PDA

View Full Version : Is It A Bad Idea To Cruise In September?

DisneyPrincess21
05-28-2010, 08:19 PM
We will be taking our first cruise, and will be going to the Bahama's on September 16th.

How likely is it our trip may be affected by hurricane season? I am starting to get cold feet because this trip is going to be costing a lot of money, and one of the main reasons of going is to go on the cruise.

We do have vacation insurance through Disney, if our cruise is canceled due to a hurricane, what does Disney offer you?

Should we reschedule for a different month, October, November, December?

TiggeRia
05-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I took a cruise (on RCCL) in September several years ago, and it was honestly a blast. We went in the middle of the month and it was a southern Caribbean cruise. It was a tropical storm the first several days and even rained in Aruba and Curacao, and our other two stops as well. We did our excursions in the rain, and it made it that much more fun. On our jeep safari, we were covered head to toe in mud, and I don't think my family or I have ever laughed so much or so hard. It may sound strange, but the rain really added to our trip. Not only that, but the cruise ships travel less during that month, so we were the only ship at every port we went to, which drastically cut down on the crowds. I say go for it!

DisneyPrincess21
05-28-2010, 08:57 PM
My concern is because they are predicting 16 hurricanes in the Atlantic this year, 12 of which are going to hit the hardest at the Bahama's.

PopPhan
05-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Just remember, they are ONLY predictions. Nothing is etched in stone.

A hurricane can brew up in the tropics at any time of the year, the June through November "season" is just when the tropics are at their warmest, allowing more systems to develop.

Chris (Strmchsr) could probably give you chapter and verse on hurricanes, but what it all comes down to is....

Make your plans and enjoy your cruise! :thumbsup:

Tink1
05-28-2010, 11:08 PM
I have no issue with September cruises, and have done them.

My thought is:

They are not going to risk a ship - Far too costly.

If a hurricane is threatening an area, they will sail somewhere else where the weather is good.

I may not end up where I planned to be, but I always have a good time wherever it is.

Nanc

DizneyRox
05-29-2010, 08:09 AM
We tend to go on cruises during hurricane season. Once you're out there, I haven't seen a problem. As mentioned, the boat is rather expensive and they won't risk damaging the ship to an avoidable weather related incident.

Last cruise our trip was sandwiched between two hurricanes that hit Central Florida. Our trip went without a hitch. The cruise after us ended up haing to stay at sea a couple days I think and finally dock in Ft. Lauderdale. The week before I eliee Disney had closed the parks a day.

It's a gamble, like anything else. It's one advantage to buying eerything through the cruise line (including airfare) as if something happens, they usually take care of everything. If you buy your own airfare, it's on you to rearrange (if possible) to get where you need to be. The ship WILL leave without you.

Strmchsr
05-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Just remember, they are ONLY predictions. Nothing is etched in stone.

:exactly: And keep in mind that the last few years those forecasts have been complete busts. I put about as much faith in those as I do in predicting what my 4 yr old is going to say today.

However, September is peak hurricane season, so it's possible. But you've received some great words on what will happen should that arise. Worst case, you have vacation insurance so just relax. Everything will be fine.

DisneyPrincess21
05-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. I talked it over with my family and we decided to reschedule for December for a few different reasons. December is our favorite time of year to go to Disney, this will be our 4th December trip in a row. We love going to MVMCP, cooler weather. Plus we were having trouble coming up with our money for the trip, so the extra couple months has worked it out so that we will be able to save up what we need to pay for our trip. Plus we really don't want to risk the hurricane season, or the possibility of being rerouted to a different destination.

We will still be going on our cruise, but we decided to go on December 16th instead.

Thanks again for the input! :wave:

johnO
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
We had a fantastic Wonder Cruise in September 2009!

Jeffybob
07-18-2010, 11:41 PM
The end of September, beginning of October is our favorite time to cruise.

Never had an issue with weather to speak of ... a rain shower here and there but nothing that would even come close to a hurricane.

Our next cruise is scheduled for September 24, 2011.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2010 - BWV - Valentine's Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB