PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...How do they know you are a WDW resort guest?

forever a child
06-06-2010, 02:48 PM
I was thinking of this the other day..

If you go early to the Parks (or even are staying late) how do they know that you are a resort guest? And if you are not...how do they either get you to leave the parks or not allow you to enter the parks during EMH times? We had GAD upgrade tickets our last stay so they were not tied to our room key and this thought just crossed my mind. How would they have known that we were resort guests and allowed to participate in EMH's?

On that same note, for MNSSHP or MVMCP or any other ticketed event...how do they get people to leave who have legit day tickets but not evening tickets?

rpayton
06-06-2010, 03:10 PM
EMH in the morning and night, when you scan your ticket it has the info on it that says whether or not you can get in and they give you an arm band. In the case of MNSSHP you have to have a ticket to get an arm band. I'm sure it's probably easy for people to slip through the cracks though.

retiredfigment
06-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Good question. What if you are staying at a resort, but have an annual pass. We are going in Oct. and in May and bought the AP.

DizneyRox
06-06-2010, 03:28 PM
If your ticket media is NOT a KTTW card for EMH Mornings, they ask for your KTTW card.

For night time, you need to show your KTTW card to get on a ride, they don't ask for ticket media.

Last I heard, they no longer get people to leave, they just don't let you ride. I think for MNSSHP they used to scoot eeryone over the tomorrowland while they setup and they could check there I bet, but I don't think they do that anymore. Much to the chagrin of actual party guests who pay to see the exclusive parades and fireworks.

IrishMickey
06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
we have been to the MVMCP and no one slips through the cracks. You have a hard ticket that is punched and then you get an armband. they usher everyone out that does not have an armband, and if your sleeves are covering the arm band CM's will ask to see it, my DH was totally amazed at their ability to do this without causing a scene. As for the rest of the time, I think they just scan your room card/ticket.:mickey:

Pirate Granny
06-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Last year I complained to a CM as there was an entire group of 8 that did not have wristbands and were sitting in Cosmic Rays and their children were participating in the MNSSHP. The adults at the next table were discussing how they DIDN'T have to purchase tickets for their children to trick-or-treat, play at the dance party and see the Halloween Fireworks and Parade. At first the CM was hestitant to approarch, finally got a supervisor; and then asked to see their wristbands...there were a lot of quiet people...and then they said they had "forgotten" to purchase...but would do so when the children were done dancing...I believe the supervisor then replied, let me walk you to the guest relations so that you can purchase the ticket, while the children are dancing...OK...with that said the entire group of 8 left with the CM. People do try and I guess I was the bad guy for turning them in, but they sat there quite loudly bragging that the didn't have to pay.
:pirate:

faline
06-06-2010, 04:13 PM
They no longer give wrist bands for extra magic hours but you do need to show your resort key in order to get on the rides. If you are a resort guest, you will have a key to your room regardless of whether you have an annual pass or some other type of park ticket. We went to an evening extra magic hour at Animal Kingdom last month and saw people being turned away at the entrance to rides when they could not produce a room key.

We've been to both Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party in the last couple of years. For this party, you do get an wristband when you enter the park on your party ticket. If you're already in the park and have party tickets, there are spots set up where you can get your wrist band. Cast members are positioned in strategic positions around the park and, if your wristband is not visible, they will ask you to see it. If you do not have one, you're not allowed further into the park and it is suggested that you head towards the park exit. On one occasion, we stood in line to get a photo with Cinderella's carriage. Another group in the line ahead of us had been waiting for quite some time. When it got to be their turn, cast members determined they did not have party wristbands, refused to take their photo and directed them to the park exit.

MushuGrl
06-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't remember this so much during our MNSSHP, but when we did MVMCP back in 2008, there were ARMIES of CM's checking wristbands. As a matter of fact, when we went to each section, there was a long line of CM's stretching across entrances checking wristbands.

Daisy'sMom
06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
You weren't the bad guy for turning them in. People that think they can cheat the system do not care about rules, and certainly do not care about fellow guests.
I play by the rules that Disney has in place and expect others to do so.
People do not realize how much is spent on the extra activites that Disney provides. If Disney does not make money from them, it ceases. And you have to blame those that ruin for the rest of us.:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
You weren't the bad guy for turning them in. People that think they can cheat the system do not care about rules, and certainly do not care about fellow guests.
People do not realize how much is spent on the extra activites that Disney provides. If Disney does not make money from them, it ceases. And you have to blame those that ruin for the rest of us.:mickey:

Right On.:mickey:

Darbylew
06-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I think they do a great job getting everyone
out of the parks that don't have a wrist band
for the party. Now if I remember you have to
show your resort room key to be albe to stay
for extra magic hours. It seems to be that we
got our hand stamped or a wrist band at that
time. :confused::mickey:

forever a child
06-06-2010, 06:26 PM

Daisy'sMom, well said. It is not fair to all those who did pay and if Disney can't make it profit it won't be there for anybody. Plus, It is the wrong example or message to be teaching your children, "How to cheat the system"

I think they do a great job getting everyone
out of the parks that don't have a wrist band
for the party. Now if I remember you have to
show your resort room key to be albe to stay
for extra magic hours. It seems to be that we
got our hand stamped or a wrist band at that
time. :confused::mickey:

