PDA

View Full Version : Seeking insight from those travelling w/legally blind person

mom2Z&A
05-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Hello fellow Intercotees...

I'm looking for advice and thoughts and I'm hoping you can help. I'd like to plan a Disney Trip that would include my mom who has been legally blind now for 11 years. She no longer has peripheral vision, can only see in black, grey, & white for the most part, and can see shapes of things but not the details. (Mom is 60 this year and very active)

I've been on two trips since she has lost her vision but would love to take her with us again but I'm not sure if she would have good time. To me, Disney is such a visual place.

Has anyone else been through this? I'd love to hear from anyone who has. I'm not sure if I am over-thinking this.
Thanks!

Dznygrl79
05-29-2010, 07:18 AM
I have not done this at the world but my mom is in a similar state due to retinitis-pigmentosa. When we travel we make sure of a few things, good comfy shoes that still allow her to feel the ground for changes in the pavement this can be really difficult for her to navigate, a good cane she is comfy with. Around the house we have one with a tennis ball end, but when we are outside we have one with are hard plastic tip mom uses the noise to determin changes to ground and surface. Also mom does not feel comfortable holding on to me in crowds so I bring a purse or beach bag with an extra log strap and she holds on to that.
Disney has a great guide for the visually impaired at the customer service centers or thge town hall.
Have a great trip!