PDA

View Full Version : Just got back (June 7th)

WiltonJohn
06-08-2010, 02:47 PM
We have just returned from a wonderful week at Disney World (June 1-7). Last time we were there was 2 years ago.

The weather was HOT, as might be expected. Mostly low 90's. Humidity varied from not too bad to awful. Most afternoons we had a thunderstorm. But it did not last long.

We stayed at Pop Century, fourth floor in the 90 section. The room was refurbished.

Interestingly, we found the parks relatively uncrowded this week.

The longest wait we experienced was for "Soarin",..... and that was only a 1 hour wait. And that was by FAR the longest wait we had for any attraction. For a lot of stuff we just about walked right on. More typical waits for us were in the 5 to 15 minute range. And there were a lot at only the 5 minute mark. Add in a good use of the FastPass system,... and we spent very, very little time waiting in lines.

We did do "high volume" attractions like TestTrack, Soarin, Mission Space, Kilamanjaro Safari, Buzz Lightyear, Toystory, Splash Mountain, and so on. However please note: we are not the "Tower of Terror" or "Rockin Roller Coaster" types. However we saw maximum lines on those of no more than about 1 hour to 70 minutes either.

We skipped the Star Wars Weekend at Hollywood Studios...... to miss the inevitable crowds. Went on the Thursday before..... and simply walked onto the Star Tours ride about four times.

Our last night there..... the Magic Kingdom's "Night-tastic" fireworks show was ...well..... aptly named.... fantastic. Hook and the boys try to capture the castle in a barrage of cannon fire...... but Tink and the Good Faries eventually save the day. Place was PACKED for that premier.

We experienced a Disney first for us: on one day all of the parks experienced a power outage due to a thunderstorm. It took them about 1 1/2 hours to restore full operations. Clearly they were in a bit of a "tizzy"! Most people started leaving...... since we were at the Animal Kingdom, we just headed to the safari ride and looked at the animals again..... that attraction did not depend on normal electrical power. (5 minute wait!)

One day we took the Backstage Safari Tour. it was an awesome experience........well worth every penny. According to our guide, (the head of the program) it was an unusually small group.... 4 people! That let him do a little more "behind the scenes" of the behind the scenes tour.

:secret: We were the first 4 of the public allowed to get to see the new 2 week old baby elephant that was born there, named Luna. They were working on getting the herd used to her and her to the herd in the backlot pen area. We all also almost got "marked" (like a dog does a hydrant!) by a male White Rino in the backlot area. They spray a long way!!!!

Fantastic food, great service, wonderful rides and shows...... all in all... a great vacation.

best,

.............john

PopPhan
06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip! Thanks for the report!

retiredfigment
06-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Great report! I love when I read about someone's grat trip! Be there in 128:7:8 days!

forever a child
06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I was wondering about the Baby Elephant! I hadn't heard much about her. She was born while we where there on our trip and I kept listening to hear if anyone could see her. :thumbsup:

Wow, even Disney has power outages, LOL:D

Thanks for the Report!:mickey:

faline
06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Glad to hear the crowds were low. We've been at this time of year twice and had very diferent experiences - once the crowds were surprisingly which is why we decided to repeat at the same time. The next time, the crowds were quite high. Guess it must be variable!

Did you get to see the Electrical Light Parade as well? I can't wait to see that as well as the fireworks!

WiltonJohn
06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Yup, saw the Electrical Light Parade.... on two different evenings...first night there and last night there. The "America" themed float at the very end is pretty darn nice.

Luna (baby elephant) looked amazingly small right next to her momma. But the biologist in charge of her and her mom said she weighed about 300 pounds at that point... and could easily drag you around. Becasue of the "protective factor" of momma... we could only get about 30 feet away from her and mom. And still behind truly massive steel bars on the perimeter of the pen. They said that "the amimals called the shots" as to what they did and when.... but expected that she would be out into the herd and into the savanah somtime in the next two to three weeks.

She was adorable. She was trying to copy momma in learning how to use her trunk to pick up some folliage and get it into her mouth. The biologist said that the trrunk had something like 10,000 distinct muscles, and learning how to use it was a real accomplishment.

We ate at Boma the first night. As fantastic as I remembered it from two years ago. Try the curried seafood chouder. And the tamarind chicken. Actually ... try most everything. We did. :thedolls:

Had a fabulous meal at Yak and Yetti in the Animal Kingdom. The seared tuna appitizer is worth the extra ten bucks if you are on the Plus meal plan. Try their chocolate cake for desert!

Tokyo dining in Epcot had some great sushi and nice cold matcha (tea ceremony tea) for a drink. Also has a good selection of Nihonshu (sake). I had what in Japan they call a "flight"...... a sampler of a number of types of sakes. Excellent. I spend a lot of time in Japan..... had fun doing most of everything with the cast members in Japanese. The Japan paviollion in general is a very accurate rendition of parts of Japan.

best,

.............john

faline
06-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Yup, saw the Electrical Light Parade.... on two different evenings...first night there and last night there. The "America" themed float at the very end is pretty darn nice.

.............john

Looking forward to seeing it in person!

snowflakegirl
06-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Glad you had such a great time! I have to say talking to you tonight made me that much more eager for it to be August! 56 days and counting! :mickey:

finaldynasty
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Great report!!! Thanks for the insight. I hope my DF has as much fun in a couple weeks! Thanks for sharing.

KylesMom
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Nice to hear that your trip was enjoyable & that crowds were on the low side. We've seen a lot of "high crowd" reports in the past couple of weeks.

Great experiences with dining, and especially the Backstage Safari Tour. Cool stuff! :thumbsup: My family is also excited about seeing Nightastic.

Glad to hear your family had such a super time. Thanks for sharing, John! :mickey:

Joannelet
06-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I loved reading your info on the baby elephant! That must have been soo cool to see her mimicking her mom :)
Wow what a wonderful trip you had! I am so happy to read this and yes makes me want to plan a trip today!!!

Michelle15
06-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Good to hear you had an amazing trip.:D
I can't wait to see Luna when we go in September. I just love to see the baby animals! I just hope we have just as much luck as you did with the wait times:mickey:

yjgirl32
06-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow the tour sounds like a lot of fun- I will check it out. Thanks for the info. Great report.

BluewaterBrad
06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a good trip. Thanks for sharing!!:mickey:

slegrant
06-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for sharing:mickey: Sounds like you had a great time.

pdrlkr
06-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the Report! :mickey2:

DisneyorBust
06-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Glad to read that you had such a fantastic vacation. Low crowd levels are great, especially when the temps hit the 90's.
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

mouseketeer mom
06-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Awww! love the Luna the baby elephant story the best! Thanks for reporting!

Ropachs
06-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Glad you had such a great trip!

AJ Springfield
06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Our trips overlapped-- ours started on the 5th and ended on the 10th. I also was surprised that the crowds were manageable (except on Sat. the 5th)... I think that WDW is feeling the effect of fewer people vacationing. It was eerie (or should I say "ear"-ie) to almost walk on the rides when I am used to waiting in 30 minute lines. Glad you had a good vacation!!!!!

WiltonJohn
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks all for the kind words.

AJ,

I was wondering about the potential impact of the economy on the attendance levels. Not enough data to make any conclusions....... but it seemed freakishly low to me from all of my past experiences.

best,

.............john

WiltonJohn
06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Glad you had such a great time! I have to say talking to you tonight made me that much more eager for it to be August! 56 days and counting! :mickey:

Every day is one less day to wait! :mickey:

...............me