PDA

View Full Version : Swan/Dolphin vs. mods/deluxes

Ropachs
06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
As you can see from my signature, we've stayed at all the Disney moderates, the Poly, and will stay at OKW this Dec.
I've always thought the Swan and Dolphin looked very nice and I'd like to stay there as well someday, perhaps next trip.
For those of you who have stayed at both the S/D and the Disney owned properties, which do you prefer? What might we be giving up if we stay at the S or D? Transportation? Dining plan?

BugeyedMuggy
06-03-2010, 07:07 PM
We have stayed at the Dolphin In Feb. It is a very nice hotel but the one drawback was a conference that completely took over the hotel & closed down the pool area & bar. If you can look up (they will not tell you) if there are any it is well woth it for the cost. We are staying there this Oct. for $150 a nite to be close to the W&FF. So far during our dates we have not found any major conventions. The +'s are you are close to Studios & Epcot. The cons are magical express is not available and no charging to your room key, and no dining plan. Not a big deal to us.

Disoriented
06-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Have stayed at the Swan four times and had a great time during all four. Will stay at the Dolphin someday.

Wonderful location between Epcot and HS.

To me they feel secluded while being in the middle of the action.

Dolphin has the only 24 hr eatery of the Epcot resorts. You also get the same transportation options as the Disney resorts.

As pp stated no DDP, ME or room charges from the parks. I also believe there is a daily resort fee and a parking fee if you drive, approximately $10 each.

Fastpasssteve
06-04-2010, 02:54 AM
For me it is a question of staying at a resort that has the desired amount of theming. The Swan and Dolphin are lovely, luxurious hotels...but I feel as if they could be located in any major city in the U.S. They do not feel Disney-specific for me.

This Fall, I am staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge which is full-to-the-brim with theming. I can't wait to see and stay there.

I do know that educators and certain other professions get a discount at the Swan and Dolphin. If that's the thing that makes the trip possible, do it. Better some Disney than none!

Jenemmy
06-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I wasn't too jazzed about staying at the Dolphin last year, but my husband really wanted to try it. I am a die hard Disney nut and I thought I would be disappointed. Was I wrong! I thought it was great and while, no, it does not have Mickey theming per say, it is not a generic, stuffy feel either. It is whimsical and has a lot of character.

I liked it so much, I was there just last month. I got a rate that was comparable to a Dis moderate, and for that price, I just don't think you can go wrong. The location is really nice and I really have no complaints whatsoever.

MidnTPK
06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Having alternated (unintentionally) between the S&D and Disney resorts for my past several visits, I'll say I have a slight preference for Disney Deluxes over the S&D, but would take the S&D any day over a moderate.

My slight preference is indescribable and very small....and probably just because of some sense of loyalty I have to Disney.

Rationally, the S&D have better beds, and are far less expensive for a similarly luxurious room with the same proximity to the parks. You give up the ability to charge to your room in the parks and utilize magical express, but you gain 2 bottles of water a day, free internet access, and free long distance (well, free because of a mandatory $10 a day resort fee).

Starwood (the owner of the S&D) also has a loyalty program which is a big benefit. You earn points while you're there, but more importantly is that you can use points to get free room nights.

forever a child
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Starwood (the owner of the S&D) also has a loyalty program which is a big benefit. You earn points while you're there, but more importantly is that you can use points to get free room nights.

Although I have never staysed at the S&D, the Starwood program is great! I just used my starwood points to get a free room last month for DD swim meet! It was great seeing "0" on my bill!:D

Jeff
06-04-2010, 08:58 PM
We have stayed at the following many times: Poly(4), Contemporary(1), Beach Club(1), Board Walk Inn(3), AK Lodge(1), PORiverside(4), Carribean(1), Pop(1), Music(1), and the Swan(7).

Out of the above the Poly is my favorite with BWI or Swan being second.
My wife puts the Swan in first place.(Which would explain why we have stayed there more than any of the others).:)

As others have said, location is great and the beds are fantastic. Staff is always friendly.

You do give up: charging to your room key/card and magical express. There is also a daily charge for parking.

Ropachs
06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Hmmm...a lot to consider. I would VERY much like to experience something just a touch away from the magic, the location sounds fabulous, and the beds would be a nice bonus.

However, we have loved the Magical Express service, and paying for parking would be an added expense. Giving up the DDP once doesn't bother me at all, esp. since it seems you get less and less everytime the plan changes.

Well, thanks for the input, at least I now know the pros and cons!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Just a slightly picky correction; Starwood is NOT the owner, it is managed by Starwood and owned by Tishman and Disney is the landlord.

We've stayed at the Swan and the Dolphin and love them. The location is fantastic without paying the Disney resort prices. The beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in. And I used to work in the hotel industry so I've slept in a few hotels! You can have stuff shipped from the parks to the resort gift shop, but as previously stated you can't charge on your room key while at the parks. You also get the use of BOTH resorts pools etc.

We are splitting our next stay between the Dolphin and POFQ so that we can take advantage of the free dining.

SleepinB
06-05-2010, 10:09 PM
In 2006, we stayed at a moderate (POR) and the Swan for approximately the same cost. After a very disappointing stay at POR, we truly enjoyed the Swan.

The housekeeping at POR was horrible. In addtion, the room was very noisy. Each time another guestroom used the restroom our pipes would begin shuttering and the sink drains would make loud gurgling sounds.

By contrast, we enjoyed our stay at the Swan. The rooms and beds were larger and more comfortable. But the biggest advantage vs. a moderate was the location. We really enjoyed the ability to just walk to our favorite park, EPCOT, or taking a quick boat ride to DHS. The bus to MK was quick and efficient.

ME was not a factor for us because we rent a car and we do not particpate in the DDP. The resort fee and parking fee are disappointing, but it was worth the significant upgrade in accommodations and location in our opinion.

SuzieN
06-06-2010, 05:08 PM
My hubby and I stayed at the Dolphin on our honeymoon. It was very nice - we were even upgraded to concierge, but I would never stay there again as I would really miss the Magical Express and the dining plan.