PDA

View Full Version : Please share opinions on Which resort to buy for resale

TinkerbellsMom
06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Still deciding about becoming a member. We are trying to get the most bang for our buck, so we are thinking resale purchase. The price per point are much lower for resales at the older DVC resorts than BLT. I would love to hear which resorts (OKW, SSR, BCV, BWV, WLV, Kidani) DVC members likes and dislike.

Thanks for sharing.

Basket Mommy
06-06-2010, 04:12 PM
We own all our points at HHI because they were the cheapest contracts we found through resale. I know people say buy where you want to stay, but we haven't ever had a problem getting a room where we wanted to stay at WDW, even at 7 months out. We travel during the value season, though, so that might have a lot to do with it. We live in SC, so HHI was a natural choice for us. We can book our spring break or summer reservations 11 months in advance, which is a huge plus since we prefer the 3BR villas at HHI and there are very few of them available.

faline
06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
While I understand you want to get the most for your dollar, there are other things you need to consider.

1. The point at which the points you purchase will end. If you are young, you may not want to purchase at a resort such as Old Key West where the points may expire before you wish to end traveling.
2. Your flexibility. Do you "need" to have the resort of your choice or can you get by with the one with available rooms.
3. Do you often need to travel in very busy times or can you mostly travel during "off" seasons?
4. Which resorts do you like to stay in? Does you choice for purchase match your style? Which, again, also goes back to # 2 and how flexible you are.

Good luck!

VWL Mom
06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I would love to hear which resorts (OKW, SSR, BCV, BWV, WLV, Kidani) DVC members likes and dislike.

Thanks for sharing.

We bought at VWL because we loved the setting and theming. From having stayed at WL we knew if we wanted to stay there we would need to buy there because of the smaller size. The location was a big plus for us since we spend a lot of time at MK and the ability to take the launch to CR and have easy access to all the monorail restaurants is great.

antnyh
06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Please be sure and check the monthly maintenance fees at the older resorts. It might be a little more to buy into BLT but it will pay for itself in the long run since the dues are so much lower. So please check into that before you buy.

Horizon93
06-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I agree that the end date of the contract should be considered. OKW, BCV, BWV, and VWL all expire in 2042. SSR in 2054, AKV in 2057, and BLT in 2060. There are some OKW contracts with a 2057 expiration.

You also need to think about the time of year that you normally travel. If you typically travel from May through July, during food and wine, or at Christmas time,, you want to buy where you want to stay. That gives you the 11 month window to make reservations. If you plan on going at less busy times, then the home resort won't matter as much.

We are AKV owners and love it there.

Good luck with your decision.

Hammer
06-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I agree that the end date of the contract should be considered. OKW, BCV, BWV, and VWL all expire in 2042. SSR in 2054, AKV in 2057, and BLT in 2060. There are some OKW contracts with a 2057 expiration.

Don't rule out getting an OKW contract with a 2057 expiration date via resale. They do have some of those contracts for sale. If you fill out a request form with the Timeshare store, you can specify that you want an OKW contract with a 2057 expiration date.

You also need to think about the time of year that you normally travel. If you typically travel from May through July, during food and wine, or at Christmas time,, you want to buy where you want to stay. That gives you the 11 month window to make reservations. If you plan on going at less busy times, then the home resort won't matter as much.

See, I have not had any problems getting where I want at 7 months out for our 5 night stay every year during food and wine. Last year, we were at BCV (1 bdr), this year we are at BWV (1bdr). I never know what the software delivery schedule is going to look like at 11 months out, so it is pointless to book my accommodations 11 months out. I do know have a much better idea at 7 months out. I really don't think I am unique that I can't plan at 11 months out.