PDA

View Full Version : The "Fairly well planned with me learning to adjust a little" trip – day 3, part 2

MizMissy
06-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Who:
Me - Planner - 40
DH - 43
DD -9
DS - 7
Staying at The Contemporary – check-in Sunday, May 23rd, check-out Friday, May 28th.

Before I continue --- Time for another side note: I have a good friend at work who has never been to Disney. He and his wife have grown children and they always opposed taking the Disney trip with their kids. Maybe because it was too much the thing to do or because it was too hectic, whatever, they never had any desire to go to Disney. When I told him we were going on our family trip to Disney, I think he assumed it was simply for the benefit of my kids. A week or so before our trip, we were visiting in the office with others who have been to Disney and were exchanging pros, cons, favorites, etc. about parks, rides, restaurants. He started to realize that I was the Disney nut and that this trip was as much for me as for my kids. So, he was curious about why I loved Disney, what was so great about it. I told him about the details put into all the rides, the hotels, the different lands, how it created a whole experience, not just a ride park. In the days leading up to the trip, he kept asking questions, I kept adding different details, telling him about my plans and the different ADRs. He doesn’t love big thrill rides, but he loves details, he loves schedules, I was definitely playing to his interests and I explained how Disney is not just the rides and there are lots of shows and things to do without riding the rides, although, I think the queue details are the greatest part of parks. (sneaky, I know, but I love Disney and I love to share that love with others). :mickey: Well, during the trip, I decided to take some iphone pictures of the “details” along the way and email them to him during the trip. The thought occurred to me Monday evening when we entered the lobby of the WL, I took a picture of the kids in the lobby and emailed it to him. Then, in EE queue, I love that queue, I started taking more pictures. I probably sent him at least 40 (maybe more) pictures by email the remainder of the trip. I found that it added to my trip, really made me look for the details and I enjoyed sharing “in real time.” … and after telling him about F&W, there just may be a Disney trip for he and his wife in the future (finger-crossed).

Leaving AK and back to The Contemporary for a quick change of clothes for the kids (I can’t remember if I changed clothes or not, it was certainly warm enough to warrant some fresh garments). Another issue for me, I’m not a big fan of wearing running shoes, they aren’t that attractive with most outfits. All other trips, I managed to wear mostly sandals, dressier flip flops during park days, but with this trip being at the beginning of summer instead of the end, I was concerned my feet weren’t in sandal condition yet. Still, I managed to wear my choice of shoes most days and my feet and legs held up fairly well. I think today was the only day I gave in and wore running shoes to give my feet a little bit of a break.

A quick drive over to EPCOT. Arriving after noon, we had to park in Discover lot, but the tram was waiting for us. We headed straight to Sunshine Seasons for lunch. DS had the bbq/baked chicken selection, DD and DH chose Asian food, I picked the grilled tuna salad. We also chose a couple of beautiful pastries for dessert (I cannot remember, but I think key lime tart and maybe something chocolate for DS … DD – being my “choosy” (she hates being called picky) eater is not a big fan of desserts). The food selection was nice, but it wasn’t over the top delicious or anything, but I did appreciate a break from standard CS fare – although, this was only our second CS meal of the trip. The pastries were yummy though. Next we toured Living with the Land. Call me crazy, I really like this tour. FPs were all distributed for Soarin and the wait was very, very long. However, none of my crew were too upset to miss it. Next we walked over to TT. I think FPs were also gone and the wait time was something crazy. The single rider line was posted at 40 minutes. I explained single rider to the kids and they were interested in trying it out because they really wanted to ride TT. However, after standing in line for almost 15 minutes and not moving at all, I promised we would make it to EPCOT for park opening this trip and would ride TT at least twice. They were in agreement and wanted to try MS. I think the wait time was 30 minutes or less. I can’t do simulator rides, so I spent sometime shopping in MouseGears. I love this store. However, I did not buy anything at this time, still not sure exactly what I was looking for this trip. (Thus far, we’ve only purchased a TOT shirt for DS and an EE shirt for DH). After MS, DD was a bit green. DH said it was a bit claustrophobic. They rode the “intense” side. DS had no complaints. Next we headed to WS, DH loves the Norway shop and Helly Hansen gear. Maelstrom had a 30 minute wait, but FP were for 30 minutes later. Pick up a FP and shop in Norway while we wait. The kids love the troll, helmets and swords in this shop, also. There is usually a selection of sale merchandise in the store, but no such luck today, so no purchases here either. We still had time before FP, so we spent some time browsing through the China exhibit and shops. Then returned for our quick (and very cool) Maelstrom ride. DH and DS were tired and ready to return to the hotel for some pool time. I had never experienced the American Adventure, but after learning about it on Intercot, I really wanted to see it. So, DD stayed with me and we headed to American Pavilion, missed the Fife and Drums, but did catch the Voices of Liberty and American Adventure. I really loved it, but I love patriotic Americana things anyway. On our way out, I wanted to try one of those Grand Marnier frozen drinks everyone raves about and also a crepe. As we passed the funnel cake booth, it smelled so yummy, DD wanted to try one. However, they only take cash or major credit cards – I only had my room key on me, so we were out of luck. I promised we would return for one at a later time. The Grand Marnier drink was as good as advertised, sweet and cool on a hot afternoon. :cloud9: The crepe was good also, but I had a sugar crepe (DD not a fan of chocolate or the other topping), but I think it would be better with powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar (is that a faux pas for me to suggest such a thing?). As we continued our trek around WS, I finished my Grand Marnier and just could not pass up the Woodpecker Cider in England (hey! It’s vacation and Disney is doing the driving for me!).

