PDA

View Full Version : Question about free dining time frame and your experiences.

AmandaChan
06-01-2010, 01:06 PM
My husband and I had always talked about taking our baby for his first trip during his first birthday. But lately we've been talking and decided to probably wait until he's a few months older and go in September of 2011. We've always wanted to go during the food and wine festival and we thought it would be a little easier to take him when he's a little older. Also we'll have more time to save up. I think they're doing the free dining this year for that time frame but we were wondering what are the time frames that they usually do it every year? And is there any word on when they're doing it next year??

Also what is your experience with the free dining and how does it work exactly?
I know you have to purchase a stay in a moderate resort, which is what we would be doing anyways.

Give me your thoughts on the dining plan!

thanks

Strmchsr
06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
F&WF this year doesn't start until October and does not coincide with the "free" dining promotion. Whether they'll do it next year or not is anyone's guess. I would lean towards not, but I thought that this year. Disney is on record as saying they are trimming back discounts so next year "who knows?" Normally it has been late August through September and was announced around the first of April. This year they didn't announce it until the end of April and it's a tiered system where you get the "free" counter service plan at the values or the "free" regular dining plan at the moderate or deluxe. However, in order to get the "free" dining plan you have to pay full rack rate on the rooms, which means the "free" DDP isn't always the best deal. For 2 adults I seriously doubt that would be a good discount for you, especially at a moderate. You'd come off better with a room only or something else.

Your best bet is not to plan on any discount. Just pick when you want to go and don't worry about what might or might not be offered. Book through Magical Journeys (doesn't cost you anything) and whatever discount (if any) is released for your time frame they'll make sure to get it applied to your reservation with no worries on your part.

As for how the "free" DDP works, it's just like the dining plan any other time. If you're at a moderate resort it's one counter service, 1 table service, and 1 snack per night stayed per person.

Pirate Granny
06-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I have gotten the bounce-back offer the last five years...and am going back again this August. Bounce-back is where you book your vacation for the following year...I booked this trip DURING my last trip in 2009...and it's always been free dining...must book while you are there (no exceptions). You can transfer the reservation to MJ once it's booked with Disney. You must give a one night deposit. Since I have an annual pass, I had to purchase a one day park ticket...which I save and will use on a year that I don't get an annual pass (I have three such tickets on my old room keys from prior years -- since it's only a one day, it doesn't expire until I use). One year I had to ask more than a few times to get the bounce back brochure so that I could have the special code and phone number to call while I was there. I'm hoping that they'll have the same thing offered this year...time will tell in August.
:pirate:

Tinker Fan
06-02-2010, 11:26 AM
What is full rack rate?? Lokking at the site I see they have prices for different times of the year. Are these different then rack rate?

LandFan
06-02-2010, 11:31 AM
What is full rack rate?? Lokking at the site I see they have prices for different times of the year. Are these different then rack rate?

Yes, they are the full rack rate prices during different times of the year. Usually you can get AAA discounts or discounts if you have an annual pass or something so you don't end up paying full rack rate. Sometimes the discounts you would get using AAA or an annual pass are better than the money you would save on free dining. It just depends up on the discount and how you would normally eat (a lot of table service or fine dining restaurants or are you more of a counter service person).

sndral
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
'Rack' rates are what a hotel room price is w/out any discounts. Disney labels them as different 'seasons.' So, for example @ moderates for 2010:
Value season $149 wkdays $159 wkends
Regular season $170 wkdays $180 or $185 wkends
Summer season $185 wkdays $200 wkends
Peak season $195 wkdays $210 wkends
Holiday $214
Xmas-1/1 $234
Spring break and long weekends tend to be peak as well.
It's not unusual for Disney to up prices, so 2011 prices may be higher.

Tinker Fan
06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Thank You for the information.:thumbsup: