PDA

View Full Version : Tigers pitcher loses perfect game on blown call

alphamommy
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga lost a perfect game with 2 outs in the ninth on a play at first that reminds me of the famous Don Denkinger call in game 6 of the 1985 World Series.

It took the first base umpire a while to make the call on a grounder that was tossed to Galarraga for the out. When he finally signaled, he called the runner safe. Instant replay clearly shows that the runner was out by a step.

I understand that it's hard to make a call in the heat of the moment, but it was very disappointing to have a young pitcher's perfect game ruined by a bad call.

Just the :twocents: of a lifelong Tigers fan.

joanna71985
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I feel really bad for him. It was an awsome game

tundramom
06-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Even Indians fans are appalled!My DH was irate at that call.

Spartan_Jeff
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I am still shocked. I feel awful for everyone involved. To watch it live, I went from cheering loudly to swearing even louder.

gerald72
06-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Horrible call

kakn7294
06-03-2010, 03:59 AM
I saw that and felt really bad for him. There seem to be a lot more mistakes amongst the umpires as a whole this season. I hope it corrects itself soon but it's too late for this poor kid and his perfect game.

ThanxForNoticin
06-03-2010, 05:22 AM
The human element should always be part of the game - and human's make mistakes. But I can't understand how an MLB umpire can miss THAT call at that time. For Donald to be called safe on that play, it had to be obvious he was safe - and he wasn't. That pitcher will NEVER get close to something like that again in his life.

WDWfanatic742
06-03-2010, 06:24 AM
At least the ump owned up to it and called it a bad call. Unfortunately, it's a little too late.

Melanie
06-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Heartbreaking! I couldn't believe what I'd just seen.

seanyred
06-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Two Words.

Instant Replay

It needs to start being used on important calls like close outs and questionable home runs. If MLB would have video reviewers like the NHL the right call would have been made.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
06-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Blown call by a professional who gets paid to make the correct call, and has done so millions of times. The pitcher did a very good interview after the game showing a lot of class in a situation where he could have really gone off on the umpire.

alphamommy
06-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I read in the paper this morning that Jim Joyce (ump) was VERY remorseful, and felt terrible after the game. Galarraga went and talked to him, telling him "Nobody's perfect."

The sad thing is that, for that one night, Galarraga was, and it won't go in the record books.

Hammer
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Jim Joyce has owned up to making a mistake which will haunt his career and him for the rest of his life. Every baseball player which has been inrerviewed has said that this 22 year veteren is one of the best umpires they have who just made a bad call, which all players are saying is very rare for him.

Look, if this had happened in Halladay's perfect game, I would have been upset for a bit, but would have gotten over it. I also think Halladay would have handled it the same as the Tigers pitcher. What I don't get is the that miniscule percentage of fans who feel the need to harrass Jim Joyce's children on their way to school or call death threats to his house. Really? Do you have no life?

I have not seen ESPN today, but I wonder if they are covering that negative like they did when the one idiot at the Phillies game threw up on the policeman's child?

alphamommy
06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm unhappy that it happened, but I have great respect for the way Jim Joyce has handled this, and for his career as an umpire. I would NEVER venture to threaten anyone's life or family into a situation like this. It is, after all, only a game.

I saw on mlb.com that Joyce was home plate umpire in this afternoon's game, and that Galarraga took the line-up card out to him and shook his hand.

In my dreams
06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga lost a perfect game with 2 outs in the ninth on a play at first that reminds me of the famous Don Denkinger call in game 6 of the 1985 World Series.

It took the first base umpire a while to make the call on a grounder that was tossed to Galarraga for the out. When he finally signaled, he called the runner safe. Instant replay clearly shows that the runner was out by a step.

I understand that it's hard to make a call in the heat of the moment, but it was very disappointing to have a young pitcher's perfect game ruined by a bad call.

Just the :twocents: of a lifelong Tigers fan.

My heart goes out to you, Detroit, Galarraga, and the umpire,too. I cried last night watching the replay on-line. I cried again today reading the articles about the outstandstanding display of sportsmanship. Every coach/player in America should watch that over and over. I am convinced that the day will come( hopefully not decades) where this will be righted and Galarraga will have his due.

it's still all "for the love of the game":thumbsup:

gueli
06-04-2010, 09:29 AM
On the part of the umpire & pitcher-

The umpire (jim Joyce) actually admitted he called it wrong after seeing the replay.

He said he understood the arguing of the call by the manager and staff.
But the thing he saw the most was that the pitcher (Galarraga) didn't moan about it, he went back to work and finished the game.:thumbsup:

Both parties showed a great amount of class.
Hats off to both of them.
and maybe Galarraga will find his way to that perfect game...:cool:

kakn7294
06-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Both parties showed a great amount of class.
Hats off to both of them.
and maybe Galarraga will find his way to that perfect game...:cool:I totally agree with you - it was refreshing to see how well they both handled what could have turned ugly. They both deserve a great deal of credit and respect.

WDWfanatic742
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm happy to see that for the most part, ESPN and the like really haven't been bashing the ump, its been more to the league where It should be directed to. Just look at the hockey game that night, they were able to review two different calls and it helps the game greatly.

joanna71985
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
What I don't get is the that miniscule percentage of fans who feel the need to harrass Jim Joyce's children on their way to school or call death threats to his house. Really? Do you have no life?

WHAT?! Seriously? Wow, that is really taking things too far- way too far.

I saw on mlb.com that Joyce was home plate umpire in this afternoon's game, and that Galarraga took the line-up card out to him and shook his hand.

That is really nice of him! What a classy move

Ian
06-05-2010, 07:52 AM
I'll never understand why baseball is so opposed to instant replay. Year after year stuff like this happens that just proves its value.

Hopefully, after this mess, Selig will finally drag his sport into the 21st century and make use of technology the way the other majors do.

Absurd that a young kid was robbed of being part of history for something that could have been so simply corrected right there on the field.