PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair

Belster
05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Wondering how much a motorized wheelchair costs currently per day? Also, wondering if that cost is a deposit that you get back daily?

Will my mother-in-law need a doctor's note if she is unable to stand in line for long durations? If so, what exactly will the note need to say?

Thank you in advance for your help!

faline
05-30-2010, 09:14 PM
No doctor's note is required in order to rent an ECV (http://intercot.com/infocentral/specialneeds/default.asp) (electric chair). You may want to explore renting from an off-site provider for the duration of your trip rather than renting from the park. After all, you will not be able to take the ECV from the park to your bus stop or vice versa and some of the walks from bus stops to park entrances can be quite lengthy. Additionally, she'll be able to have it with her all the time, even when you're not in the parks.

I don't remember the most recent price for renting at Disney but I seem to recall they had a significant price increase in rentals about a year or so ago. Renting is not free so it's not the case of just putting down a refundable deposit.

ransam
05-31-2010, 02:16 AM
the note is something that doesn't have to be advanced. jUst something simple like you ahve a bad back , back knee, whatever, and they will issue you the past. Remember the CM who gives it to you is not a doctor.

Belster
05-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Oh no, I knew they were not a DR. I assumed that she would need a note from her doctor to state that she cannot wait in long lines. I am surprised that they would not require that???

cajunmickey
05-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Just got back Sat. I always rent my mom a wheelchair from an outside company. She can walk but not long the long distances of the parks. There are very few rides that you do not have to stand in even with a wheelchair. The new ride lines were designed wide enough for a wheelchair.
Any questions just let me know I will be glad to answer.

ElenitaB
06-02-2010, 11:44 PM
As others have pointed out, you may rent a wheelchair or ECV (not a motorized wheelchair but a scooter) on a daily basis at the entrance of each park. The cost is $12 a day per wheelchair and $50 per day for an ECV (plus a $20 deposit). Depending on the time of year and what time of day you arrive, you may not find ECVs available for rent. Also, certain bus stops can be rather far from the park entrance.

As for the ability to rent a mobility device, you do not need a letter from your doctor. Nor would you need the letter for the Guest Assistance Card (this has to do with privacy laws). You can certainly bring the letter if you'd like but it is not a requirement.