PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Travel Conclusion and Final Thoughts

faline
05-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Our flight landed just about on time. We were able to claim our checked bags (all came through without a problem) rather quickly and head to shuttle that returned us to our car.

Compared to Florida, it was rather chilly here and it was clear that substantial rain had fallen before we arrived though it had stopped before we hit the road. We had an uneventful ride home and returned to the office the next day.

Resort(s):
We ended up in two resorts. We had booked Port Orleans French Quarter and thought we had a king bed. When our reservation changed to an annual passholder rate, I did not check the new reservation thoroughly enough and we ended up in a standard room with double beds which did not work for us. Disney did work with us and helped facilitate our move to Coronado Springs where, at least, we had queen beds which worked much better for us.

Mousekeeping was not the best we have experienced. Just as we were getting ready to complain about the lack of attention, someone finally did a thorough, and much needed cleaning of our room.

The first room we had in French Quarter was in an ideal location. Our room at Coronado Springs was located some distance from El Centro which was not ideal but was okay. On all of our previous trips here, we had stayed in the Casitas section which was an easy walk from El Centro so we were a bit spoiled.

Weather:
Overall, we had excellent weather. We had a couple of thunder storms and some showers one morning. Nothing that really put a damper on the trip.

Parks:
They were a mixed bag. There was a lot of construction going on. It felt that every time you turned a corner, you ran into construction walls or scrims. It’s nice to see so much effort going into improvement in the parks but, at the same time, it’s a bit disconcerting to be faced with so much construction when you’re in a place that has illusion as a strong selling point.

Crowds were erratic. At some points, they were non-existent and we could literally walk unto rides – sometimes a bit too quickly. If we hadn’t already seen some of the queues and pre-show areas, we might have missed quite a lot of the setting leading up to the rides. At other points, parks seemed extremely crowded and it was difficult to get onto rides or to meander through the parks. Not sure what caused the extremes we noted on this trip.

The Flower and Garden Show was a bit of a disappointment. The topiaries were wonderful and there were still lots of special gardens. We greatly missed the floating flowers in the lagoon and there wasn’t a lot of evidence of special programming going on. We were there for the tail end of the show which also seemed strange as I know it used to extend into June. The Flower Power concerts have been reduced as well.

On the other hand, most cast members we encountered seemed to be in excellent spirits and trying very hard to ensure that guests did have a wonderful Disney experience.

Dining:
We ate in a variety of locations and canceled a few of the reservations we had made prior to arrival. I know that Ian recently wrote about a trip in which he had not made reservations ahead of time and how well he had made out with “winging it”. On the one night we did that, it did not work quite as well. We visited several places with no luck and finally ate at the bar at The Wave. It worked out but certainly not like the old days when I recall being able to walk into any establishment and be seated within 15-20 minutes of arrival without any reservations at all!

On the other hand, we were able to walk right into breakfast at Boma without any reservation at all which was a total surprise to us.

Food was generally good. Probably my least favorite table service this trip was House of Blues. Surprisingly, I think my most delicious meal was when we ate at the bar at The Wave. Le Cellier was good. Another surprise for me was the Grand Floridian Tea. I really enjoyed it!

Transportation:
Overall, transportation was quite good. While we did have some waits for buses, etc., none of the waits was extraordinary and we got to where we wanted to be in a timely way.

Walking:
I wore a pedometer most of the time. Exceptions included one day when I forgot to put it on; the day we arrived when I had removed it at the airport and did not put it back on; and the day we left when I, again removed it at the airport and did not put it back on. Still, by the end of the trip, it read 44.42 miles during the course of our stay.

Merchandise:
I wandered through some stores but didn’t find anything that overly excited me. I bought a few things at the outlet ( a few x-mas ornaments including one dated 2009 and a t-shirt for my nephew). In the parks, I bought a few CD’s but don’t remember what they all are. I know I bought Cirque du Soleil and a Sherman Brothers CD. I’m sure there were two more but I’m too lazy to get up and go look. I also bought a pen.

thejens
05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
I have enjoyed reading your whole "adventure report." I always love getting all the details. It sounds like you had a great attitude toward making the most of things. Sorry to hear about the interruptions to the illusion!! Thanks again for sharing.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks so much for the great reports, I have really enjoyed reading them.

I'm glad that there was more good than bad to the trip, and that despite the adventures, all turned out well.

mouseketeer mom
05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Linda, I'm sad the reports are over! I so enjoyed reading about your adventures. Lots of details and observations were noted and I love that. Interesting about the pedometer reading. Always wondered about that! How does that compare to how many miles you would walk in the same amount of days at home?

Hammer
05-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Linda, thanks for posting your reports. I really enjoy reading about you and Gene's trips to WDW.

KylesMom
05-26-2010, 08:59 AM
As always, a very entertaining and detailed trip report, Linda. I'm pleased that Disney worked with you to find a room that you were comfortable in, and it sure is nice to hear that most CMs were smiling and cheery.

I've just recently begun wearing a pedometer, and I usually average 5 miles a day. Even with taking two days off you walked 44 miles - I can't wait to try this! :D

Thanks for sharing everything with us! :mickey:

VWL Mom
05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Really enjoyed reading your reports, thanks for sharing. :mickey:

faline
05-26-2010, 09:43 AM
How does that compare to how many miles you would walk in the same amount of days at home?

My goal at home is to walk at least 3 miles per day - about 21 miles per week.

wildernesslady
05-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the reports. You always give the best opinions.

DizNee143
05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
overall..seems you guys had a really nice trip!
and i really enjoyed reading your reports!!!
thanx for sharing your trip with us! :mickey:

RedSoxFan
05-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Linda: I enjoyed reading your trip reports. Sounds like you had a great time.

DisneyorBust
05-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all of your reports, I enjoyed reading all of them. Your details and observations keep them entertaining as well! Thanks for sharing your vacation with us!

BrerGnat
05-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip with us! I enjoyed each and every one of your detailed reports. :mickey:

I can see how all that construction would be discouraging. That's sort of how I feel right now about DCA. It's construction madness over there now, and so many things are closed off. It's depressing to see it, but exciting at the same time.

Sounds like you had a great trip overall though!

ljv1975
05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for sharing about your trip. I enjoyed reading all of your reports! We just got back Monday night and I'm inspired to write my own reports now!

faline
05-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks for sharing about your trip. I enjoyed reading all of your reports! We just got back Monday night and I'm inspired to write my own reports now!

Great! I love reading trip reports!

pdrlkr
06-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the great Reports! :smickey: