PDA

View Full Version : Is the "Tea Time" worth it? at Grand Floridian?

acts
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Granted, I love all things Disney, however the food does tend to be overpriced and there is not a lot of it (sometimes).

I wanted to do a tea time with my mom and sisters at the Grand FLoridian, but am not sure if the price (starting at 15 - avg 20-25) would be worth it. We have lots of tea houses here where we live, that are great (abundance of food/ambiance/etc.).

Anyone who has been... feel free to advise. Is it worth the money? or should we do it back home?

Thanks for your help!

Strmchsr
06-04-2010, 01:15 PM
My DW said it was very nice, the food was excellent, and the atmosphere was very close to the high society tea houses (not the cozy little tea houses in most communities). It was a little too "stuffy and fru-fru" for her, but she still liked it. There's nothing uniquely Disney about it other than excellent service and setting. So, not sure if that helps your decision, but that's been our experience.

Ms. Mode
06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
My DD and I would love to do this but my DH is just not the "tea time" type. :)

I'm curious to what everyone has to say on this too.

faline
06-04-2010, 01:20 PM
My husband and I did this on our last trip. He is most certainly not the "tea" type - other than iced tea, I've never seen him drink a cup of tea. I'm not much of a tea person either. However, we both enjoyed our "tea" at the Grand Floridian. The tea sandwiches were good and the dessert was excellent! Instead of tea, I had a glass of champagne and my husband had a beer.

SBETigg
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I think this experience can go up or down depending on your server. I've seen glowing reviews from people who swear it's a great experience and so worth it, to not so glowing reviews of people who had a bad time and blamed the lack of service. I've seen more good than bad, and the bad can happen anywhere at any time, just as the good can. Overall, it's something I would like to try but have not yet.

clausjo
06-04-2010, 03:03 PM
My daughter and I are doing this on the 14th for the first time. I've read some really good reviews so I'm hoping it will be something that we enjoy together. I've not told her we're going so it will be a surprise. She's only 7 so she'll be doing the chocolate milk and peanut butter sandwich option. :mickey:

LuvsTigger80
06-04-2010, 04:25 PM
We tried the Tea in Dec for the first time...and we all LOVED it. Including my hubby and 3 yr old son(he got mrs potts with the mad hatter tea). It is a must do for every trip now. We even bought some of the tea and brought it home with us. Hopefully it will last until 2012!!:thumbsup::mickey:

ElenitaB
06-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Is it worth it? In our opinion, totally! $20 up in our neck of the woods would never ever get you a tea service (we always get the Buckingham and skip lunch and/or dinner). Its an experience that allows you to take a vacation from your vacation: no heat, no loud fellow park-goers, a bit of refinement and overall just a lovely experience. :cloud9:

Fastpasssteve
06-05-2010, 12:23 AM
I've been to Afternoon Tea with my friends and enjoyed it 4 times so far. I am not afraid to shell out some money if I have perceived value for my dollar. This is a lovely setting with wonderful food...a few moments of grace in the middle of what can be an exhausting vacation! The teas served are specially blended for the Grand Floridian and can be purchased, I believe. In fact, the last time our server sneaked us some in a little take-out box. I've even brought my male friends here and we had a grand time...which means they must have loved the sandwiches, the trifle, and the champagne. *hic*

clausjo
06-15-2010, 07:56 PM
My daughter and I went yesterday and it was lovely. I've never been to a tea before, so I can't compare, but we really enjoyed it. She's asked if we can make this something we do every time we go now. It made me so happy to see her enjoy the beautiful hotel and room and "fancy tea pots" that this will be a must do for us.

wdwvacationeer
06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Lovely is a great way to describe tea at the Grand Floridian. We do it every year and it is a "must do" for us. It is such a break from the action- we always leave feeling great! Twenty dollars or so does seem like a lot of money for tea- but, honestly, you get a lot for your money. I can't remember what it is called on the menu but we get the one where everyone gets tea-they bring that out right away. Then each person gets a plate of different types of tea sandwiches and then I think you also get scones and jam tarts. Lastly, you can choose either pastries (beautiful pastries that are brought around on a lazy susan) or strawberries and cream. My youngest daughter always gets the Mrs. Potts-too cute! I don't think you will be sorry if you try it!

Renfairwedding
06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
My DW LOVES the tea at GF. I try to make is special each and every time. Its not a great surprise as she knows I will take her every trip but she never knows when.

The morning of the reservation (I get up way before her) I leave a envelope with and invitation to join me latter that day.

One there take our time and choose two different teas and food items then taste and share each one. Never had we had bad service or servers.

