PDA

View Full Version : Back to school at 53, wish me luck?

divinedi
06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Sooooo, I've been on Unemployment Insurance since last July when I got laid off, been looking for a job since then with no luck, and working with the government on their Second Career program, to get back to school and have them extend my unemployment and pay for the tuition etc. I got a call on Monday saying that I had been approved!!! I'll be starting school on June 14, for a Physiotherapist Assistant! I'm sooooo nervous, it's been a long time since I've been in school, and excited too.

And then, of course, I got a job while I was waiting for them to approve my schooling (after I had all the paperwork finally done) and she claims that she'll have enough hours, but I think she's overestimating her winter business. It's a pet supply place, with grooming on the side, that just opened up in our small town. It's a tourist town, pop. 800 during the winter months, 20,000 in the summer. She's not the only one around either, so enough competition that she'll have trouble making enough money for herself let alone paying me. I'm supposed to start tomorrow, I'll have to tell her that I can only work part time, she may decide to not bother with me, which would be sad, but I think the schooling will be a better idea.

So, any pixie dust would be wonderful, to help my brain get used to school again!!! With any luck I'll win the lottery this weekend (things come in threes don't they!?!? ;)) and won't have to do anything but figure out how to spend my money (yeah I know, dream on!! :blush:)!

Dznygrl79
06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Oh you can do it!!!!
But I know it may seem daunting, however therapy assistants are so needed right now. I just got out of 6 months of PT for a back injury I worked very closely with my PT's assistant, it was hard work for me but I can say I appreciate all they did for me. Before my injury I was a cook, now I can not lift enough to do that and I am still restricted on hours so I am looking about going back to school myself! For me I am limited in my mobility so I am trying to decide what I want to do...
Best of luck but I am sure you will do great!!

divinedi
06-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks Dznygrl79! I'm so sorry that you are having back problems, I'm sure you'll find something that you'll enjoy doing that won't cause you any more physical problems!! Thank you for the encouragement, and good luck with your decision!

SBETigg
06-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Dianne, how fantastic for you! I'm sure it's a little daunting, and you're very brave, but I think you'll fit right in and be very happy you went for it. Best wishes to you!

:pixie::pixie:

faline
06-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Sounds like a great move! While, it may be feel daunting to be an adult learner, you'll find you are far from alone! Best of luck for your future career!

RedSoxFan
06-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll do fine.:)

divinedi
06-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks everybody!!

ibrowse17
06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Good luck!! I found school to be much easier the second time around, and hope the same will be true for you:thumbsup:

CosmicRay
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I too have started back to school, my husband has ALWAYS been in school (BS in MIS, MS in MIS and working on another two Masters then working on his PhD). Several of my friends at church have also gone back to school. I find it funny how people who are stuck in a job (not meaning you, just others) think there is no way out and no possibility for change or growth. I have been raising four children and just had my last two the past two years in a row, so things are slowing down a bit and now I can focus on an education and on future journeys. Good luck, and I know you will do well!

Michelle15
06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
So excited for you Congrats and Good Luck.
My Mother-n-Law Just got her Nursing Liscense and got her nursing job. So its never too late to go back to school.:thumbsup::pixie:

Also I have been noticing this on a lot of posts and wondering how do you do this?
šOš ( I copied and pasted this)

DisneyorBust
06-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Good luck!

brownie
06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Good luck! :pixie:

divinedi
06-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence, I go for orientation tomorrow, Friday, and start school on Monday!

Michelle15 - to get Mickey ears, you first of all need a regular keyboard, I am on a laptop at the moment, and it won't work, that I know of, on there. If you have a regular keyboard with the numbers on the top, but also off to the right hand side, you hold down the ALT key, and then punch in 167. The middle is either a 0(zero) small or capital O, depending on your tastes. Hope this helps!

magicalmom
07-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm also back in school, so I know - you'll do wonderfully! You have the maturity and self discipline to get the work done as it should be - you won't be having to pull all nighters and having anxiety dreams about exams.

Best of luck šOš

(And thank you for the Mickey instructions!!)