages 3 and 4. They loved it! Lots of hootin and hollerin, noise making so being still isn't an issue. They liked the chicken and mashed potatoes and loved all the action around them!

I would say go for it, we had a blast:thumbsup:

SingingLights
06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
There is a great deal of activity during the show to keep children of all ages interested in the show. I think they will love it. Our DD went to the show for the first time when she was 5 and loved it. We will be back there next week to see it with freinds. Have a great time.

Belster
06-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Don't do it!!! It was by far the most stressful experience we had at WDW. Great show...no problems there. But it is too long for young kids. My kids are very good at resaurants and such we never have issues but this show is really not entertaining for the young children....the puns o right over their heads and there is just not enough action to keep them occupied. My husband actually had to step outside with my 2 boys for the last 45 minutes while I stayed in with my daughter.

We will not be doing dinner shows until our children are a bit older.

finaldynasty
06-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Great topic...my question is what is the line up of the show? Do you eat first and is it similar to Whispering Canyon as far as th hoopin and hollaring? We are leaving in less then two weeks with a DS 8, DD 6, DD 3 and it is our first meal of the trip. Additional thoughts would be appreciated!

faline
06-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Great topic...my question is what is the line up of the show? Do you eat first and is it similar to Whispering Canyon as far as th hoopin and hollaring? We are leaving in less then two weeks with a DS 8, DD 6, DD 3 and it is our first meal of the trip. Additional thoughts would be appreciated!

The show occurs throughout your meal and is incorporated into parts of it. Hard to explain but it's nothing like Whispering Canyon. This is a stage show with a specific story line and performers with pre-set lines (though there is fair amount of ad-libbing within Disney parameters).

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-09-2010, 08:54 AM
We love the HDD! Our DD was 7 the first time she went, but we've seen lots of little ones. It depends on your kids though, maybe try a movie, or something else that requires "attention" before booking the HDD.

When you arrive there is salad and break waiting for you, and the rest of the meal is served after the start of the show.

You'll have a few minutes to eat, and then dessert is served as part of the show.

It all moves pretty quickly, and there is lots to look at, and it is pretty noisy, so the kids don't have to be "quiet", no one will mind if they're talking, moving around a bit, etc.

Goofy Pluto
06-09-2010, 10:04 AM
One of my concerns is the food and I haven't see any answers for that. Is it just the chicken and ribs or are there other choices for kids?

ElenitaB
06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
It's been years since we went... we celebrated my DS's fifth birthday there (and he loved HDD). They served him a bowl of Disney mac n' cheese, in addition to everything else they serve (bread, salad, chicken, ribs, mashed potatoes, baked beans, strawberry shortcake).

Jared
06-11-2010, 07:28 PM
One of my concerns is the food and I haven't see any answers for that. Is it just the chicken and ribs or are there other choices for kids?
There is no printed kids' menu, but you can request just about anything for your children if they won't eat the fried chicken and ribs. I recommend mentioning your concern when you book the reservation, and then reminding the Cast Member when you arrive.

Disney is used to accommodating children who will only eat pizza or macaroni and cheese.

mattandmandy
06-13-2010, 11:29 AM
My 2 boys love it. They were 2 and 3 the first time we went and the second time was last year and they were 3 and 4. They LOVE it. Its interactive and my 4 year old even got pulled on stage to participate. They still remember and talk about it. They especially love banging the wash boards at the end of the show. :mickey:

CU Tiger
06-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I bet all your kids will love the show! It is one of our favorites.:thumbsup:
If you want something other than chicken and ribs, just ask. We always request mac & Cheese for our DD. I bet they just go next door to trails end and get what you need.:mickey: