PDA

View Full Version : The "Fairly well planned with me learning to adjust a little" trip – day 2, part 2

MizMissy
06-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Who:
Me - Planner - 40
DH - 43
DD -9
DS - 7
Staying at The Contemporary – check-in Sunday, May 23rd, check-out Friday, May 28th.

Monday, May 24th

We quickly head out of DHS and wait 20 minutes in the very hot sun for the EPCOT bus. This was our last bus ride of the trip. I’m not a fan of crowded buses, that’s why I like to avoid the buses. DH is not a fan of waiting around. Since we had our car, he decided we could drive instead of take the bus. (At this point, he still liked the monorail idea to EPCOT, that changed this afternoon). We arrived at EPCOT at 11:50 … do not slow down, do not stop for pictures, straight shot to LeCellier, keeping fingers crossed … but I did notice that SE wait time was posted at 30 minutes and a long line outside. Our joke in the family is that the Disney motto is “Slow and Steady” – none of the transportation, CMs working behind the registers, etc. seem to be in any big hurry. DH reminds me that Disney is “slow and steady,” do not worry about being 10-15 minutes late for our reservation, no need to run across the park. Okay. We arrive a little after 1, no one mentions a thing. Surprisingly, the restaurant was not absolutely packed. We had an excellent server, very funny guy, great with the kids, a nice cool restaurant, seated in a bench seat with the kitchen behind us. Very nice, so glad to be there. DD and DS both ordered the soup, steak and fries for their meal. DH and I both ordered the Filet. I am not a big steak eater, but I had to have the mushroom risotto. Everyone ordered medium, it was cooked perfectly. DD is my picky eater, so she gave her soup to her daddy. Just enough to enjoy dipping the pretzel bread in. :number1: DS loves to eat and eats pretty much anything and enjoys all food. He was a happy camper. Both kids had a sour apple slushie drink with their meal (way too sweet for my taste, but they were happy with the choice). DH also ordered the creamed spinach and I ordered the onion rings for everyone to share. The spinach was very good, but way too rich. This was entirely too much food for lunch on a hot day, but Hey! We are on vacation, live a little. :party: After a non-rushed, quiet and enjoyable lunch topped with maple crème brulees for DH and myself, sundaes for the kids, we decided to test our re-charged batteries in EPCOT.

Crowds, crowds and more crowds. FP for Soarin and Test Track gone, even Living with the Land posted a 40 minute wait. We started slowly, pretty much walked on Figment (everyone sing “One spark of light, can light your fancy …your mind sees more than what your eyes see …) , headed to Nemo, also walk on even though the posted wait time was 20 minutes. Spent some time exploring the aquarium. Also, we stumbled upon Innoventions. My kids loved it. We played the Great Piggy Bank Adventure and DH stood in line to ride a Segway. After we finished, the kids played several of the video games along the wall. We were all dragging at this point, so we waited about 5 minutes for SE, then straight to the monorail. That steep incline up the ramp after walking around all day??? They have to be kidding. Okay, monorail arrives, we load, then we wait, and wait, and wait. There were some problems. It ended up taking us an hour to return to the Contemporary from EPCOT. Arrived at the hotel about 5:00. DH has now crossed off taking the monorail to EPCOT – he didn’t realize there was the change of trains at TTC. We wanted to take a dip in the pool, but a little afternoon thunder cloud cleared the pool. We hung out in our room and on the patio area, then were able to go to the pool for a while. We had no ADRs this evening because we enjoyed a very big, late lunch. DH is not pleased with my suggestion that we would simply grab something from the CS in the Contemporary for dinner or even head to MK or other monorail hotels for CS. While the kids and I are at the pool, DH returns to the room to rest and make business calls. A little later, he returns to tell me that “we are all lined up,” we have reservations for Artist Point in WL that evening at 8:30. Yep, I love him, but he’s high maintenance. This is also where I’m a little stressed about the dining plan and having enough credits etc. No problem, we’ll just pay out of pocket for this meal. If we go to Disney again with DH, we will probably have to spring for the Deluxe Dining Plan. Shower, change into non-park clothes (good thing I overpacked myself and the kids) and drive to WL.

