PDA

View Full Version : The funny thing about dining reviews... ;)

BrownEyedGrrl
06-04-2010, 12:36 PM
is that it really must just come down to personal taste and personality! :D

We are trying all new restaurants this upcoming trip, with the exception of San Angel Inn (a family favorite!). So, I've been checking out reviews for some of them online. I read a review for Cinderella's Royal Table that was absolutely scathing; complaining about everything from how cheap and flimsy the plastic swords and magic wands were, to commenting on how the food was so horrible that they sent every dish, except one dessert, back to the kitchen uneaten. Oh, and they said the princesses weren't allowed to stop at their tables for pictures or to chat.
But below that, and in the same month/year, was a polar opposite review. Loved the food! Loved the wands and swords! Loved how much time the princesses spent at their table, and making their children feel special! ;)

But, despite any differing opinions, I need some help choosing two table service meals. First, we need one for a Magic Kingdom day. We've done Tony's, done Crystal Palace. Don't mind doing them again, but wouldn't mind trying something new. Could be at DTD this day as well, but it has to be on the DDP.

Second, looking for suggestions for a TS meal at either DTD or any of the resorts. We've done Chef Mickey's, and Whispering Canyon (before we had kids, the kids have never been to WC). Definitely DON'T want to do CMs again (it's good, just don't want to do it again right now), but are open for other suggestions. We already have Ohana for another day.

Any help would be appreciated! It will be DH, myself, and our two boys will both be seven at the time.

Disneyfirsttimer
06-04-2010, 01:13 PM
We really like the following:

1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian is nice as well. Decent buffet and a fun character meal with good interaction

Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom is fine. Not gourmet, but good

We have not done any TS in DTD. We love Wolfgang Puck Express but that is CS

We love Ohana's (but you have that one already). :mickey:

Ms. Mode
06-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Liberty Tree and The Plaza Resturant are both very very nice. :thumbsup:

And yes, you are correct on the reviews!

Pirate Granny
06-04-2010, 01:24 PM
You could try the Plaza...it is a MK TS...mostly lunch-type food, but we like it and the desserts. For the other, no recommendations for DTD...but as for a resort, and the ages of your children...BOMA in Animal Kingdom Lodge...dinner and after a walk through the hotel and viewing the animals with night goggles...also they have an outside firepit that has rocking chairs...wonderful...can't wait to enjoy in August...we'll be at Disney for one night in September while you are there...the 24th...and stay for the MNSSHP on the 25th and then will transfer over to Universal for HP Land.
:pirate:

SBETigg
06-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe is a great choice near the MK for one ts credit on the DP.

Other great choices at resorts or Downtown:
Raglan Road (DD), Sanaa or Boma (AKL), Kouzzina (BW).

#1donaldfan
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
....grab a boat from MK, head over to WCC and give 'em another try, this time with the kids, which will make it even better....they have the kids do all sorts of crazy stuff, then the adults get a try.....it's all fun.....

.....LTT is wonderful....I like it for a late lunch...the burgers are top notch....:mickey:

moe513
06-04-2010, 06:47 PM
At DTD Wolfgangs is very good

Japan Teppan edo is fun.
Germany Beirgarten is fun.
Crystal Palace has great food for both dinner and bkf

Next trip we are trying Grand flo Cafe, Kouzzina and Italy.

We also like the sci fi in dhs

EpcotFan182
06-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I enjoyed the Plaza and the Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK - both have good food

If you want to go a little fancier (and a little more pricey) I would suggest Fulton's Crab House in DTD. The atmosphere was really nice and the food was good IMO. I also enjoyed Cap'n Jack's in DTD.

As far as resort restaurants, I would recommend 1900 Park Fare in the GF, California Grill in the CR, Boma in the AKL, Narcoossee's in the GF, and Artist Point in the WL.

Have a great trip, hope this helps! :mickey:

ElenitaB
06-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Keeping in mind your two 7 yr old boys, I'd suggest WCC or Trail's End Buffet (at Ft Wilderness) for your MK meal. Personally, I do love The Plaza and your boys might like it there too (simple food which comes in handy to break up the heavier meals one tends to eat at WDW).

For DTD, the kids might like Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex.

I think the suggestion of Boma is brilliant: the food is good (again, you'll see people who love it there or hate it there), but your boys might really enjoy seeing the animals on the savannah.

Good luck! Wherever you decide, I'm sure it will be fun! :thumbsup:

Fastpasssteve
06-05-2010, 12:36 AM
I have two thoughts on your Magic Kingdom TS meal...no wait, make that three:
In the MK itself, I would suggest Liberty Tree Tavern at Dinner, specifically. Some people don't like the family-style service, but I find the place and food charming.

