PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide...Port Orleans or ???

familyof5
05-30-2010, 10:39 AM
My family (husband+three kids, ages 8,10,12) are taking our first trip to DW in early December. Since there are 5 of us, I booked Port Orleans RS, with a trundle bed(our 8 yr old is very small) in the Alligator Bayou section. BUT, I recently saw a tour of the rooms online, and it seems pretty rustic/country looking. I already live in a rural area and want to get away from rustic!

For those of you who've stayed at PORS, Alligator Bayou...what are your thoughts? Or those who've stayed somewhere else and can recommend it, let me know!

crazypoohbear
05-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Unfortunately with a family of 5 your facing limits on rooms unless you have the money to spring for 2 rooms :(
We stayed at POR once and it was nice, but we really love POFQ but with 5 it's not doable for your family.
There are the cabins but again that is kinda rustic as well.
I think you could all fit in the wilderness lodge but I'm not positive about that one.
So unless you can afford 2 value rooms (connected) or a villa or deluxe you are kinda stuck.
I'm sure that you will have a great time wherever you stay. :D

KAT1811
05-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I know there are a zillion Intercoters that love POR but we stayed there for the first time for 2 nights at the end of our vacation last year and i was less than impressed. Not a favorite. With 5 people in that room you are going to be VERY cramped!!! We were 5 with our youngest being 8 months in a portable crib but it was evil trying to fit us all in. Never again for us it was just too tight. But that being said if it were the only way I could make it all work I'd do it.

Your options are limited since you are a party of 5. WL does not fit 5 in a room nor does AKL. So those are both out. You could do 2 rooms at a value, a family suite at ASMusic, or any of the deluxes other than WL and AKL.

elmjimmlm
05-30-2010, 11:32 AM
We are a family of 5 and we stay at POR every year... We live in a rural area also and I don't feel like POR is "country"... It has to be one of the best resorts at Disney with the best price... Even if you stay in the ASMu suites, you will pay more than POR...I think that if you stay that you won't regret it...:mickey:

Jillirose
05-30-2010, 12:04 PM
We stayed there a few years back, as a party of 5 and loved it. It was close quarters, but we spent most of our time at the World and in the pool!

#1donaldfan
05-30-2010, 12:39 PM
:mickey:....the only thing "rustic" about the room are the wooden beds.....there are two sinks, bathroom, privacy curtain, in wall safe, two full beds and one trundle.....outside, it's very laid back and shaded, with 5 quiet pools and one signature pool. There's a long list of things to do while at the resort (between parks)...boat ride to DtD, boat rentals, bike rentals, carriage rides, playground, arcade, food court and Boatwrights dinning.....etc....it's just a super, over the top nice place....IMHO !!

p.s.....we are from WV, so not much more rustic than that, plus we are seldom in the room, it's more of a place to sleep n shower !!!!

trapper
05-30-2010, 04:46 PM
We are a family of 5 also and stayed there in 2006. I loved it I certainly wouldn't think it is too country it is so nice and has the well manicured suroundings. The perfect Disney touches. I'd stay again!

Guya103
05-30-2010, 09:01 PM
My family and I have stayed at several resorts, moderate and deluxe, (there being five of us) and we absolutely loved POR. It is a fabulous resort and we have always had plenty of room. The resort grounds are beautiful and there is tons of entertainment. Unless you are very large people I think you will be absolutly fine. We always did a trundle for our youngest and it worked out perfect. Enjoy your trip!!

LuvAllPrincesses
05-31-2010, 09:47 AM
POR resort was fabulous. We went as a family of 4 instead of 5 our last trip so we stayed in a mansion at POR instead of the bayou. We live very rural, but the southern, lush feel of the resort was much different from northeast Pennsylvania. We will be sticking with POR and POFQ for future trips. If you aren't concerned about 5 in a room being a size problem, then nothing else should prevent you from keeping your plans at POR!

aurora, ariel, and bell
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
We stayed in AB in 1999 with 5 of us. My kids were 18, 17, and 9. They actually took turns on the trundle bed. We weren't in the room much and it was the first time staying on site so we just loved it. We were used to a trailer, so space didn't seem to be an issue.

We have gone back almost every year since and stayed at POR now usually in the mansions.

This year we are staying at POFQ and are excited to try something different, but there is still a concern we will miss POR.

Last year we stayed at POP, and took grandkids. Loved that resort too! But POR is our home away from home.