PDA

View Full Version : how do you divide up the costs

captigger
05-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Hello everyone!
I am new here, I've been a lurker for a long time and finally decided to join you all.
I have a question about planning a trip.
I am single and traveling with a single friend and her daughter and the daughters friend.
We are sharing a room and the kids, aged 15 will be sleeping on sleeping bags in the room.
My question is should I pay for half of the room or should I say we could split the room 4 ways as there will be 4 of us in the room?
Neither one of us has money to spare but I think that because she is bringing 2 other people we should split 4 ways?
This is our 2nd time to disney and last time we shared the cost 50/50. Any suggestions?

DizneyRox
05-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Total cost / number of people

Then the head of each household adds up the number of people they are responsible for and multiply that by the amount above.

At 15, they are real people and will take up the room of a real full sized person. There will be lines for the bathroom, they will have clutter, etc. 50/50 doesn't quite cut it with teenagers.

gerald72
05-29-2010, 08:46 PM
I would say you should definitely only pay your share of the food and tickets and transportation. But you aren't giving up any part of your bed. And the room probably costs the same whether it's two or four people. If they were adults, or if it was a surprise she sprang on you, I'd say they should pay their own way. But this is apparently something that has been planned.

retiredfigment
05-29-2010, 08:48 PM
What if the room was divided 3 ways and the friend that is coming is responsible for her share? Just a thought.

VWL Mom
05-29-2010, 09:24 PM
I would say you should definitely only pay your share of the food and tickets and transportation. But you aren't giving up any part of your bed. And the room probably costs the same whether it's two or four people. If they were adults, or if it was a surprise she sprang on you, I'd say they should pay their own way. But this is apparently something that has been planned.

I agree.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Hmm, this is a bit of a tricky one.

It sounds to me, since it was 50/50 on the last trip, that everyone assumes that it is going to be 50/50 again this trip.

For the room, although I can see the points all ways, it is probably just easiest to do the 50/50 thing, especially since you're getting a bed, and the kids are just taking up floor space.

However, when it comes to meals, tickets, etc you should only pay your share! Either buy your own, or pay 1/4 of those, since otherwise you'd be paying for one of the kids, and that isn't your responsibilty.

BTW, :welcome: to INTERCOT! I'm glad you stopped lurking and joined us :mickey:

SBETigg
05-29-2010, 10:47 PM
As Heather suggests, I would be gracious and go with 50/50 among the adults for the room, but just paying your share of tickets/dining/extras.

JoDisney
05-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I most definitely agree with Heather. You would be getting a bed, just the same if the girls weren't going to be there. Paying 50% of the room is only right. You would pay for your own food, tickets, and transportation. Enjoy!

buzznwoodysmom
05-30-2010, 10:13 AM
When I travel with adults (other than my hubby) and we have kids traveling with us we always split the room based on the number of adults.

kakn7294
05-30-2010, 04:27 PM
I also agree. Pay for only your food, ticket, transportation, and incidental costs. However, the room costs the same for 2 adults without children as it does for 2 adults with 2 children ages 17 and under. It's not until they reach the age of 18 that an extra charge applies. I would split the room costs 50/50.

captigger
05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
I can tell you that the bathroom line part would not be a big issue, we are all girls who just shampoo and go, no makeup, just shower, lather up the lotion, pony tails and out the door we go. Too hot to do a makeup session and it just sweats right off your face anyway.
we have all pre purchased our park tickets so that part also would not be an issue.
Food is always divided up with pay for what you eat.
the only real debate for me was splitting the cost of the actual room itself.
From most of the responses I have read here, I should just split the room 50/50 with the other adult.
I was just thinking that maybe it should be a 4 way split because the girls are as big as we are. but that might cause me to lose my bed from what some of you are replying.
Is this the general consensus?

Dulcee
05-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Since its already been decided the girls are sleeping on the floor I'd say the room should be 50/50

crazypoohbear
05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
In the past when I have shared a room with my sister and my kids we split the room 50/50. My sister and I slept in the beds and the kids on the floor.
A couple of years ago I shared a room with myself, my 2 boys and a friend of theirs, all teens. Because the other boy's mother paid 1/4 of the room the 3 boys took turns sleeping in the bed and the other 2 slept on air beds, (much more comfy than sleeping bags!)
I feel that if you are paying for the room itself you are entitled to sleep in the bed for at least part of the time.
Why would you pay the same price to sleep on the floor as someone who is in the bed the whole trip???
Everything else is every man for themselves as far as food, drink park tickets etc.
PS, It must be great to have a room full of girls who are not hair/makeup crazy!
Good luck in your decision

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Except how do you split this when there are park tix involved AND the "free" dining as part of the package? Then I don't feel that I would be responsible for 50% since I'd be paying for someone else's park ticket and the dining plan. Even though it's "free" it's really not, it's built into the cost of the room.

And depending on the cost of the package, it might almost be easier to get a second room for yourself. If I did that on our next trip, it would only cost me about $400 more. It would be a stretch but may be easier depending on your circumstances.

Fastpasssteve
06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Make sure you discuss this out in the open BEFORE the next trip gets off the ground. Expectations (spoken and un-spoken) are something we bring into any situations. It's best to make sure all are on the same page so feelings don't get hurt down the road.

Best of luck navigating a situations that you clearly feeling conflicted about...otherwise, you wouldn't have posed the question here on the board.