You know, I asked this question because I know we have been there for EMH's and I have never noticed anything as to why I could stay as a resort guest. But looking back on it in earlier stays we may have received a wrist band and I had no clue why. This visit we did not but I think we had our hand stamped one. I also remember an invisible hand stamp that we used to have to stick under a machine that showed up under it...Does anyone remember those? It's all coming back to me now, LOL! :D

grumpydude
06-06-2010, 06:30 PM
If you don't play by the rules, thats one thing, but then to brag about it. WOW:soapbox::offtopic:

DizneyRox
06-06-2010, 06:47 PM
This is also why EVERYONE needs to be on your reservation that's staying in the room. If they aren't listed, they don't get a KTTW card and they won't be able to participate in EMH. They check everyone's. You can't say, "They are with me!"

crltkcagle
06-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Last week during EMH they asked us for our key before they would allow us to get in line for a ride. I think you can still walk around the park but your not allowed to ride anything.

CleveRocks
06-06-2010, 07:03 PM
During a normal evening Extra Magic Hours, there is no need for ANYONE to leave the park. However, only resort guests may enter any rides/attractions, and they enforce this by making everyone show their key To The World card. This has nothing to do with one's ticket media.

UNLIKE at a hard-ticketed event such as MNSSHP or MVMCP, there is no attempt by cast members to clear the park ... the intent of EMH isn't to have non-resort guests leave the park, the intent is that the ride/attraction lines will be shorter because only resort guests can get in those lines.

goofygirl67
06-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Last week I did notice the CM's stopped asking for the key after about an hour. What's stopping people from waiting until then? At least with a wrist band ALL EMH people can easily be identified.

rpayton
06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Last year I complained to a CM as there was an entire group of 8 that did not have wristbands and were sitting in Cosmic Rays and their children were participating in the MNSSHP. The adults at the next table were discussing how they DIDN'T have to purchase tickets for their children to trick-or-treat, play at the dance party and see the Halloween Fireworks and Parade. At first the CM was hestitant to approarch, finally got a supervisor; and then asked to see their wristbands...there were a lot of quiet people...and then they said they had "forgotten" to purchase...but would do so when the children were done dancing...I believe the supervisor then replied, let me walk you to the guest relations so that you can purchase the ticket, while the children are dancing...OK...with that said the entire group of 8 left with the CM. People do try and I guess I was the bad guy for turning them in, but they sat there quite loudly bragging that the didn't have to pay.
:pirate:

Not a bad guy at all. If I'm paying $50+ per person to be able to get in the party, there better not be someone who is trying to get a "free ride" to something that you have to pay extra for. I'll rat 'em out too :mickey:

Fastpasssteve
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Hopefully, I won't have to experience this kind of "cheating of the system" too much during the Halloween Party this October when we're returning to WDW. I'm looking forward to getting some good 'ride time' in. I can't wait.

To PirateGranny - Honey, I woulda done the same thing. Things like that really burn my biscuits.

MickeyFanKY
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
In the past, I have always stayed at a Disney owned resort. This time we are staying at the Swan. Do I just show the CM my room key to get my wristband for EMH.

forever a child
06-07-2010, 07:47 AM
In the past, I have always stayed at a Disney owned resort. This time we are staying at the Swan. Do I just show the CM my room key to get my wristband for EMH.

:welcome:

Welcome to Intercot MikeyFanKY. We are neighbors.

Based on everyone's post replies, it sounds like you will either 1) show them your room key to be able to ride the rides during EMH or 2) be receiving a wristband after they ask to see your room key. The most recent system they have been using in the parks seems to be showing them your room key before a CM allows you access to rides.
:mickey:

DizneyRox
06-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Correct, it's your room key. The wristbands cost money, Disney doesn't like to spend money when they don't hae to. The keycards hae the info on them, so they are adequate. Nuisance for guests, but cheaper for Disney.

Scar
06-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I didn't have to show my room key for morning EMH at the International Gateway last time. I guess they figure the effort involved for an off-site guest to make it there before 9:00 would be pretty hard.

DisneyDudet
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM

CMs are trained to recognize the Swan and Dolphin rooms keys for admission to EMH and for the rides in the evening. Your key will look different, but they know (last time I stayed there, the pictures of the resorts were on the keys).

They used to do hand stamps and wrist bands for EMH, but no longer are those days, which is kind of nice. I didn't like waiting in line to get wristbands.

This past Christmas, they had CMs randomly walking the sides of the streets before parade times, checking for armbands (which they DO give out for hard ticket events). We were asked to show them at every attraction, and as the night went on, at some restaurants and shops.

Every time we've done an evening EMH, they have asked us for our KTTWC up until about an hour left. I have no problem with that, since those without keys walked around for 2 hours with nothing to really do.

All I have to say, is karma will come around to those who do not follow the rules and cheat the system, but Disney does need to get smarter than those people and create a better way of doing things.

Bohms4
06-07-2010, 10:42 AM
When we went in April we were never asked once to show our room key before we got on a ride during EMH. We were legit but my husband asked me how would they even know if we weren't legit?

MNDisney Dad
06-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Not that I would ever do this, but you could have a room key from a previous visit and use it for the evening EMH. We were there in late May and you just had to flash the card. The CM had just a glimpse of it and we were free to enter. Not enough time to determine if it was a current room key. Also, I would turn in the people who did not have the hard ticket for MNSSHP or the Christmas party. Good job!