PDA

View Full Version : Airline deals- how'd you get it?

BrownEyedGrrl
05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
What was the best deal you've gotten on a flight to Orlando? Where were you coming from, and how did you get the deal?

Just doin' some research! We would like to fly to WDW this fall, instead of taking our usual road trip. :)

Stu29573
05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I've had good luck with Orbitz and Kayak...

mymickey
05-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Kayak. Definately. You can sign up for their free alert and they will let you know the pricing everyday and whether it is up or down from the previous day. I got our tickets for $178.40 a ticket, roundtrip from Dallas/FW to Orlando. Now they are $251.

vicster
05-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I've gotten my best deals right on Southwest's website. I'm signed up for Ding so I get a daily alert of airfare specials.

ChipDale2708
05-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Booked my best deal ever when JetBlue announced their new service from Bradley Airport to Orlando. Perfect timing for us for our December trip! :mickey:

AirlineGuy07
05-27-2010, 10:33 AM
In the beginning of this month four of us flew SW IAD-MCO for $59 a person each way. About 2 or 3 years ago we flew for $54 each way. WE are 2-2 and half hours from PIT, MDT, IAD and BWI and IAD seams to have the best prices. We were originally going to drive but since we got a great deal flying would be better. Airtan, Southwest and Jetblue seam to have the best deals out of IAD. Just watch though because Airtran charges for the first checked bag. I go to each individual website to look for fares. Sometimes you have to go on each site everyday because the are changing alot. Good luck!!

DizneyRox
05-27-2010, 10:58 AM
I only check Southwest when flying (provided it's a destination that they service). I don't bother with any other airlines. I've found Southwest to be a good value, in terms of price/service. Until they screw that up, I'll stick with them.

I used some of the Priceline type sites in the past and that's just not how I travel.

MMFreak
05-27-2010, 11:15 AM
I got my deal on Spirit way back in February for our trip in August from NJ, round trip 136.00 PP. This was before they added the carry on charge and we are grandfathered in. We carry a few change of clothes in our carry ons and do a load of laundry while we are there.

I always watch and the closer the date gets the more expensive so I look a quite a few months before and have always gotten good deals just like this in Airtran, Spirit, & Southwest.

Figment104
05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I generally check the carriers website and that's generally where I'll find the best deals. Sometimes I'll go on expedia or one of those just to check what other airlines are flying where I want to go and then I go to their website and price it out there. I actually just scored round trip tickets for Septemeber, non-stop for $140 a person last week with Delta. I went back and check a day later and they were $230. You just never know how you're gonna hit it. :mickey:

i'm grumpy
05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
We watched a budget airline. Prices went up and up and up and there were extra charges I couldn't remove. So we went with Southwest.
Non-stop, no bag fees and a reasonable price.

Pirate Granny
05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I got $157 from Detroit to Orlando, non-stop on Delta...for both August and September...I started watching and actually one night it was $101...I'm sure it was a glitch, but couldn't get ahold of my travelling partner to book that night...next day it was up to $250...and I just kept looking at Delta, AirTran (out of flint is cheaper than Detroit), Southwest doesn't fly direct so I don't use them for Orlando...and Spirit...you just have to keep watching and I try to purchase at least six months out...AND NEVER look back...yea, I know it could go down...but it always seems to have gone up. The one reason we LOVE southwest is you can change you ticket to the cheaper one and get a full credit that can be used by ANYONE within the next 12 months...just wish they flew non-stop to Disney.
:pirate:

Zippy 1
05-27-2010, 01:28 PM
We fly Southwest almost everywhere! We have found that generally their prices can not be beat plus no luggage charge! Last time to Orlando from DIA was less than $200 per person for a direct flight.

tdk316
05-27-2010, 02:38 PM
$87 non-stop round trip from DTW to MCO via Delta for this October - gotta watch the fares! :mickey:

Depending upon where you're flying from, try to get a credit card from the airline which will sometimes give you points to use toward a trip. That combined with discounts, first air fare purchase discounts, etc. can help. Good luck!

ILoveLegos
05-27-2010, 03:31 PM
The best I have gotten so fat to date was a $10 each way flight a couple of weeks ago for Jet Blue's anniversary (EWR to MCO Rt - $40.10 per person with taxes & fees to be exact, of course it was for 9:00pm until 2:30 in the afternoon the next day - but it was a fun last minute get away - and I didn't need to rush back so soon :D).

Fastpasssteve
05-28-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm with Vicster and many others: I've gotten my best deals from Southwest, although last trip we got a good deal on Delta. The farther ahead one can book, do it.

If you want to risk waiting until the last minute, you could roll the dice with Expedia, Travelocity, or one of those.

TikiGoddess
05-29-2010, 08:54 AM
We always book with Southwest (usually from Hartford to Tampa or Orlando). To get the best price, you have to be vigilant. Check fares every day... sign up for email specials... watch Ding fares...

So far for our summer vacation I have rebooked our fare 2 times and saved us $130. This is the first summer that I haven't seen awesome deals on SW. Paid $475 (for 4 people RT) in 2006... Paid around $800 summer 2009. This summer I've only been able to get the fare down to $1300.

But I will keep watching until we leave!
Kathy

Spartan_Jeff
06-01-2010, 12:35 AM
When we are planning a trip, I usually check several sites at least twice a day. I also have price alerts set up on Yahoo. I just booked r/t from Detroit for 92.00 on Spirit.