PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter land on NBC

WDWfanatic742
06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
There will be a special on NBC tonight showing off the new Harry Potter land at IoA. 7pm EST, don't know about the other time zones.

NJGIRL
06-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info! I will be watching. :thumbsup:

brownie
06-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks for posting this! We're going to watch it. We're going to make a trip to Islands of Adventure when we go to Walt Disney World after Thanksgiving, so it'll be nice to see more background it. I hope they offer up more than what's been available online already.

WDWfanatic742
06-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I can't wait for this, hopefully it has some good video of the land and maybe even parts of the ride (Doubt it though...)

PS: I couldn't figure out where to put the thread. It was here where I know alot of people don't usually check often, or in the theme parks where it gets the most traffic and where alot of people I know are interested in the land. :fresh: :D

PopPhan
06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Watched it....wasn't all that impressed. Some of the info seemed like rehash of old rides/shows, some seemed OK, but nothing knocked my socks off enough to forgo a day (or more) at WDW for.

Yes, it would be interesting to walk through the HP "world," but that would be all the would draw me.

FWIW - I am a big fan of the HP books and somewhat of the movies.

brownie
06-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Watched it....wasn't all that impressed. Some of the info seemed like rehash of old rides/shows, some seemed OK, but nothing knocked my socks off enough to forgo a day (or more) at WDW for.

Yes, it would be interesting to walk through the HP "world," but that would be all the would draw me.

They didn't really release much more information than what's already been out on the internet. I did find it interesting that at least one of the set areas at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was designed before it's use in the movies, so the attraction influenced the movie. (I think it was the Three Broomsticks.)

joonyer
06-07-2010, 02:04 PM

Not counting the village of Hogsmeade (shops & restaurant) there are 3 attractions in the new Wizarding World and two of them existed when this area of IOA was part the "Lost Continent" Island (the area was called "Merlinwood" back then). The two old attractions, that have been "re-themed are the "Dueling Dragons" thrill roller-coaster (now called "Dragon Challenge" and the old "Flight of the Unicorn" mild family coaster, which is now called Flight of the "Hippogriff".

Dragon Challengeis exactly the same coaster, with the queue updated and changed to the Harry Potter theme of the Tri-Wizard tournament. The Hippogriff coaster track is the same, with new trains to resemble a Hippogriff in the front with train cars that look like big wicker baskets.

The new attraction "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" is really what all the hype is about, and it is supposed to be the newest state-of-the-art technology for indoor dark rides. It is not a coaster, although it takes you swooping through different scenes as if you were flying, using robotic arms that move along a track through the show building. Expect a really long wait for this ride anytime this summer.

The "Wizarding World" is not a theme park; it is only one "island" area in the Islands of Adventure. I think a lot of people don't understand that and think it is a whole new theme park.

WDWfanatic742
06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Not only that, but I'm going to expect a few of the visitors showing up at Universal Studios and wondering where Harry Potter is. I can't really remember them mentioning that it's inside IoA during that special that often.

TiggeRia
06-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I didn't see the special, but am thrilled for the opening of the WWOHP. I saw most of the available videos online, so if it didn't show much more than that, I guess it's ok that I missed it. It doesn't bother me that two rides have just been rehashed...I have never been there so it will be new to me. I am taking a day or two away from my September WDW vacation to take in IOA and will be allotting most of my souvenir monies towards HP merchandise. Can't wait to see it!!!

BrerGnat
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but that special made ME want to go there.

BUT, later. After the crowds disperse somewhat. ;)

I haven't been keeping up with it online, so hadn't seen much in the way of concept art or actual photos. It looks impressive, theme wise. And I can't wait to ride the Forbidden Journey ride. Looks like Soarin' on steroids. :thumbsup:

I also get the feeling that lots of people will be expecting a full sized theme park. Heck, my dad (who is a big HP fan himself) thought it was an ADDITIONAL theme park at the Universal property. This is their own fault though. They have been marketing it as a "theme park" for the duration of the planning phase. Bad move.

And, for those of you mentioning the "rehashing" of two rides, keep that in mind when WDW debuts its new Fantasyland...

forever a child
06-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I didn't see the special, but am thrilled for the opening of the WWOHP. I saw most of the available videos online, so if it didn't show much more than that, I guess it's ok that I missed it. It doesn't bother me that two rides have just been rehashed...I have never been there so it will be new to me. I am taking a day or two away from my September WDW vacation to take in IOA and will be allotting most of my souvenir monies towards HP merchandise. Can't wait to see it!!!

You can watch in online if you missed it and would like to see it. Just go to the NBC website. We just watched it online because I forgot it was on last night.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that special made ME want to go there.

BUT, later. After the crowds disperse somewhat. ;)

I haven't been keeping up with it online, so hadn't seen much in the way of concept art or actual photos. It looks impressive, theme wise. And I can't wait to ride the Forbidden Journey ride. Looks like Soarin' on steroids. :thumbsup:

I also get the feeling that lots of people will be expecting a full sized theme park. Heck, my dad (who is a big HP fan himself) thought it was an ADDITIONAL theme park at the Universal property. This is their own fault though. They have been marketing it as a "theme park" for the duration of the planning phase. Bad move.

And, for those of you mentioning the "rehashing" of two rides, keep that in mind when WDW debuts its new Fantasyland...

Is does make me want to go there and see it too. But I really wish it had been made into a theme park and not just a land. With 7 books and 8 movies there would have been more than enough material to cover one. But I know that is wishful thinking:thumbsup: