PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting questions

Georgesgirl1
05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
I lost my job as a teacher in early May. I have found a part time job teaching church preschool, but it is going to be a significant cut in pay. DH says not to worry about it, he will just work extra hours if we need extra money. While that is sweet of him, I don't want to put everything on him. I am thinking about putting up signs at our church offering to babysit. The thing is, I would have to bring DS (17 months with me), unless the jobs are at times when DH is home.
My questions are: How much should an adult with a teaching certificate, first aid certification, clean driving record, etc. charge per hour? Would you hire someone if they had to bring their own child with them?

Dznygrl79
06-03-2010, 06:15 AM
I was in the same boat trying to earn cash for my wedding, I was a certified pre school teacher with all the extras from the red cross. I offered to sit for $10 an hour and had no complaints from parents. Good Luck during the summer it is a much needed service you should be busy!

princessgirls
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your job. I hope the babysitting works out. It can be a nice side income.

I pay my "adult" summer/school vacation babysitter (my girls are 8 & 9 now) $10 an hour. It's the same person that has done this since I've had my oldest. She does it in her home, takes them out during the day for swimming, etc. She has a few kids that come.

I figure, she is home with more than just my kids, and I pay her in cash and it's tax-free. She's probably making close to $80-$100 an hour figuring in the other kids that are there. Her college age daughter helps her.
Julie:mickey:

DizneyRox
06-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Babysitting is baby sitting... Honestly, all those certifications would mean nothing to me (might make you a better candidate) in regards to pay for a babysitter. $10 a hour seems fair.

Now, you can leverage those skills and do some tutoring. You can get $50-$75 a hour one on one with needy students.

With school systems stretching themselves thin, I wouldn't be surprised to see many more students needing tutoring, etc. Which could be a boon for the teachers who lost their jobs, if they play their cards right.

Jillirose
06-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Take the time to get certified to teach online. I'm not sure what you taught, but in Michigan we have virtual classes for MS/HS students and they are always looking for instructors.

I just took a one credit online class to get state 'certification' to teach online. The class was four weeks and a lot a work, but it went by fast!

Also, check with your educational service district. They may have jobs that are related to grants and not permanent, in early childhood, vocational education, or literacy. The pay and bennies may not be as good, but you can keep working as a teacher and diversify your resume.

Georgesgirl1
06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Jillirose- I wish it were that simple. About 1,000 other teachers were also laid off in the county due to budget cuts and the economy, so there are a ton of teachers trying for the handful jobs that are available! I have looked into online teaching, but it seems like it is all MS/HS and I am only certified for Elementary. Plus, day care for DS is almost as much as a second mortgage payment, so I really would have to be full time with full benefits to even break even.

MidnTPK
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
How much should an adult with a teaching certificate, first aid certification, clean driving record, etc. charge per hour? Would you hire someone if they had to bring their own child with them?
Here in urban-DC, $15 an hour is the going rate for most sitters. We might pay one of the college kids less, but I always round-up and pay 3 hour minimum. I always want my sitter to want to make themselves available and want to come back.

My daughter is about to turn 3, and it wouldn't bother me if you had to bring your child with you, so long as I knew that up-front. I don't think that should impact your hourly rate. If someone tries to get you down because you'd be brining your child, you probably don't want to work for them.

meldan98
07-13-2010, 12:46 PM
You may want to look online for some educations jobs. I know a friend of mine got laid off and found a job working from home as a curriculum writer. She also does tutoring from home as well. I hope that things work out for you. Schools in our area are getting hit hard too.