I think the key to enjoying the afternoon is taking your time and enjoy the attention and wonderful atmosphere the GF provides. The first time I was there it was for my DW but now it’s an awesome break from the hectic pace of the Disney Parks and most of all it’s a special time just for us.

I recommend it highly! :mickey:

familyof5
06-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Is this the same thing as "The Perfectly Princess Tea Party"...where the girl gets a doll, etc??? If not, I didn't realize you could just do "tea"...

If anyone has information about either, I'd love to hear more!

Renfairwedding
06-16-2010, 10:55 AM
No its a different thing alltogether.

Jared
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Is it worth it? In our opinion, totally! $20 up in our neck of the woods would never ever get you a tea service (we always get the Buckingham and skip lunch and/or dinner). Its an experience that allows you to take a vacation from your vacation: no heat, no loud fellow park-goers, a bit of refinement and overall just a lovely experience. :cloud9:
I second virtually everything Ellen said.

I had no interest in trying the tea but was unwillingly dragged there in October 2007 by a group of fellow posters who promised I would change my mind. This was during the INTERCOT 10th anniversary weekend celebration.

I am surprised and pleased to say that I am officially a convert. The atmosphere is quaint and pleasant, and the food is wonderful. It's also a good bargain -- a rare sight on Disney property.

I went a second time in January 2010, which only confirmed my initial feelings.

Granny Jill A
06-17-2010, 03:21 PM
We always get the Buckingham Tea and it's WAY more than just a light meal. We were so stuffed from our mid-afternoon tea, we skipped dinner. The desserts are outstanding. Even my 6-year-old grandson LOVED it. Great place to relax.

MinniesMom
06-20-2010, 11:58 PM
We do this every trip as a "down-time" for the girls. We even did this on my wedding day (I got married in the wedding pavilion) me and all the bridesmaids and were treated like royalty! Very special indeed. One year my daughters and I did the Perfectly Princess Tea Party which was amazing but very pricey. So my opinion may be a bit swayed but it's always been a wonderful experience. Well worth the cost and like everyone said....a great place to relax.

acts
06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your posts and comments!! We are going tomorrow and I can't wait. It's a birthday surprise for my niece and her mom (my sister). I'll be sure to post how we like it.:mickey:

Checkers
06-21-2010, 02:36 PM
:mickey:This sounds like a great treat! Is there a dress code?

clausjo
06-21-2010, 04:55 PM
No dress code. My daughter and I went straight from the Magic Kingdom and it had been a very, very hot day. We cleaned up as best we could in the ladies room, but we were in our shorts and t-shirt and so were most everyone else that were there. There were some ladies in nice summer dresses, though.

Jared
06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
:mickey:This sounds like a great treat! Is there a dress code?
Both times I attended the tea, I arrived straight from the theme parks and never felt uncomfortable. You likely will see certain groups dressed up a bit, but it is not required, as the poster above me mentioned.

I think wearing something a little fancier could actually be fun for this event. The setting is quaint and elegant and definitely worthy of nice clothes.

wdwvacationeer
06-21-2010, 07:58 PM
We usually go straight from the parks, too. Most often we'll do a morning and early afternoon at MK and then take the monorail to tea. I would like to go and have my daughters wear something a little more dressier one time. Last year we sat near a party of ladies- it appeared to be a grandma, daughters and granddaughters and they all were wearing flowery dresses. The little girls even had on hats with flowers- like an Easter hat. They looked adorable- as if they had dressed especially for tea! We usually look a little sweaty and wilted but it doesn't really matter, we still really enjoy ourselves.

cardshopgirl
06-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I LOVE the afternoon tea at GF. This is always something us girls do when we are there. I never feel uncomfortable at all. The food is yummy and it is just a wonderful atmosphere. My neice and daughter (6&3) love it and always feel special when we go. Can't wait to do it again...:thumbsup:

acts
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Well, it was a success. We had the Buckingham (except my mom had the Grand(?) which was only different with some patte(sp?) and a glass of champagne). The tea's were all delicious. I drink a lot of hot tea (from the boxes at grocery store) and all their tea's were fresh, and amazing. You could taste the difference. I would go back just for the tea.

But the food was also good - and we were soooo full from drinking all the tea and the sandwiches and scone/tart, that we hardly had room for the desserts/strawberries and cream. Also, it was the best scone I have ever had - and the Devonshire cream was heavenly!

The atomosphere and relaxing were a bonus. It seems people love to linger in the A/C and the setting, so we did wait a little bit when we arrived but were seated quickly.

I highly recommend it! And I'm sure we will do it again.

Also, a nice touch - the server gave my niece a bracelet (birthday present) from Princess Aurora - apparently she had stopped by earlier and dropped it off just for Isabel ;)

Thanks again for all the info! I was able to help my family decide what to get based on your comments.