We leave EPCOT, monorail to the hotel and meet DH and DS at the pool for a little while before going in to dress for our O’hana dinner. Our dinner was okay – DH and I enjoyed a Lapu Lapu while waiting – and we were seated before the fireworks, however, our table was in the back corner and we did not have a very good view of the lake. The salad and wings were a good start. I love potstickers, but these were a bit dry. I liked the turkey best of the meats, the steak and pork loin were also dry. Noodles were okay. The shrimp were good, but he brought them at the end and I only took two to try, but was too full and the waiter had disappeared to try any more. Before being seated, DD saw the caricature artist set up in the lobby and wanted her picture drawn. She rarely asks for anything, so of course I wasn’t going to tell her no. DS also wanted one, but we ran out of time before being seated. I paid for both pictures before dinner and the guy promised he would still be there until 11. So, before dessert was even served, DS was antsy to have his picture done. We excused him from the table early. Both pictures were cute, but I’m not sure they are actually a good likeness of the kids.

Whew! Another big day. I was happy that I was able to experience the American Adventure, the kids were very happy with their rides at AK, and DH seemed to be happy just being with family and not having to deal with a stressed out wife. :blush: Even though I'm not a fan, tomorrow looks to be a waterpark day.

BrerGnat
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Sounds like another great day. You guys did a LOT, even though it probably seemed to you like you didn't. I applaud your efforts to "go with the flow". You are doing great! ;) :thumbsup:

faline
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Lovely day! You're weaving your way through the crowds and enjoying your trip - what could be better?!

mouseketeer mom
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
My favorite thing about WDW is the details as well. Disney just gets it so right. Love all the attention put into the smallest detail.
I too, avoid sneaks and running shoes and anything else that makes me look yucky. I think your my twin!
Were you seated in the main dining room at Ohana's? We always ask to be put there. BTW, the turkey is my fave too, but I just use it as a peanut sauce holder.;)

pdrlkr
06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

KylesMom
06-03-2010, 01:24 PM
I can so appreciate you taking the time to share all the details with your co-worker. I'm the resident expert here at work, at there's been many a time that I have to explain to folks that if our annual trips were just for our son, they wouldn't be "annual" at this point. :mickey:

I'm sorry you guys weren't able to catch TT or Soarin' today. Hopefully you'll get back to one or both of them. Brave kids! No one in my family will mess with Mission Space - intense version! :D Great that you & DD hung out to see American Adventure, and that you were able to sample some "treats" on the way back to CR. You had two of my favorite Disney beverages today - Grand Manier Slush & a Lapu Lapu!:papple:

Truly it was another great day - everyone seems to be enjoying "the plan" you've laid out, and stress seems to be non-existent. I hope tomorrow's water park plan works out for you . . .

Thanks for another great report, Missy! :mickey:

DizNee143
06-04-2010, 12:17 PM
a great second part of the day at epcot!! :mickey: