PDA

View Full Version : Sister turned down for free internet

Aurora
05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
My parents and sister stayed at Saratoga Springs over the weekend (parents are DVC members) and when sis asked at the front desk about internet, she was told they'd have to pay $10 a day. She told the front desk CM she thought it was free for DVC members and was told no, it was $10 for everyone.

Is this true? She's writing to Disney about another matter but she may have to add this one if she was given wrong info.

Thanks.

DizneyRox
05-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I believe it's members staying on points... If your sister is considered a member (immediate family living with the members) then she should have been given free internet. It wouldn't surprise me if the CM was wrong, although for them not to know at a dedicated DVC resort, sounds a little strange. At BC or BW maybe, but at SSR, I would guess they would asdume first that poeple were members staying there.

Lot's of necessary info missing from your question to answer it correctly however.

Same room as the members? Is she a member using the above "rule"? Staying on points? Were they the actual members points or someone elses?

I had no trouble using the Internet last time at AKLV. Even used the WiFi out by the pool for nights on end. I am a member though, says so right on the contract.

d_m_n_n
05-26-2010, 06:02 PM
We had friends (no relation) give us points in December for VBR and BCV. The member had told me before we left we would get free access, but then on here I saw it was just for members.

When I went to the desk at VBR, they said it was going to be $10/day. I said forget it because we were leaving the next day, but then she said to wait. She looked at our account and said we did get free internet since we were on points and handed me the code.

At BCV, I asked for a code, fully prepared to pay, and nothing was said...she handed me the card and said Have a Magical Day!

DonLefNY
05-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Code? I've never had to use a code.

Tinkermom
05-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Internet is free for DVC members staying on points. As long as your parents were staying using their points they should have received free internet.

d_m_n_n
05-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Code? I've never had to use a code.

We were given a small business card with an access code that was good for 7 days at VBR. Now that I'm thinking, she gave me something at BCV, but maybe it wasn't the access code...

MinnieMommie
05-27-2010, 05:30 AM
I'm not sure what the problem was? If your parents are members staying on points and your sister was staying with them the room should have received free internet access. I'm guessing the staff was aware your sister was with your parents? We have used the internet multiple times while staying at SSR and have not ever had a problem.

Once while staying at BCV the internet connection in our room did not work. We were given a card with a code so we could access the internet in the lobby.

Ian
05-27-2010, 08:22 AM
I've never gotten any code to use. We just log on, accept the charges and it notes right there that if you're a DVC member staying on points your room won't be charged.

We did get charged once, but a quick trip to the front desk corrected it. Otherwise, it's never shown up on our bills.

To the best of my knowledge, your sister shouldn't have been charged. Sounds like another example of a CM out-of-the-loop.

DizneyRox
05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
It does sound like the CM was giving mis-information, however...

If the sister was in her own room, paid for using the parents points and the members were not listed on that reservation as well. It's possible that the sisters room is not eligible for free Internet. Also assuming that the sister is not a qualified dependent as well.

That's why I said, we need more info... I always list myself on the reservation(s) regardless of who's going to be in the room. Provided I'm there of course...

Zone Stop
05-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Internet is free for Member Points reservations. This does not include RCI exchanges or cash reservations of any type. If you know the Cast Member's name, can you PM it to me?

Aurora
06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
My sis is listed as an associate member and was staying in the 1-bedroom with my parents, who are members, and they were staying on points.

What threw her was that when she questioned the CM, who told her that it was a $10 charge no matter who you were, she felt the discussion was closed.

I guess since it seems to be a consensus that they should have gotten it free, she'll have to include this in her letter.

Ian, next time we'll just sign on like you did.

DisneyDudet
06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Is wi-fi free to members on points as well? We are at BLT tomorrow, and I would love to just bring my iPad for internet (I don't have the 3G version) rather than lug my laptop there!

DizneyRox
06-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I had no problems using the WiFi out at the AKLV pool, no charge on my room. I think you just signup, like you're going to pay, but the charge doesn't appear on your bill. If it does, ask the front desk, I'm sure they will remove it.

DisneyDudet
06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
This would be great! I really don't want to lug my computer out there. I don't think I'll need internet, except to research stuff, but I can do that from my iPhone.

I'm still debating about it.. but I guess It will depend on how much room I have in my luggage!