I am also partial to the Bakery on Main Street which features sandwiches and hot food, not to mention the best desserts (giant cinnamon rolls!). It is not a Table Service Restaurant, though.

Here is a third idea: Consider taking the Monorail over to the Grand Floridian Resort and having breakfast at 1900 Park Fare with Mary Poppins, Alice, the Mad Hatter, Pooh, and Tigger! The food is wonderful, great character interaction...and it's a TS credit. It's not very far away, and the Monorail is an attraction by itself!

As far as another resort favorite:

I do love 'Ohana located in the Polynesian Resort. Dinner is a lot of fun for adults and kids. Great food, a lot of value for your money. TS. Alcohol is extra, but when the kids are taking part in the evening entertainment in the restaurant, you could order a Lapu-Lapu, which is served in a whole pineapple. Yum! Remember, rum is for adults only.

disneykid@hrt
06-05-2010, 12:42 AM
You are so right about reviews!! Not just for Disney, but in the "real world" too. People have different tastes and different experiences.

That being said... We were very pleased with our meal at Liberty Tree. It's by no means gourmet, but tasty and fulfilling. Who doesn't love Thanksgiving Dinner?

The Flying Dutchman
06-05-2010, 09:15 AM
But, despite any differing opinions, I need some help choosing two table service meals. First, we need one for a Magic Kingdom day. We've done Tony's, done Crystal Palace. Don't mind doing them again, but wouldn't mind trying something new.

This is so funny, because DW, MIL, FIL, and myself all agree that Tony's was by far the worst meal we have ever eaten in the parks and you would have to FORCE us to go back again! But, as they say, to each their own :D

Now, to get back on topic. I agree with other posters. Try LTT. Its not a real fancy place, but the food is very good and feels similar to "home cookin'" But, as you have already pointed out, what others feel is fantastic food may make you run away. I say try it and if you don't like it, you can always come back and complain here on the boards! :thumbsup:

crltkcagle
06-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I AGREE! :thumbsup:

....grab a boat from MK, head over to WCC and give 'em another try, this time with the kids, which will make it even better....they have the kids do all sorts of crazy stuff, then the adults get a try.....it's all fun.....

.....LTT is wonderful....I like it for a late lunch...the burgers are top notch....:mickey:

HoosierDisneyFan
06-05-2010, 10:37 AM
For a possible dining option at DTD I would suggest trying Raglan Road. My DS13 & I tried this during Spring Break and we enjoyed ourselves. We ate early (5pm ish) but I hear it can get loud with live music later in the evening.

I have been reading good reviews of Grand Floridian Cafe (GF Resort) and Kona Cafe (Poly) recently so they may be options to eating inside MK, they are just a short monrail ride away. I will be trying these personally during my next trip.

Genie1953
06-05-2010, 04:35 PM

The burgers are only available on the lunch dinner. I have not eaten here for lunch before but have heard good things about the burgers as #1Donaldfan said. We have always done the evening meal (Thanksgiving dinner) and it is sooooo yummy!

MushuGrl
06-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree with LTT. We've done both lunch and dinner and it is always just completely wonderful.

And I love your post on reviews - what's not magical for one may not effect the magic of others. (CRT being a great example - we've never had a bad meal nor a bad experience.)

kapeman
06-07-2010, 10:06 AM
The Grand Floridian Cafe and the Captain's Grille at the Beach Club are two of the best and most overlooked TS restaurants on property.

Loweschevy
06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
It really does come down to personal preference and experience.

Think about the types of places you like to go out to eat at or what types of food do you cook at home. You are probably going to enjoy those types of cuisines and restaurants. Like we have an awesome teppanyaki style restaurant, but I really liked Teppan Edo. We do not like buffet style places, so buffets at WDW are not for us.

On personal experience; two different parties could go to the same restaurant on the same night and have totally different experiences. We went to Tony's last year and by all means not the best Italian food, it was good and the service was great. We have gone to Artist Point for years and will not go this year because of the service the past 2 years. Unfortuntely, any restaurant can have a bad night or server thats not on their a-game.

I do try restaurants 2-3 times before I write them off to be fair. I love writing reviews and giving my opinion on the evening, but I also am a trained chef so I am a little tougher on the critque.

In general the restaurants that we visit are as good as our favorite chains and the signatures are on par with some of the best restaurants we have experienced. We feel the pricing is comepetitive with other resorts we have been to like Scottsdale or Key West