PDA

View Full Version : What is Vinylmation?

JenSheriff
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
What is vinylmation? :confused: I'm seeing some threads discussing it, but have no idea what it is. Is it just a plastic mickey doll? Please explain to me... (and i do feel so silly for having to ask!:blush:)

Strmchsr
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah, it's (essentially) a little plastic mickey shaped doll. Each one has a different theme to it and has artwork based on that theme. They are marketed to "collect them all" as all fads are. Do a google image search for Vinylmation and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Personally, I don't get this fad at all, but, then I didn't understand beanie babies either. :D

EeyoresBestFriend
06-01-2010, 05:15 PM
They are various sizes too.

I am pretty Disney ~ but for some reason I find these little things freaky. :scared:
I guess one to many horror movies as a kid . . .:shrug:

beksy
06-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Don't be embarrassed...I didn't know what they were either!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I just checked vinylmation...kind of freaky looking things. Maybe a step above a pet rock in the food chain.

faline
06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm not a fan either!

AHOTE
06-02-2010, 12:21 AM
I just checked vinylmation...kind of freaky looking things. Maybe a step above a pet rock in the food chain.

:ditto: :spend:

Ropachs
06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I love all things Disney, but have no desire to collect these. Sorry, thumbs down!

Fastpasssteve
06-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I must say that I find them a little creepy. I wouldn't easily fall asleep with one of them on my bedside table.

I understand the idea of collecting, but these are not my cup of tea.

kakn7294
06-03-2010, 03:57 AM
I don't like them either. Guess I'm too old or something!

elmjimmlm
06-03-2010, 08:38 AM
I guess I am the only one that likes them... We started buying them last summer and my kids are wanting more... I like the idea of not knowing which one you are getting before you open it... I makes it fun for our kids...:thumbsup:
(it also made a good bribe tool for not complaining about the heat :blush:)

crltkcagle
06-03-2010, 10:20 AM
From what I understand you can trade them like pins too. I overheard some guests talking about it at the gift shop.

Imagineer1981
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
definitely don't understand these things, but who knows, I bet people were like "so you buy pins and you trade them? why would you want to do that? its just a silly pin?"

CU Tiger
06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
These dolls do not seem "Disney-Like" to me. They are very odd. I wonder how long they will last. It will all depend on the sales $$.:mickey:

johnO
06-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Checked them out in April.....not appealing..

TheVBs
06-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Not a fan either. Nothing about them appeals to me.

MariMouse
06-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm glad someone asked this question. I didn't know what to make of them, either. I also have no desire to collect them--they are kind of weird!

LauraByTheSea
06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I think they're "ok", and considered maybe getting one, but after I figured out that you don't know which one you're getting... That completely turned me off of them.

Disneyglamour
06-11-2010, 12:34 PM
The urban ones are kinda scary and freaky but I LOVE the parks and cuties ones! I got the mystery figure in the "cuties" set and its a sky blue with a beautiful castle in the clouds with rhinestones! I also have a clear one (because they were on sale) and I just ordered a "design your own" so I can play around a bit :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Don't care for them--just not my thing.

eeyorepoohfan
06-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I think some of them are really fun!!! :party: My sisters (all in our 30s) and I picked up a couple on our Disneyland trip last month. My DH and I saw them at WDW in December and liked them too. But I don't like all of the collections. The Muppet ones are super cute. I got a cutester and a park one (got EPCOT). The good thing about Disney is there is something for everyone! This may not be everyones cup of tea, but for others it's great! I'm not into the pins/pin trading, so I guess this will be my little niche! :yes: But my DH and I already said we aren't going crazy with it. ;) Only one for each of us on a trip!

McLiberal8
06-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I have one - it has the design of my tattoo, so how could I not get it? :)
I also just ordered a blank white one, so I can design my own. I am pretty excited!

Ms. Mode
06-16-2010, 07:01 AM
I love all things Disney, but have no desire to collect these. Sorry, thumbs down!