MuchLovedMama
06-06-2010, 10:21 PM
If your question is for the room price only then you should pay 50% because kids are free in the room. For tickets and everything else it should be per person.

forever a child
06-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I can tell you that the bathroom line part would not be a big issue, we are all girls who just shampoo and go, no makeup, just shower, lather up the lotion, pony tails and out the door we go. Too hot to do a makeup session and it just sweats right off your face anyway.
we have all pre purchased our park tickets so that part also would not be an issue.
Food is always divided up with pay for what you eat.
the only real debate for me was splitting the cost of the actual room itself.
From most of the responses I have read here, I should just split the room 50/50 with the other adult.
I was just thinking that maybe it should be a 4 way split because the girls are as big as we are. but that might cause me to lose my bed from what some of you are replying.
Is this the general consensus?

Since it doesn't sound like cost for room was originally discussed, I would plan on 50/50. Not only could you loose your bed but you could also perhaps have your friend get a little upset. Sometimes these issues can hurt friendships.

However, if my daughter were the 3rd wheel, as a parent I would feel like I should offer some cash for the room. So maybe the parent of the girl might make and offer to help with the bill (right!) But I would still just plan on 50/50.

Since my DD and I are always out about in hotels with the swim team, we often share hotel rooms. Sometimes it is one kid sleeping on our floor for the night. Sometimes it is a mother daughter. I share the bed with my daughter. Usually when the kid is crashing on the floor, they don't pay for the room but they might give me some gas $ if I drove them. Usually if is it the mother/daughter splitting the room with us even if there is an extra kid on the floor we still split 50/50.

Seasonscraps
06-07-2010, 12:08 AM
If you are comfortable mentioning a different split on the room, I don't think it's wrong to bring it up. Granted the cost of the room is the same with girls but you are sacrificing some comfort and privacy by having them there. Maybe suggest splitting the cost into thirds - you pay 1/3 and she pays 2/3 to make up for getting your own bed.

I know if I were the friend I would offer to pay more since her travel party is larger and regardless of who pays how much, I would never put an adult on the floor over kids.

PetefromRI
06-07-2010, 08:43 AM
You guys are friends,right?Just pay 50/50 on the room and be glad that her daughter has a friend with her so that you and your friend can spend some adult time while they do their thing.Plus having a bed to sleep in alone everynight is worth it's weight in gold.Have a great trip!

huslovesthemouse
06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Children under 18 are free in the rooms so that should be split 50/50 - as far as everything else goes - whatever the bill divide by 4 - you pay one share your friend pays the rest, that makes it easy at dinner not asking for separate checks, etc. Also, add the tip in before you divide

Seasonscraps
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I have to admit I am a little surprised by the overwhelming 50/50 split responses. What would the suggestion be if a third adult was staying in the room? Would the first two on the reservation split the room rate and the third person just pay the extra adult fee?

crazypoohbear
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I have to admit I am a little surprised by the overwhelming 50/50 split responses. What would the suggestion be if a third adult was staying in the room? Would the first two on the reservation split the room rate and the third person just pay the extra adult fee?

If it were 3 adults then I would imagine it would be split 3 ways because all three adults would be in a bed. you would pay the extra adult fee and a rollaway bed fee (unless someone shared a bed)

I know one year when the extra kid paid for part of the room, he got the bed part of the time. It was the fair thing to do.

crazypoohbear
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Except how do you split this when there are park tix involved AND the "free" dining as part of the package? Then I don't feel that I would be responsible for 50% since I'd be paying for someone else's park ticket and the dining plan. Even though it's "free" it's really not, it's built into the cost of the room.

And depending on the cost of the package, it might almost be easier to get a second room for yourself. If I did that on our next trip, it would only cost me about $400 more. It would be a stretch but may be easier depending on your circumstances.
I was thinking that we were splitting the cost of the room itself and I was paying 3/4 of the 2 day tickets attached to the room. Is this correct?
The way I figured it was the
Room $838.00
Tickets for 3 is 498.43.
So I would pay
$918.42. I hope this is correct cuz that's all I budgeted for! Maybe we need another night of planning.

PopPhan
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Hello everyone!
I am new here, I've been a lurker for a long time and finally decided to join you all.
I have a question about planning a trip.
I am single and traveling with a single friend and her daughter and the daughters friend.
We are sharing a room and the kids, aged 15 will be sleeping on sleeping bags in the room.
My question is should I pay for half of the room or should I say we could split the room 4 ways as there will be 4 of us in the room?
Neither one of us has money to spare but I think that because she is bringing 2 other people we should split 4 ways?
This is our 2nd time to disney and last time we shared the cost 50/50. Any suggestions?

You pay half the room and your friend pays half the room since the 15 year olds do not add anything to the cost of the room itself.

Each person should be responsible for the cost of their own park tickets. It is easy enough to break out the ticket cost, so you can come up with an equitable split.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I was thinking that we were splitting the cost of the room itself and I was paying 3/4 of the 2 day tickets attached to the room. Is this correct?
The way I figured it was the
Room $838.00
Tickets for 3 is 498.43.
So I would pay
$918.42. I hope this is correct cuz that's all I budgeted for! Maybe we need another night of planning.

Well then I guess it will have to be that way.......but I thought the package was around $1500 so I'd be paying over $600? And half the room at the Dolphin for approx another $375?