I’ve never been in WL, it was really beautiful. My favorite thing about Disney is all the details they put into everything they build. Wow is all I can say. We had drinks at the bar … my kids love Shirley Temples and the bartender was sharing her “secret” recipe for Shirley Temples, the kids were so happy. My little troopers. They were so good on this trip, we kept at a steady (not exactly slow though) pace the entire trip and they really were wonderful, I was so proud of them. I love how we can enjoy nice meals with our kids and they are so well behaved. Artist Point was practically empty. Only a few other tables seated around us in the restaurant. I was not hungry after the big lunch, so I ordered the Portabella mushroom soup (very tasty) and spinach salad (also good). DD had a hamburger and DS ordered penne and cheese. DH had the copper river salmon. Very, very good. The waiter was going on and on about the history of the fish and it only being available three weeks out of the year, so even though neither of us are big salmon lovers (I prefer white fish, not oily fish), DH ordered it. $48 entrée. Yikes. But, it was a nice piece of fish. Returned to the hotel in time for 10:00 Wishes which we viewed from the 4th floor balcony. Not the best view because the monorail is in the way, but it was better than walking our tired little legs over to MK. A quick walk through the gift shop and in bed because we had 8:00 a.m. reservations for Donald’s Safari Breakfast the next day. Another long day, did not go exactly as planned, I had hope to ride more at EPCOT, but the crowds were too much to handle, especially after enjoying such a nice lunch. Still, a great day on vacation with my family in DisneyWorld … a person cannot ask for more.

faline
06-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Sounds like the crowds are really getting in the way of your touring! Still, you managed to have a lovely day with some yummy food!

BrerGnat
06-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Another awesome report! I love your "wordy" writing style. Love getting all the details.

So, what I want to know is, what is up with the crowds? I thought May was a good, slow time to visit before the summer crowds flocked down. Not so?

disneykid@hrt
06-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Poor you for having to endure all of that tasty cuisine! :thumbsup: Sounds like a great trip, and despite the crowds you guys have already gotten a bunch in.

#1disneyfan
06-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Love the "mousse" at LeCellier! Thanks for sharing your busy day!

KylesMom
06-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Whew! I'm so glad you were able to catch your dining reservation at LeCellier. Between the three of us in our family, we all like our meat cooked differently (Me-Rare, DS-Medium Rare & DH-Medium Well). LeCellier (with their bread, appys, sides, meat & wine) has never disappointed us. In fact, we have three ADRs at this location on our upcoming trip. I'm SO glad that the CM let you ride RnRC early so you didn't have to miss it! However, I'd agree - it takes about 12 minutes to drive from CR to Epcot, but about an hour relying on Disney transportation after the monorail transfer.

LOL I can't believe your DH - after the marvelous (and large) lunch you ate, he lines you up with a Signature dining event. At least you got to see another resort, even though you weren't hungry - right???! :D A long and crowded, but enjoyable day, to be sure!

I thought May was a good, slow time to visit before the summer crowds flocked down. Not so? We quit going in May once DS hit First Grade back in 2004. However, we've never encountered what you would consider low crowds during that time, especially during the latter part of May. Between Magical Music Days, school field trips, seasonal passholders trying to get last-minute trips in, honeymooners, Star Wars Weekends, Memorial Day holiday & folks with young children who aren't in school, the crowds have always been there in late May. In fact, this is the only time that we've encountered a delay in entering MK due to the crowds in the evening, since Spectro & the fireworks (not Wishes at the time) were playing on a limited schedule.

It sounds like your family is rolling with the punches quite well, Missy! :mickey:

disneyfamily05
06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Love the trip reports. I actually feel tired and hot just reading them! lol. Sounds like you are trucking thru the crowds pretty well - I'm surprised too at how many people seem to be there this time of year. Makes me slightly worried about my fall trip.

BluewaterBrad
06-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Nope........ a person couldn't ask for more!! Great second day. MORE PLEASE!!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Missy! This is so funny! My DH would not be happy about grabbing CS for dinner either. He needs his dinner. A real dinner. Hysterical. And OH! That ramp at Epcot after you just walked 15 miles already...and whats worse is if the train is there and you have to RUN!

pdrlkr
06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Jessie
06-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Great job being flexible and going with the flow :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
06-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Great report. Thanks for sharing.

DizNee143
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM
so glad you made your reservation!
and lunch WOW..it all sound very very YUMMY!!! cant believe your hubby just had to make another reservation for that night..dinner sound pretty good too..but wow lots of food and its hot out!! not a good combo for me!
i LOVE the wilderness lodge..finally got to stay there in sept..absolutely beautiful there!:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
sounds great...thanks for sharing