They are really pushing these, but really they hold no appeal for us. As first time pin traders on our last trip we were open to new things...vinylmation....no. :mickey:

Scrappy2
06-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Ok.. I guess I'm one of the weird folks that like them. I was like most of you until I bought one. I like to put different things on my desk at work from my trips so I bought one for my desk. They get addicting. I ended up with 5 and even did the trading thing. LOL!

Tink#64
06-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Oh my gosh, we just got back & those things were everywhere! It's seemed really over the top to me! Like Disney was working really hard to push that idea! Ok, really different, some were cute, various themed collections, I admit a little intrique there for me, but I see it more as $$$$! These things were almost like Happy Meal Toys with the element of surprise, like when the (was it Furbies?) were being put in the HM's and they came in nondescript wrapping & you got whatever you got!

Youngest DS wanted one just for the sake of having one, but I swear, to me it looks like a little Frankenstine! :silly: IMHO I can't imagine these things lasting!

madhatterrules
07-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I love them, I just saw them up close in DL and I couldn't stop looking at them. Everytime I went passed a store carrying them I had to take a look. Great desk accessory!:mickey:

mermaidmarian
08-18-2010, 05:45 PM
I think that they may be more of a kid/tween collectible. We just returned and my 12 year old son thought that they were totally cool and was very excited about the tradeability.

Disney4us2
08-18-2010, 07:04 PM
I think that they may be more of a kid/tween collectible. We just returned and my 12 year old son thought that they were totally cool and was very excited about the tradeability.

My DD (10) is in to the Vinylmation trading. She has about 8 of them that she will trade at DL. She is very excited to trade at WDW. I think it is about the hunt.... she loves the mystery box for trading. She keeps looking at the blank ones that can be decorated. I think they are cute. Love the little one for key chains.

kathiep
08-31-2010, 04:24 PM
We just got back and my DS (7) went crazy for these things. The anticpation of not knowing which one he would get drove him crazy! And everytime we passed a gift shop he had to go in to see which ones were in the clear box available to trade. It was like getting a new souvenir without spending any more money.

We did find that the rules of trading are enforced differently depending on the CM and location. Basically there's a numbered box you can't see in. You pick a number to trade for. Some let you choose more than one number if you don't like what you get. Some CM's only let you choose once. Some CM"s let you keep your original if you don't like the trade you picked, others did not.

One fantastically sweet CM looked at the number she picked and new she wouldn't like what it was and deliberately picked another one - definately aimed at little girls - out of the box. Only my husband and I caught on and were so grateful. But boy was the CM surprised when my daughter didn't take it. :blush: There's no predicting what she:blush: will & won't like.

darthmacho
09-03-2010, 03:45 PM
As a collectable, they have little appeal. I doubt they will catch on and wonder if the person who came up with the idea may have gotten fired? Lol.

On the other hand, whoever came up with the pin craze was a genius! I was skeptical at first, thinking it was a money making scam, which is probably true, but I think the difference is that whoever designs the pins is a person (or people, more likely) that "get it". They seem to have an idea about what is so great about WDW!

For example, I saw tons of pins of Mickey and other characters on our favorite rides, and a lot of them had moving parts. They were really cool, and tempting. I'm a thirty-nine year old man, and I actually considered starting my own collection, lol!

I did buy some, and I'm going to pin them inside a shadow box. i got a POR, a 2010, a 1971, and one pin for each park...yes,they got me! :mickey:

dragon73
09-03-2010, 04:01 PM
After feeling pretty adventurous, and seeing that out of two different series, that there were only one style each in the series that we absolutely hated, my husband and I decided to buy a couple.

Of course, we ended up with the only two that we did not want to get (just our luck). $20 later and lesson learned, we will not make that same mistake again.

However, the trading ability sounds good (we weren't aware of this), and we may just be taking our 'rejects' back to WDW for a hopeful upgrade :)