PDA

View Full Version : Summer Day Trips.....Cape May County Park & Zoo Part 3

NJGIRL
06-06-2010, 03:19 PM
We will be doing alot of day trips this summer so I thought I would post our experiences with everyone. Since many of us are watching our $$$$ I will post prices as well as personal experiences so everyone can decide for themselves whether the cost is worth it for them to make the trip.

The Cape May County Park & Zoo is located in Cape May Court House, NJ

We went to the park for a family reunion Memorial Day Weekend and had a blast.

First let me tell you that the park & zoo are free, but they do ask for donations when you are going in. Since we were having a family reunion we had a covered pavilion reserved for us. They charge for reserving the pavilions according to the amount of people you are having. I believe we paid $65 for 75 people. There are grills at each pavilion, but of course you must bring your own charcoal. They also have trash cans and parking spaces at the pavilions so you don't have far to cart all of your goodies. Under the pavilion were 10 or 12 picnic tables. Our pavilion also had a small playground for the kids and a huge playground was just across the street. The public bathrooms were across the street from the playground.

We spent our time playing cards, football, talking and watching the kids on the playground. I also saw people playing horseshoes.

We then went into the zoo. I have to say, personally I hate zoos. My son has never been to a zoo because I just don't like them, but I am not saying this to start a debate but to point out that although this is nothing close to the size of a major zoo, it was very well maintained. The cages and enclosures were so clean with alot of space for the animals. The trails were fun, there were a lot of bridges and shaded areas. None of the animals that I saw were alone. There were always at least a pair. Nothing looked very old and nothing was falling apart or rusting. We spent about 2 hours in the zoo (I was walking with a 5 year old) and we still didn't see the lions or tigers. Throughout the zoo were little stands selling animal related items & drinks.

Right outside of the zoo enterance was a large shop "Ark In The Park" and across from it was a snack bar "Safari Cafe". There were tables and chairs outside of the cafe for you to be able to stop and eat. The shop had zoo related items and the snack bar had pizza, soft pretzels, burgers, ice cream, funnel cake & drinks.

We spent about 7 hours at the park and had alot of fun. The best part is that the park and zoo are free and there is alot to do there.

This park is not far from alot of the beaches in the shore area so this is a nice day trip if you want to skip the beach for the day.

Bethanymouse
06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Glad you had another great day! We absolutely LOVE Cape May! We go to Wildwood every September and always visit Cape May!

NJGIRL
06-11-2010, 07:11 AM
We love Wildwood for the boardwalk & beach. We like to make day trips to Cape May but the town is a little too "sleepy" for us to stay more than a day.

Bethanymouse
06-16-2010, 08:40 PM
I agree with that! We love walking down the cobble stone streets looking in all of the shops. It is such a quaint beach town. So cute! Have you been to the winery?

NJGIRL
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I agree with that! We love walking down the cobble stone streets looking in all of the shops. It is such a quaint beach town. So cute! Have you been to the winery?

No, I don't drink wine. It puts me to sleep, lol. :blush: